Root Stim in Coco?

GreenVision

Hi all. Current grow in coco, I'm looking into root stim's atm and was wondering how folks get on with using the "Brown" type root stims in coco?

As a rule of thumb for me I dont use anything organic etc in coco, its always been more a hydro medium for me, if I want a root zone full of microbe's etc I'd be using soil.

Trouble is the vast majority of root stim's these days are Organic based. PM', BioBizz etc all heavy thick brown liquids, all you have to do is smell them to know they're organic. In soil I'd be 100% OK with that, and usually do use PM, but in coco I'm concerned the Brown thick smelly stuff may not belong?

There is Shogun which works well in hydro as it's NOT a heavy Organic based one, it actually a greenish liquid, Canna Rhizotonic is also quite low on the Organic side I think as its very thin and much more "Chemically" smelling than the traditional brown stuff.

Need to order some over the weekend so I'm hoping a few folks here that use coco can let me know which Root Stim they use and how they get on with it.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Just now, GreenVision said:

Hi all. Current grow in coco, I'm looking into root stim's atm and was wondering how folks get on with using the "Brown" type root stims in coco?

As a rule of thumb for me I dont use anything organic etc in coco, its always been more a hydro medium for me, if I want a root zone full of microbe's etc I'd be using soil.

Trouble is the vast majority of root stim's these days are Organic based. PM', BioBizz etc all heavy thick brown liquids, all you have to do is smell them to know they're organic. In soil I'd be 100% OK with that, and usually do use PM, but in coco I'm concerned the Brown thick smelly stuff may not belong?

There is Shogun which works well in hydro as it's NOT a heavy Organic based one, it actually a greenish liquid, Canna Rhizotonic is also quite low on the Organic side I think as its very thin and much more "Chemically" smelling than the traditional brown stuff.

Need to order some over the weekend so I'm hoping a few folks here that use coco can let me know which Root Stim they use and how they get on with it.

Cheers.

Im using CANNA RHIZOTONIC mostly as foliage spray but have used it in auto pot tank as well without problems to be honist dont think you need in tank works just as well misting em with a spray bottle twice a day

• Like 2

The brown stuff is humates, it does usually split a bit and stick to the sides of the tank but its not that bad imo and a bit of sponging once every few tank changes is enough to keep it at bay. Humates do help microbial life, promotes root growth, theres some stuff that suggests it homogenises cannabinoid ratios across the plant, and it helps to chelate the nutrients to make them more available across a wider pH range which is well handy. 

If you do wanna steer away from humate based stuff, I'd recommend Dutch Pro Take Root (which is a clear odourless liquid) or Shropshire Seaweed which is also very clean, has a tiny smell though but its not bad.

• Like 7

@GSZZ  Its not the smell etc, just dont want anything unexpected in the coco.

If the usual stanky brown stuff works as well in coco as it does in soil without doing anything nasty to the coco then TBH I'd rather use the brown stuff, its a good price and has always done me solid in soil.

Just never used it coco so I was just being a bit cautious rather than assuming it would be OK to use the heavy Organic stuff with coco.

You might remember me asking about plant stems? Got some of that Solar Green Power of the bay, about a week or so into using it now, once a week foliar and constant with nutrients. But the clones are into 1 litre pots now and I wanted to give the best possible chance of giving me better results / thicker stems, hence the Q's about root stims in coco. Usually I just leave coco roots TBH, they tend to do OK, but these clones / strain is hard work.

@GreenVision thumbs up for root stim / tonic in coco, I wouldnt be without. Currently use the vitalink stuff but recently bough a truck load of GA nutes ot start my adventures with. Nothing wrong with adding microbials too, currently using Mamoth P and have used others in the past. Ecothrive make coco with thier charge in it whihc helps with microbes so its not just soil growers. Coco is great as its a hydro type medium but is completely inert so needs all the goodies you can find added for healthier stonger plants. Same counts for silica too

Yeah I use lots of organic additions to my coco.

Bio Bizz fish mix

Eco thrive Charge

Eco thrive biosis

No negative effects at all.

These are all added in separate waterings, so not to my main tank. Generally weekly feeds.

I would say adding a brown root stim would not harm the coco or your plants in any way. More likely to benefit it.

I just wouldn't go using it in your res.

I use Shoguns root stim as you mentioned in your post at the moment. Very stable and sits in the res without any problems. I like the price, and it works well. 

Is there a reason they charge so much for rhizotonic for example?

The A+B seem very reasonably priced. The rhizo just seems like pure profiteering.

I am using it on this grow (first coco grow) but if its OK to use something like maxicrop i might use that instead. Its like 1/6th of the price.

Edited by Strawberry Fields