Intermittent Cold Periods

Axiom

Hellos.

So it was pretty cold last night, a few degrees below average. I was wondering what the implications of a couple hours at 16-17c would be immediately after lights off?

It's the only time period I can't seem to regulate with consistency.. this has been happening on and off for weeks now with the lows usually being around 17.5 and above. 

I've got oil rad on timer but there is always at least an hour of rapidly dropping temps. Do I need to resolve this or can I focus on more pressing issues for the time being?

:yinyang:

You'll get slower growth but more importantly that's a recipe for budrot later in flower. The sudden temperature drop causes condensation to form.

You could dim the lights gradually for the last hour or thereabouts so the temperature drops more slowly, some LEDs have a facility to do that automatically built-in. But ideally keep the temperature up even during lights off.

• Like 2

Be careful,I've experienced the same these last few days,and just discovered some budrot! I've had to crank the heating up in August ffs. Just contemplating whether it's worth moving the 'day' to our night time to balance things out a little better,but it's probably not worth the trouble at this late stage for me .

• Like 1

@mikeydoughnut

Last night the highs for the night were 25 and then the sharp dropoff occurred from 22c down to 16.5c and humidity rose to max out at 70%.

I got dehumidifier in there, I guess that's better than nothing for defence? Might chuck another fan in there too. 

1 hour ago, Mr mcgregor said:

Be careful,I've experienced the same these last few days,and just discovered some budrot! 

Sorry to hear that mate , I'll be checking my buds thoroughly tonight then! Did you get any temp /  humidity readings?

If growing indoors get some tube heaters, they don't cost much to run and knock out decent amount of heat, use them to keep the lights off temp up and this will in turn lower the rise in humidity at lights off.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

... and found the ol’ puffy mould erupt out of dried weed when trimming it up. Fucking heartbreaking. 

puffy mould? I had a bag of wispy 'bottom buds' which may not have been completely dry but it looks fine and when I agitate the bud it gets puffy like dust. Is that a definite waste then or can I make edibles with it maybe? hmm... The bud itself looks okay to be honest. I might try throw a pic up. 

I never thought about the Dew point. I'm actually in week 5 now. This budget talk. is scary and makes me only want to stick with strains I know to be mould resistant! 

@Axiom Try to automate the dehumidifier and oil rad to come on 30mins before lights out and dry/warm the room a bit as that steep a drop is a recipe for budrot.

The top buds nearest the light will go from being warm and dry to being cold and damp - the water condenses inside the flowers and gets trapped giving you perfect conditions for botrytis in the last 3 weeks of flower.

• Like 1

@mikeydoughnut Can that puffy weed be used to make extractions / edibles? Surely high heat, ISO and stomach acid will deal with any bastard  mouldy puffs? 

Edited by Axiom