Nitrozyme in a hydroponic reservoir

DreamCatcher

Ive used the Growth Technology line before with success. The Superdrive and Greenfuse (grow and bloom only, not root) did absolutely fine in the reservoir. The full pH swing took about 5 days to complete in 30L of nutrient solution (pH 5.3 - 6.3).
I am considering using Nitrozyme as well this time around, but not sure if i can use it in a reservoir, people have reported its quite viscous and im worried a bit about humates being in there.. I can still foliar feed with it, just wanted to ask if anyone else used it and can share experience. :)

:bong:

I haven’t actually used it in a hydro system but my advice would be don’t bother asking anything to a Reservoir that contains organic ingredients and my reason for this is due to how much it affects the ph of the solution which usually needs adjustment daily if you do.

For example I stopped adding Roots Exelurator to my res and since then the Ph stays very stable and I find that I don’t have to adjust it at all which means I’m not adding loads of PH down daily like I were before when I was adding it to the res and in turn that  leads to a more stable solution overall with the NPK kept in check and not affected by added Phosphoric Acid.

• Like 2

@Notorious B.U.D

I was relying on the pH swing to be able to guess when to change nutrients, instead of adjusting it.. for example, I know that nitrates make the water acidic and that they are mobile nutrients (uptaken within the first hour of introduction), depending on whether I am in veg or flower, the water keeps getting either alkaline or acidic, that tells me roughly what's being absorbed by the plant, when it gets alkaline in veg I know that nitrates have been absorbed, when it gets acidic in full flower I know that Potassium has been absorbed. That how I understand it at least.

When the pH is out of the healthy range (5.3-6.4) then I change the reservoir with fresh solution. 30 litres lasts 5 to 7 days.

I also had a very bad experience with "Foundation roots stimulant" from Intense Nutrients and since I stopped using it I stopped getting brown slime, cyanobacteria.

That's when I changed to Growth Technology and used their additives with, well I'd say major success.. and some are marketed as "organic extracts". I was wondering whether Nitrozyme will play along nicely.. I might just have to try it :P

• Like 2

I can see where your coming from taking that approach but I have a feeling the Nitrozyme will affect the ph quite a bit especially over the period of a week which will be due to the organics in it and not necessarily an indication of what nutrients are being taken up but I don’t suppose there’s any harm in you trying it out, worst case senecio is just a simple tank change.

Why is it you want to add it to the res anyway I’m just wondering what benefits you think you’ll get from it on top of using your normal base nutrients?

• Like 1

For the sake of good record keeping, and closure of course..
I am now back to report the results after 2 days of using Nitrozyme.

2 lots of 10 litres of water have been made, about a day apart.
On each occasion i used 5ml of Nitrozyme per 10L of water.

Within 16 hours of making the first batch and pouring it into the reservoir, i couldnt detect anything by looking at the water, but the pH rose from the ranges of 5.3-5.6 i made it, to 6.5.
The main pump malfunctioned, it was on but no water flow. Tried to investigate whats going on but was so baked that i didnt actually realise the problem. I unhooked the feed line from the halo and blew hard into the pipe, then it started working again. I cleared the sediment filter off any rockwool debri cuz i was suspecting thats what caused it.

Next day.
I changed the water and included Nitrozyme again (i only make 10L at the momnent), second batch, run the pump and left the room.
A good few hours later, i come back to run the pump, and again, its struggling to pull water. So i decided to open the res to investigate.

First glance, nothing major, just a few bits of rockwool..
large.651c4f4406b01_Day12nitrozyme.jpg

Or so i thought, until i lifted the small pump.

large.651c4f415bf96_Day12Nitrozyme(1).jpg

And unhooked the sediment filter without blowing into the feed line

large.651c4f433056a_Day12nitrozyme(2).jpg

That is not rockwool sediment.. that is all Nitrozyme.

Now we know.
Now the community knows, despite it being included in the schedule, it is not appropriate for a reservoir.

Using it for foliar feed it will be then! :D

:yinyang:

• Like 4