Encourage side branching?

David Attenborough

Any thoughts? 3 weeks in, some have side branching some dont, what do you guys do about side branching and how/when do you trim/top your plants?

• Like 2

Could you include some photographs of the plants in question?

Are they photoperiod or auto flowering varieties?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Photoperiods

I normally top after the 4th or 5th node then train all the branches to the same height, then veg it out some more while readjusting the ties on branches.

This will encourage the branches to grow out sideways, this also let's more get to the lower nodes on the side branches letting them grow upwards through the middle branches in the centre.

If I'm growing bigger plants then I will top twice.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 2

Totally agree that topping causes the plant to become bushier but you don't need yo do that, you can train the plant by tying her down causing her to spread out horizontal. 

I cut at node 8 on on photoperiod and day 18 on autos back to node 4 

• Like 1

toppen-Custom-720x628.jpg

4 fotos...in this way....by taking the cissors 2 times  1time left above...2nd time right above......you create 16 tops...which stay smaller...less chanche of mould....

but you need to bind the plant together...with wind they can split...outdoors...

Edited by DutchFox

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I did some LST and some supercropping, I was hoping I could train them under a net but they are too small and stocky for it, they are flat though and even on top with a good 8-12 bud sites ontop.

When you flip to 12/12 do they actually produce more nodes during stretch or do they just grow taller between existing nodes?

Just now, Shumroom said:

Our plants usually continue to grow from the tips during blooming,

as well as stretching between the nodes :yep:

Atb

So if I flip to 12/12 there wont be much need to train horizontally under the net? I am just wondering what path to take with the net , I am flipping to 12/12 , the net will make it hard for watering and access but if it helps get the most out of it then I dont mind the extra hassle.  large.WP_20230907_18_22_18_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

I only tend to use netting to provide a wee bit of extra support :) 

I don’t usually use the netting to train them.

He normally only runs one plant at a time but the principles are similar,

@Notorious B.U.D does SCROG master classes.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/424515-generals-daughter…/

Definately worth checking out :thumsup:

Atb

• Like 3

@Shumroom  I'm the opposite way round mate lol

I use the net to train but not for support as the silica takes care of the branch's.

My last grow I foolishly tried to remove the net at harvest in one piece :doh:, never trying that again, aways to my surprise the branches on both plants were all rigid and in place in the canopy.

Made me think of trying to remove it earlier into flower to make it easier to still hang the plants whole when drying.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

I only tend to use netting to provide a wee bit of extra support :) 

I don’t usually use the netting to train them.

He normally only runs one plant at a time but the principles are similar,

@Notorious B.U.D does SCROG master classes.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/424515-generals-daughter…/

Definately worth checking out :thumsup:

Atb

Thats the kind of thing I was hoping to do. i left it too late to do the LST . I should have topped at the second node weeks ago and pinned down the branches. Supercropping helped but they just went mad after that and bushed out. I am hoping the stretch during 12/12 will let me fill the net out a bit but it wont be a proper scrog by the looks of it.

• Like 1