Home made water cooling “AC”

Hogro

So after having heat issues for sometime now even after going with LED units I’ve decided it’s time to invest in some form of Air Conditioning / cooling but as well all know the portable units are no use what so ever! 

With in mind this and hours of pondering I may have found a solution.

large.IMG_2023-08-24-202355.png

Plum this into my intake fan ducting with a water chiller controlling the cooling with a temp sensor attached to the chiller to cut off when needed.

no need to worry about extracting hot air separately my extract fan will sort that, no additional noise and a nominal running cost.

Time to pull apart my suggestion, so what do we all think? Sensible idea or complete rat shit haha? 

Edited by Hogro
  • Like 4

you use drinking water i think.....and its  not free

drinkingwater is in summer also high in temperature....some 18 degrees is normal...

how ever groundwater is a lot cooler in summer 6 degrees can be the solution.

there are systems of semi-closed growing using cold groundwater pumps and chillers....

i think its hardly worth the effort using drinkingwater......and whats the costprice of the chiller ?

Edited by DutchFox

Did you construct that yourself? It doesn't look like something cheap to make.

A bigger extraction fan is where I'd go, I think!

What about utilising a cars air con set up ,  12v power supply  & drive motor is cheap / plenty of cars breaking and aircon set up is cheap.    Quiet too. 

Use a viraible switch or a controller to regulate temps , poss work from your own temp controller.        Most systems could run large scale tents & rooms. 

• Like 2

@OldFordIt would be neat and efficient if you could fit an evaporator in your inlet ducting and a condenser in the exhaust ducting, like a mini mini-split AC unit lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

@OldFordIt would be neat and efficient if you could fit an evaporator in your inlet ducting and a condenser in the exhaust ducting, like a mini mini-split AC unit lol

With the amount of cars breaking im sure a cheap & pretty efficient could be put together for not a lot of cash. 

Never actually occured to me until this post ,  i will be going indoors next season for breeding so may well be something i can look into :yep:

always up for a mechanical challenge mate :)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2023 at 0:20 AM, Lux_Interior said:

Did you construct that yourself? It doesn't look like something cheap to make.

A bigger extraction fan is where I'd go, I think!

No definitely not constructed by myself. The unit is £120, didn’t think it was bad at that price.

I already have a up specd fan so going another up will pull the doors off my tent knowing my look

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hogro said:

No definitely not constructed by myself. The unit is £120, didn’t think it was bad at that price.

I already have a up specd fan so going another up will pull the doors off my tent knowing my look

OK, that's an of the shelf unit. £120 sounds fair. Let us know how it performs.

@Hogro I've been thinking of the same system. an old housemate used to run one similar but his water chiller was a second hand large 12v food box chiller filled with water but wasn't too efficient.  I wonder how much the water chillers would reduce the temp of the water,  if the loop isn't that big and its constantly going round, it should drop and maintain a coller temp. Until now haven't been able to find a boxed rad, would you mind messaging me the link to that. would work awesome in my closed loop system.

don't worry, just Google "cold water duct cooler "

cheers

Edited by sweettooth
google

@Hogro Hailea HC-100a Water Cooler - chiller is about £260 or have you seen cheaper chillers elsewhere.

will also need a pump, the above matches up with the hailea hx 8810.

Edited by sweettooth

plenty of DIY coolers on utube if you search. You could even use an old dehumidifier or ice maker and bend the evaporation coils into the water. You could also go the glycol route and get even colder temps..

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...