Watering system

rolio

So, after my last grow going absolutely pear shaped due to some environmental factors plus the way water was being lugged upstairs its just unsustainable.. I was going to use compost instead of Coco to make it a bit more simple but after trying to find decent recommendations for compost I've concluded sticking with Coco would be best lol

I've decided to make up a dripper system using some sort of resovoir around 25l (for 6 plants) and a pump on a timer. I've seen people recommend maxijet pumps but I seem to find two brands using 'maxijet'..  which one is the reliable one? 

Are rings or stakes better? Any hints or tips before I blindly go buying stuff? 

• Like 2

An MJ1000 would do the job. The one I got was ‘newa’(?). I found the cheapest one at an online reptile centre so have a look about. A topspin dripper effort works for me. They have 12 stakes so that’d be 2 a plant. For timers a Meross plug from the big river would suffice although mine can only be set at minute increments. I’m sure there’ll be summat for shorter time durations. 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

@rolio - @mikeydoughnut has it nailed, topspin dripper is great, I would remove the inners so its free flow, cant stand all that restircted 2l per hour nonsense

Either a Newa MJ1000 or Hailea HX-8830.

Keep everything 13mm piping

Dont forget an anti syphon valve or youll end up with a whole resovoir of nutes in your grow tent - need that to stop the flow when your timer shuts off

• Like 2

This is an open flow system, simple feed ring with two spouts per plant with feed lines running off a diy manifold and a

maxijet 1000 pump (this will comfortably do 9 plants)

The feed pipe and fittings are all 4mm and 13mm manifold and the reservoir is underneath so the system is self contained,

leakproof and heat from the nutes keeps roots warm. The bit's and pieces to build this are cheap and easily sourced online.

large.SSCN0973.JPGlarge.SSCN1394.JPGlarge.SSCN1397.JPGlarge.SSCN1422.JPG

• Like 5

6 hours ago, sweettooth said:

topspin dripper is great, I would remove the inners so its free flow, cant stand all that restircted 2l per hour nonsense

another +1 for the topspins here, and also a +1 for removing the gubbins on the inside. Its probably worth mentioning that they are no longer pressure regulated when you take the insides out, so if you plan on using more than one topspin you will have to loop the line.

e2a: a maxijet is fine for 1 topspin, but if you do plan on using more than one you'll need something with a bit more poke.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, hashbrown said:

Dont buy one to break it, make one for less than 2 quid. And can take a water sample asswell. 

Your design there won't give even pressure.

@hashbrown How? -  you have to loop the lines, unless you are using pressure regulators, otherwise water flows down the path of least resistance which is typically the end of the line (where I imagine you have the tap turned off)

e2a what im saying is that each dripper might give some flow, but I can't imagine they're all the same unless I am missing something about that design.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

I can't imagine they're all the same

I've tried this design and when first switched on the outlet nearest the pump started then the others followed in sequence

until the pressure in the 13mm pipe equalled out, then the flow was near enough the same...however...

if the pump isn't strong enough or there's a drop in pressure the outlet at the end of the line will stop first and so on.

As you say, much safer to have the manifold as a complete loop which equalises the pressure ...:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

I've tried this design and when first switched on the outlet nearest the pump started then the others followed in sequence

until the pressure in the 13mm pipe equalled out, then the flow was near enough the same...

How though? There is always more pressure at the closed end of the line so water flowers quicker from the end outlet and decreases the closer towards the entry point, the bigger the pump the quicker it happens rather than even out. I tried with designs like that and it never worked lol

Am I missing something? Does one end of that sit in the same water the pump draws from? Like on a Wilma?

• Like 2

@GSZZ

Sorry not very good pics but the white hose is closed off on the right hand side, the left is attached to the pump.

With 9 feed lines running to the pots. It worked but I do prefer the closed loop.

large.SSCN1027.JPGlarge.SSCN1080.JPGlarge.SSCN0953.JPG

• Like 2

Here is one or should i say 2 that are working. As you can see the back ones are a bit out of control but i am working on it as my flower tent is half full.the lines coming off the drippers are blocked just folded and cable tied. Room for a few more thats on its way.:smokin:large.pro-XKKR5Smt.jpeg

• Like 1