Are 4/5 inch filters worth it?

Daffyduck

Hey everyone, hope you are all well 

Just looking for a little advice around carbon filters. 

My options are get a top 4/5 inch filter and fan that actually suit the required cfm for my groom of 0.7x1x1.8 run at mid point for power. However I don't have confidence that a 4 inch filter will be any good and have visions of me ripping it all out mid flower to swap fans. It's going to be avery well insulated/ concealed loft grow. 

My other option is 6inch fan and filter run on really low. Looking around 400 cfm fan with matching filter but tun on speed 2/3. 

Is the 4 inch going to be any good for smell if not will the 6inch set up on low work still on aoe power. 

Will be running a 130w led so need to be adaptive with climate over the seasons with heat but it's a double layer superquilt loft with a double layer superquilt box so should help a little

Was looking at ac infinity and mountain air for both options. 

Any help will be really appreciated. 

Once the build begins, next few weeks I will run a diary of the build and grow. 

Happy to spend what is needed for results and safety so any advice on setup will be good

Edited by Daffyduck
  • Like 1

So long as you’re not growing in an attic space the 4” option should be just fine :yep:

I think that a 250W light would probably be more suitable for the area you’ve mentioned above :) 

EC fans are definitely the way to go if you’re setting up an LED grow :thumsup:

Welcome to UK420 

Since you’re new,

I’d recommend popping into the new members section.

Introduce yourself to the community and there’s also a thread about how to upload photos,

as sometimes a photo is the best way to get lots of information in one go :D 

Atb

I’ll see you around ;) 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Amazing, thanks so much. Yes il go over there and say hi. 

Yes it's in the loft, a well sealed and insulted one. But a loft non the less.

• Like 1

Lofts can get incredibly hot during Summer month’s so a 6” EC fan might be necessary.

There’s a bunch of people who grow in their lofts on here.

They’ll no doubt drop in and share their thoughts when they spot this thread :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

@Shumroom youre such a nice guy,. always accomdating to the newbies (u looking for a mod upgrade lol)

@Daffyduck hi fellow loftie, always go bigger if u can, also great for keeping noise levels low, only concern is a 6" can and fan in that size space. see if u can go inline filter instead and have everything outside your grow area, maximise the height for the light and the space for plants

Youll be doubling that tent size soon so always buy with the intention of future projects

• Like 2

Good afternoon sweettooth. 

Yeh it's a great point and one that I have been racking my brains over. In that room I'm going to have a 60x60 scrog probably training one big one into it. 

I have kept the other space to hopefully allow me to hang what I need. I thought making the room a little bigger than needed may help me with environment control also. 

The room will be built with the slope of the roof and then going flat for the light to hang. So was thinking of hanging the filter on the upwards slope

But as you know I'm clearly going to expand so was even thinking of have a separate boxed off area in the eves to hold both fans which will allowe to use the full room ( going 4inch intake from a bedroom ceiling below). It's been in planning for a few weeks now and I am going to great lengths ripping out, Re insulation of loft and Re boarding with a hidden door at the end. 

Thank you for the help there, really appreciated and has given me something to think about :cowboy:

I'm going to be starting on Wednesday with the Re fit of the loft. I'm loosing sleep like it's Christmas eve I am that excited to get going 

• Like 2

Got myself an AC infinity 4" lite in a 60x60x140 ... but that's a tent, as for lofts not my area but if I was to I'd go 6" so you can have the extra capacity in the summer.

I would recommend an AC infinity along with a 69 bluetooth controller, worth the extra money. There's a thread for the controllers

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/426225-ac-infinity-69-controller-owners-club/#comment-5839083

:thumsup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The loft is very hot in summer and winter really cold so just know that you are going to need heater and if you are using a 100w light your not going to flower more than 2 plants max with that 

I've flowered 4 in a 60x60 with a 100w light no problems, it's not the plant count but the size of the footprint you're trying to light with X amount of Watts, and par maps.

Tho you gonna need a half decent brand 100w light

Edited by Military Grade

I have 2 80x80x160 tents both running a 240w led and 4" fan and filters, I only usually have my fan set on 50% unless we get a really hot spell then I will turn it up a bit...

I'm not in a attic though.

• Like 1

If I was starting from scratch in a loft, I’d recommend ac infinity for everything, lights, extraction and air circulation and controller 69. Then I’d recommend extracting air to outdoors somehow using either chimney or something to fix any humidity issues, and knock out 2/3 grows from November to May only. Summer can be brutal for indoor plants, especially in a loft. This summer has been cool but next year we could get over 40°C, so put some plants in the great outdoors and you’ll be good. 

Summer is my best time in the loft, because it gets hot and I'm feeling cannabis likes it hot. The rest of the year is shit lol

Although this year has been terrible, my average temp at floor level is 23.7c this month. I run a rvk 150L which exits through a pipe for the bathroom extractor which is about 100mm or 125, I can't recall. It's smaller anyway. I intake from the house using a rvk125L. These both run through a sms hybrid controller so they're not running full whack, most of the time they are just turning over except when we have a summer then they ramp up.

If i was replacing them I would go for the systemair K series Ec fans but sadly I just replaced them before I really heard about Ec stuff. My last rvk was running constantly for about 18years. It was still working when I took it down but I just couldn't get my head around something lasting forever and the ducting was rank lol

I doubt cheap chinese goods will last that long, I could be wrong though, it's just not something I'd risk.

• Like 1

Amazing, thanks so much everyone. Been on with sorting the loft and now Re boarded ready to be insulated and the false wall put in. All my plans are pretty much in place, 2 things I have been debating 

1) which ec fans to buy. I'm going for stealth so want to oversize and run low. Toss up between, revolution vector (fing expensive but if worth it will consider) ac infinity with controller or a silenced fan like hyper or mountain air but mountain air seems to be good apart from lack of controller options. 

2) will a 150/500 mountain air filter OK being run on about 100m3/hr? Just conscious that will not be enough draw for it to scrub effectively. Or am I better reducing the 6inch fan to a 5 inch filter 

Will be venting just up to the air gap in the eaves, hopefully this will not cause condensation in the loft? 

Edited by Daffyduck
  • Like 1