Help settle a debate

Flavoured_

What's up dudes, back after a long hiatus

I need people's help to settle a debate between me and a friend. When it comes to watering in soil (Biobizz specifically) what method do you use to measure when to water? (ie pot weight, finger test, leaves drooping)

Thanks folks

Peace&Love :v:

• Like 1

Pot weight is best, you don't want the compost pulling away from the sides, certainly not to the point where they droop. The make of fertilser won't make a difference :rockon:

• Like 3

Pot weight is the one and only sure-fire way.  Lift it up and know.  No guessing, or dipping of fingers into the top inch of driest soil.  Leaves drooping is an indicator that you should lift the pot and discover if it needs water or is unwell.

I quit biobizz years ago, they changed its formulae and its weak as f***.  Using Intense Nutrients now, although I see Dutch Pro gives a better flavoured end result.

Try other nutes ;)  

Edited by Inspiration101
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KC said:

The make of fertilser won't make a difference :rockon:

28 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

Try other nutes ;)  

I think he means Biobizz soil, not nutes.

11 hours ago, Flavoured_ said:

When it comes to watering in soil (Biobizz specifically)

I agree with others, pot weight is the best metric. But don't forget the plant weight increases as it grows so you need to compensate for that.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys, in regards to the biobizz comments what would people view and suggest as a better quality soil/nute combo?

• Like 1

Im using plant magic soil and love it, only my second run on it but both times I've had some proper healthy roots, I'm currently using shogun terra nutrients for the second run too but if you want to stick to organic I'd recommend intense nutrients

• Like 1

On 20/08/2023 at 11:57 AM, KC said:

I don't think I've ever tried Biobizz compost, it always looks really shit.

I've only tried a few, a few westlands types, Clover, BioBizz all mix and BioBizz Light mix, BioBizz Light Mix is by far the best i've used. also works great with Intense Nutrients :yep:

plan to buy a few more bags son before everything is peat free.

• Like 2

Always pot weight. I once had to lay an inch of sharp sand to the soil surface because of gnats and that was really difficult to tell whether it was light or heavy so I used a Blumat moisture meter. Pretty effective. 

Lifting the pots seems to be the best way, the difference from freshly Watered to a day or two later is quite significant in weight when lifting.

Do you Lift bra? lol

(Sorry)

Edited by Military Grade

I used to go on weight but don't even bother now.. what might be heavy to you could be light to another person.  I also uses to do the finger test but that's crap when you've a 20L pot and another 13in you can feel! 

Best advice is buy a soil PH/moisture pen for less than £10 on the river site and you'll learn that way, it was recommended on another site and made a world of difference to my plant 

I bought one last week when I posted on here about my plant having issues and TBH the advice given in that thread wasn't that great!! Not one person asked if I was over watering.. 

You'll learn alot more on YouTube or Instagram 

Edited by Darknight420710