If I flipped to 12/12 now could I take cuttings monday?

David Attenborough

You can take cuts whenever you want.  As it gets later in flower, it gets more difficult to root them.  Then, once they're rooted, they will have to reveg.  Generally, it seems to take about as long for them to reveg as the time that they have been flowering.    So if you take a cut in week 6 of flower, I'd generally expect it to take the plant about 6 weeks to reveg, after it has established a root system. 

I'm playing with this at this moment.  It is worth mentioning that, it seems, humidity control is more critical when attempting to root a flowering cutting.  They will produce a lot of condensation in the rooting container/dome/cup/whatever.  If you don't manage this environment, the clone will rot and develop mold. 

But it's totally possible.  I just rooted two cuts from an outdoor plant that was probably 6 weeks in flower. Now the wait on the reveg beings. 

• Like 4

Today I’ve taken 4 wee cuttings from a plant that’s been over 9 weeks in flower :D 

Just plonked them into a cup of water,

sitting in the shade in my veg cupboard.

My cupboard stinks now lol 

Let’s see what happens in a few weeks :v:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Just plonked them into a cup of water,

what's this method (ive heard a few times lately) hows it done? can it root cuttings, or is it just for cuts from flowering plants?

mystic

• Like 1
Just now, mysticriver said:

what's this method (ive heard a few times lately) hows it done? can it root cuttings, or is it just for cuts from flowering plants?

mystic

Its literally just putting them in a cup of water. They will root. Years ago i tried some in a cup of water in my shed, no direct light. They all rooted. They were taken two weeks into flower. Cuts taken in veg would probably root quicker. 

Edited by Strawberry Fields
  • Like 5
10 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Let’s see what happens in a few weeks 

I'm predicting if they root you'll get really annoyed with the shitty weird growth that takes ages to f off. Sometimes I get a bit lazy and put a plant in flower thinking I'll take some cuts in the next few days but you know what stoners are like so after about 2 weeks I finally take a couple and get the silly leaves. It pisses me off immensely lol It's that bad now that I'm taking them before I put them in flower (the proper way).

• Like 5
2 hours ago, KC said:

I'm predicting if they root you'll get really annoyed with the shitty weird growth that takes ages to f off

I'm in no hurry for them to root and reveg,

if they even do root at this stage,

the rest of the plant is almost ready for harvest :) 

As I already mentioned to @Gaijin I think it was,

i've got a good reason for not to be taking cuttings of each plant before flowering,

that is I have more seeds than Attitude Seedbank lollol and I'm trying to work my way through them,

since each individual pack was bought with the intention of growing them out,

not just creating a seed collection :D 

I'm more likely to get paranoid about the strong smell of fart can gas in my veg cupboard lol 

3 hours ago, mysticriver said:

mystic

This was the simple technique that my mum used to use for all of her houseplants,

it's such a simple technique that it doesn't matter if they all take or not.

All I do is first of all,

add 1ml of MagCal to 1 litre of water and shake well(because my water has almost no Calcium or Magnesium).

Then I half fill a plastic cup with this adjusted water.

Then I select the pieces of plant I want to use as a cutting,

often using lower parts of the plant as I find they are more likely to root in good time(like 2 - 3 weeks),

removing a stalk from the plant and stripping most of the growth from it,

just leaving a few leaves at the tip.

I then use my snips to lightly scrape away some of the soft outer tissue of the base of the stalk,

then place into the cup making sure that the stems are all touching the water,

if not then top up the cup :)

When I'm watering the rest of my plant in the veg cupboard I'll have a quick peek to make sure the base of the stems are still covered by the water,

if not I'll top it up from the bottle I made up with the MagCal :yep:

Atb

• Like 9

If I tried this would putting a little bit of kickstarter and Foundation in the water help root quicker?

(In the context of cuttings from a vegging plant)

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

I’d maybe add a touch of Foundation,

but I wouldn’t add any KickStart as it has a good dose of Nitrogen in it and might reduce the chances of rooting.

When a cutting uses up its available Nitrogen from it’s leaves it then generally starts to produce roots,

so adding anything with much Nitrogen isn’t going to help.

I sometimes add a tiny drop of Seaweed concentrate :) 

Atb

• Like 2
On 16/09/2023 at 7:26 PM, Shumroom said:

I sometimes add a tiny drop of Seaweed concentrate :) 

Aloe Vera gel also works as a rooting aid.

Cut a part off the Aloe Vera plant to reveal the gel.

I did it. I had some success.

I now use a brand name rooting gel. Planting the cutting straight into a glass of water is important whatever you intend to do. It stays in the water until its ready for a trim and straight into the rooting medium.

Environment is important too for rooting cuttings.

• Like 1
On 16/09/2023 at 2:34 PM, Shumroom said:

I took these the other day :) 

large.cuttings.JPG

I’ve never taken cuttings at 9 weeks before,

so we’ll see if any of these put out some roots :) 

Atb

Can you keep us updated on this? Haha

• Like 2