thrip options

erbivore9

I have picked up thrips for the first time, still quite an early infestation. Just coming up a week in flower and I was wondering if riding it out was an option, bailing out and doing a full clean up is not possible due to time restraints. I wouldnt dream of trying with spider mite but I dont know with these fuckers so, can you get a crop with thrips on board?, vaped only if that makes a difference.

You can ride a crop out with thrips but vigor and yield will be reduced depending on how bad the infestation is.

Going forward if you've got a few different spaces IE a mum/veg space and flower space then I would highly recommend you start implementing some pest management right now otherwise you're going to have a real headache on your hands in the long term. Contrary to what I used to believe, parts of the thrip life cycle do indeed happen in the medium as well as on the aerial parts of the plants, so total eradication can be very tricky even with systemics & trans laminar insecticides - even predator insects on their own won't crack a thrip infestation imo.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, erbivore9 said:

can they survive with no pots or plants about?.

Yes, they can overwinter so if you're going for this tactic make sure that your entire grow is spotless, so there are no corners of medium or any foliage knocking about that might act as a resevoirs for them.

• Like 1

In 8 weeks thrips will get best out of your plants IMO, how many plants you got?

If it's few plants I'd try to carefully sponge leafs and stem with neem or something, avoid bud sites? Drench top 5cm of compo as well , at least it will slow them down

They like heat so I would keep Temps at lower end

One week in flower you could foliar and soil drench with spinosad.  It should get them in 2 x applications 3 days apart - it's organic and safe to use.  

• Like 2

@erbivore9

I use Thrip Guard 'n Aid, works great. Get a fine pump action spray bottle, mix up a litre and soak them at lights off, repeat in 3 days, make sure you get the under side Of leafs and all pots, substrate surface, EVERYWHERE!!!!

Guard 'n Aid is pyrethrum based so organic and safe (comes from chrysanthemum flowers)

Don't have them anymore, just the odd mite infestation now, Avamax sorts them for me

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbal Kint said:

+1 on Spinosad if it's avaliable and theres no bud sites yet, worked for me.

3 hours ago, sn00py said:

One week in flower you could foliar and soil drench with spinosad.  It should get them in 2 x applications 3 days apart - it's organic and safe to use.  

Spinosad is systemic, and does not degrade the same under artifical lighting like it does outdoors. One producer in the states, I remember reading, had applied over 100 days before harvest and still spectacularly failed testing, as my understanding is it reproduces inside of the plant. 

Its without question, you will be smoking spinosad if you use it. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies. I decided on Wednesday to give them a thorough soaking with Harkers( last of the bottle and all I had), I know its a little late but at 6 days in and with plenty of stretch to go I doubt it will be a problem, although whether one hit keeps them from spoiling the day will need to be seen.