Making compost on site

Crow River

@Crow River   I was more thinking a furrow as opposed to deep trench ,  just to help divert the deluges ,  would still afford you native soil as opposed to hole digging to gain some. 

Hay for def in the mix as will aid with soil temps in earlier kick offs and later season left over cookouts / 2nd trims ,  with you being thaqt bit colder than i ,  i reckon it could be quite beneficial. 

Im having a good root around your diaries and keen to see how Quackers the ducks have got :)  

• Like 1

Just now, OldFord said:

@Crow River   I was more thinking a furrow as opposed to deep trench ,  just to help divert the deluges ,  would still afford you native soil as opposed to hole digging to gain some. 

Hay for def in the mix as will aid with soil temps in earlier kick offs and later season left over cookouts / 2nd trims ,  with you being thaqt bit colder than i ,  i reckon it could be quite beneficial. 

Im having a good root around your diaries and keen to see how Quackers the ducks have got :)  

Maybe in the heavier soils an irrigation channel or mounding up furrows could be useful right enough. I have clay soil at the embankment plot, but lots of stones in the mix too so my impression is it drains fairly well. Also the plot is most of the way up a slope, so water runs off downwards. At the bramble plot, if anything the soil is too free draining. Lack of water retention is the issue there. 

The Ducks are done this season except for the Frisians. I have a couple more clones going out soon... :) 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Just now, Crow River said:

Maybe in the heavier soils an irrigation channel could be useful right enough. I have clay soil at the embankment plot, but lots of stones in the mix too so my impression is it drains fairly well. Also most of the way up a slope, so water runs off downwards. At the bramble plot, if anything the soil is too free draining. Lack of water retention is the issue there. 

The Ducks are done this season except for the Frisians. I have a couple more clones going out soon... :) 

Sounds like an ideal scenario for Wet & Grow as it helps rettain water in the soil mate ,   if your going to have a bash with RJ's FP ... he also does similar :yep:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Sounds like an ideal scenario for Wet & Grow as it helps rettain water in the soil mate ,   if your going to have a bash with RJ's FP ... he also does similar :yep:

Hm, worth thinking about for sure. Never tried wetting agents, the need hardly arises round here! :D But for the bramble plot could be helpful maybe... Could try water absorbing crystals there next season (assuming all goes well until after harvest of course).

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1