NFT Tips

UK Gorilla

Hello guys, newbie to NFT systems! Also new to the group so hello all!!

I’m after some advice on do’a and don’t I’ve just started with NFT literally 2 days into the transplantation and I’m just super worried I’ll fuck something up and of course I don’t want to wait 6 weeks before I see the fuck up!

TIA guys 

@UK Gorilla

OK, NFT isn't at all forgiving...make sure you get a really good rootball before going into the system otherwise they tend to drown.

If you can get some pics up it will help to see how it's going...:yep:

• Like 2

Probably not the easiest method for first ever grow but my first grow was hydro. Main things to keep a eye on are ph/ec nutrient temp make sure you’ve a good flow with no pooling on the spreader Mat check your pump regular as the flow can diminish from where you set its flow rate usually down to the filter getting dirty . Good regime is getting into taking that out weekly for a clean and I grew in nft for 10 years plus is don’t constantly top your reservoir up run it down and change the whole lot as a weekly job be a lot quicker with bigger plants and summer time run a water heater in colder times and don’t run a heater in the summer but circulation pump . Another thing to remember is ph changes with temperature amount of people who’ve made there tanks fresh batch up then next day go shit iv got ph probs iv root rot etc lol and all that’s happened is the ph has changed due to water temp fluctuations lol . Try not to let it go over 21c try to keep round 19 easier said than done . Make sure the plants are covered over the corex board so light doesn’t hit the root Matt when you put the spreader Matt in the top tray run some into the reservoir so you eliminate the water running off the ray into the tank noise. Above all enjoy the experience and is handy to have a diary write everything down you do in the grow so you can read over time and see what worked best for you .

• Like 2

I’ve also bought growers ark hydro chems for hard water as I’ve seen on a few forums on here they’re really good chems! The current EC is 0.8 and PPM is 500 PH is 6.0 if anyone has a graph image of what the EC and PH would be that would be extremely helpful 

Just now, UK Gorilla said:

Appreciate what you’re both saying, ill

get some photos up this evening, is there a way of DM people on the forum?

Need 50 posts mate to pm 

• Like 1

@UK Gorilla Strangely my first ever grow was a NFT tank and tray system. It was a steep learning curve. EC and p/h are god (get meters). Keep your roots covered with Corex board and a relective sheeting. Get a nutrient heater in your nutrient tank (important!) & some airstones. and airpumps. You will get good results if your environment is good.

Change the tank every 14 days.

Good luck padawan

Edit: Get some Yoyos to hold the plants up when they get get bigger. 'No substrate'.

Re-Edit: (Oh shit! yeah.) Welcome

Edited by Lux_Interior
Yoyos
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

NFT is amazing!!!!!

-Make sure your cuttings/seedlings have fully rooted out what ever media your using (I use 1” eazy plugs and their 3”eazy cubes, far better than rock wo or anything else I’ve ever used tbh.) 

-People say change nutes every 14 days and top up, I do every 7 days with a top up between.

-Do use the spreader mat, people

say it’s not needed and it’s not, but in my xp it’s best with it.

- I use 2 x Nutriculture GT 605 (70cmx 35cm) side by side, they hold 20 L, but I only put in 15 for the first few weeks and only around 17 the rest of the time as with 20 it’s too full.

-Get the aquarium heaters and set to 20C, this will keep the res 18C this time of year.

-Set your pump slow (1/4-1/2 speed) for the first few weeks, then 3/4 the rest of the grow.

-You WILL need to learn to top, trim, band and manipulate as growth is extremely fast, even compared to a Wilma system, I’d say the only thing faster is DWC.

-Don’t have plants directly in front of one another, try and have them diagonal, so they all get great nutrient film.

-SCROG is made for NFT!!!

I use PH perfect nutes, Advanced nutrients Micro, grow and bloom.

voodoo juice in veg, start bases at 1/4 strength and work up 1/4ml/L weekly

flower use AN micro, grow and bloom.

big bud and overdrive as boosters (start at 0.5ml/l and up 1/4 ml/week)

I use bud candy weeks 5 flower-flush not all the way through like recommended, I find this doesn’t affect the taste so much but gives it plenty of carbs and resin production when I start with the overdrive, but nutes are personal preference, I just love the ease of them and my plants are always v healthy.

obvs you’ll want to keep your ph range of 5.8-6.2 so set to 5.8-5.9 and it should drift up over a few days to a week.

If your environment is all dialled in temps, airflow etc you’ll be golden.

ATB.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greenfingers1987 said:

I’d say the only thing faster is DWC.

I'm up for the challenge...here's my system/s...

large.SSCN2433.JPG.73e9ae69e17279b540c26f86538ba13e.JPGlarge.SSCN2418.JPG.7b760dc3a8ccba293db2cc3f5a7fa129.JPGlarge.SSCN2401.JPG.317d488f8852dba116ad32eed2cce3b7.JPGlarge.SSCN0953.JPG.c1722b629d04d3dd9cff6d238a712e63.JPGlarge.SSCN0972.JPG.0a0690e6c27dde060d19db6fc7d73dc8.JPGlarge.SSCN0908.JPG.d449f8f2bd9fc6b7d7fcdda77b795f73.JPG

No medium, roots are free to roam on the table or in the pots....

Feed... same nutes as you + Buddhas Tree PK...nowt else...

More details in my profile bud...:yep:

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I'm up for the challenge...here's my system/s...

large.SSCN2433.JPG.73e9ae69e17279b540c26f86538ba13e.JPGlarge.SSCN2418.JPG.7b760dc3a8ccba293db2cc3f5a7fa129.JPGlarge.SSCN2401.JPG.317d488f8852dba116ad32eed2cce3b7.JPGlarge.SSCN0953.JPG.c1722b629d04d3dd9cff6d238a712e63.JPGlarge.SSCN0972.JPG.0a0690e6c27dde060d19db6fc7d73dc8.JPGlarge.SSCN0908.JPG.d449f8f2bd9fc6b7d7fcdda77b795f73.JPG

No medium, roots are free to roam on the table or in the pots....

Feed... same nutes as you + Buddhas Tree PK...nowt else...

More details in my profile bud...:yep:

Looking v.tidy bud, hydro is amazing when you get into it and dial things in.

trials and tribulations along the way.

I’ve often thought about getting solid tops made for my systems with 2 inch by 2 inch deep net pots and putting well rooted 1 inch cubes in them rather than rooting out 3 inch cubes. But then this works I suppose, rather be wicked and lazy these days.

Ill pop a pic up if I remember to grab a pic later, don’t really take/post pics like that these days, just pop in and out now and then and down sized further with the groom now.

nice to see you about the boards anyway pal, I’ll have a peek at your profile.

• Like 1

I grew NFT tanks in my loft (years ago). Yield was good. Amount of work - Meh!
Don't get me wrong NFT systems kept in check are very good.

In my case checking P/H and EC of the tank (religiously) became a chore. The fact I was growing in a loft was another issue. Renewing the two 40 litre tanks every fortnight was fun. I used a garden hose (and the tank pumps) to empty the tanks into the toilet in the bathroom below. Then I had to carry 80 litres of water up a step ladder to refill the tanks. I swapped to compost for an easier life and then...

...I moved back downstairs. I'm already using Coir (that's a gateway substrate). I use A&B & P/H my feed. I'm doomed.

I'm also considering a Wilma system.

(never done that before).

• Like 1