Dried and Cured, How can I store well for as loooooong as possible?

jimineycricket

Friends,

Looking for advice on long term storage techniques.

I managed to dry and believe I have reasonably cured my 40 grams of flower from my small 1 plant tent set up. ( burped jars 2x daily for 1 month).

I am really happy with this cannabis. Its just what I was hoping for . A low strength strain with lots of CBD.

Ideally I can make this last a very long time as I only really need a little pinch to mix in with the CBD flower I vape from the CBD shops.

My other half does not like me growing it at all.

So If I can keep this harvest for as long as possible it would be ideal.

Right now the flower is in sealed glass Kilner jars with rubber bungs / metal clips , about 90% full , in the dark with one of those boveda packs in each jar for what its worth. 

Beyond this is there more that I could do to get this flower to last a year or more?

I saw some guides to vacuum sealing in plastic and then freezing. Beyond what I am already doing are these the extremes you'd need to go to for super long term preservation?

Thanks 

J

• Like 4

Ditch the boveda’s they’re not necessary and they have a reputation for stealing flavour from the buds :( 

Just like expensive wine,

keep it consistently cool and dark :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 8

Congratulations with your CBD grow:yep:

Screw top Kilners,  can be stored for over a year, somewhere in that time you will want to open the jars for a second just realese the co2 build up.

After a year you will have to use some kinda rehydration boveda or other method like a fresh leaf but not before as it would be counter productive.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 5

Vacuum packing really does help, then I'd keep it somewhere cool and dark. The only reason I wouldn't freeze it is I don't know what would happen, I've never done that before.

I know some hash producing countries bury their hash to keep it cool, bit excessive for us though.

• Like 3

Just do what you are doing but lose the boveda packs, a year is nothing I've had weed stored for over 2 years smoked fine 

Edited by MySoulIsMine
  • Like 5

Agree with all the replies,  just keep your bud in airtight Kilner jars and in a dark cool place. 

I'm smoking some White Widow CBD at the moment from 2021 harvest,  and it's still a super enjoyable smoke. 

• Like 2

Most of my own jars , ranging from this seasons to numerous years ago are stored in the dark and cool as poss.

Kilner storage wise -   i store in a brick outbuilding ,  in the dark and its pretty cool.     Some jards been there 5 / 6 yrs and it still smells fine :yep:  

New seal every year. 

Vac Pac storage wise  -   i keep in the same dark & cool outbuilding.      Had some out for years ,   i open every year and reseasl/  

Freezing -   i rarely freeze  ,  have done but for shorter periods ,   froze directly after a 5 day air dry so it was slighly damp.    No issues and used in cooking.

Cobbing is the method i need to try  ,   space saving / minimal effort /  seems to offer a great long term storage options     

Cant comment on codding  ,  but for terms of long term storage & end product quality   ,  for me i prefer my kilners.

Convert to MCT  /  Oils  is another space saving  /  long term friendly.   

Lots of options.     Do a few and see what you prefer. :yep:

• Like 3

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Sounds like they are good in the sealed jars in dark in coolest part of house.

I think I'll ditch the boveda have heard enough people say they effect the flower.

• Like 2

@jimineycricket  The Boveda packs are only good for rehydrating the bud after a long time if you plan to vape it, old super dry bud ain't the greatest, you only need one in there for one day for it to do it's job, But never use them in the curing process.

But a fresh leaf will do the same job that's needed:yep:

Edited by Military Grade

@ratdog  That's what i do too mate :yep: i got these little ones from Home Bargins for less than a pound each. Definitely a great idea to stop opening the main jars.

large.63d47eb6b383f_LastoftheDeepCandy.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I use Grove bags and a heat sealer for my long term storage. Absolutely zero smell from them when sealed. I still use the clip down kilners until the bud is dry, but they’re not smell proof (mine anyway). 

The buds cure beautifully in them :smokin:

• Like 1

large.63c871b693c8c_FinalHarvest.jpg

I use glass jars. Each jar has a small little hygrometer (they cost peanuts for a pack of 10) and the 2 way Boveda humidity satchets, 62% RH.
Kept my buds like this for a long time, the smell and taste got better with time. I would imagine you can keep them like this indefinitely if kept in darkness..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second the cobbing plan.  I've just opened a mighty gold cob for the second time after an eight day ferment vac sealed.  The smell upon opening was absolutely incredible, almost overpowering.  It needed a slight trim before resealing ;) and will stay sealed a few weeks this time. Sample vape was a half full bowl in the solo 2 and it hit me like two bowls of other non cobbed strains I have would.  A half Oz cobbed well is about the size of my index finger.  Should store very well either bag or jar sealed.  I can also recommend using the earth as a temp control as have an off site barrel with clip top lid buried up to its neck in a dry location. It's close enough to send me the temp and humidity constantly via a weather station and is a lot more stable in both than anywhere else. 

Good work on your grow, @jimineycricket. It's a while ago so this might not matter, but - 

Separate containers.

If you're opening/closing one and it's 'out' for use, the rest will store better left alone. Split up into regular jars that seal tight; glass with seal and metal wire lever grip closure thing is great. You can get all sizes. Split in to those and put them in the freezer or in a box in a good loft, maybe, somewhere the temperatures don't change too much. It will store for 2+ years if not more.