how faster growth and how often you watering in COCO??

gandras

Considering to move to Coco from Soil.. is it true that you need to water in coco EVERYDAY? And how faster growth in coco? Is it noticeably faster, will it save 3days or a week or more? Thanks!

• Like 1

Definitely quicker imo... Hard to say how much but they seem to veg quicker.. You can feed more often in coco (everyday - sometimes multiple times a day) 

You will get some good help on here bud!

Atb.:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, L3D said:

Definitely quicker imo... Hard to say how much but they seem to veg quicker.. You can feed more often in coco (everyday - sometimes multiple times a day) 

You will get some good help on here bud!

Atb.:yep:

I was only vegging 4 weeks in soil, so if it's only faster vegging i won't win much :D

• Like 1

lol im not sure if its even possible to speed up the flowering - Deffo worth a crack tho mate, I think you can prob get bigger flowers due to the amount you can feed them though, less chance of pests apparently too...

Ez mate:yep:

Just now, gandras said:

And how often you water? I use 12L air pots 

I run 6L airpots, depends on plant size and stage of growth, after potting up, water once every 3 days, once rooted, once a day, currently in mid flower and water twice a day for 50 seconds, not 100% on the amount, really need to measure my drippers to understand the quantity, I do get run off though, sometimes swap to 4 feeds but at 25 seconds. Current run is in 4.5L idrolab pots but same type as airpots, the aim is to fertigate more frequently to feed then more

• Like 1

Airpots dry significantly faster. How often depends on the environment and how much moisture it will hold. If your goal is yield, once or more a day is better. I do it once a day or every other day. I don't let it dry out completely. 

• Like 1

I’ve grown in coco since 2009 with a few small breaks here and there when I either tried soil or full hydro. 

I use an auto feed system and frequency depends on pot size, plant size, room variables etc. 

if I utilise an 11L pot and grow 2 plants under a 300w LED utilising a 3ft x 3ft footprint and a scrog then I veg generally for around 8-10 weeks from seed and by the time I am in full flowering mode I can be watering 2-3x a day. 

if I utilise 7L pots for the same grow style then I can be watering anything up to 6x a day. 

if I use 18L pots then it can be 1-2x a day. 

if I run small clones SOG style in 3L pots it can be 3-5x a day. 

in 12L airpots I would be expecting to be watering approx 3x a day in full flowering, utilising 1 feed every 8 hours with first feed being at light switch on. 

• Like 1

It seems if you want to handwater coco you need to wait until retirement. 

Automation isn't for me as I'd fear a leak coming through my ceiling. 

I do hate watering plants :wanker:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KC said:

had about 4 of these now, the trick is protection

under my 200L tank I have a 10cm deep 1.5x1.5m tray which will hold 230 litres.

under the tent I've slid in some damp proofing plastic and also have a tray under the dehumidifier where my condensate pump is.

to be fair tho , all the leaks I've had haven't been from my irrigation system per say, more stupidity from missing a dripper line and keeping water at the bottom of my tent or forgetting to place the dehumidifier run off into my tank and instead letting it chuck out 50 litres over a couple of days.

other damp patches have been from condensation in the tent leaking though the floor, now everything I have is in some sort of flexitray

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KC said:

hand watering with big enough pots can be done once per day. 

if you veg under 8weeks then 18L pots will allow this. 

otherwise it’s pretty simple to setup an irrigation system. 

large.CF5F6953-2919-4951-A9EE-CF3766AEC680.jpeg

black is my reservoir with pump on a timer and a circulation pump 

yellow is my runoff catch tub. 

create a pressurised ring around your plants and lines off the ring to the pots. 

couple stop valves etc and a quick release for the reservoir to be able to remove and clean etc. 

large.88FAF493-E16B-46FA-A3DA-2A71A4433D5D.jpeglarge.8B34DDC7-4D20-4894-B382-5D6761440C26.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

Get on the wilma systems mate.

No chance of a leak with them but they do Rob a foot or so of headroom as the pots sit ontop of the res

• Like 2

If you want guaranteed leakproof mine does the job, it's a flood and drain modified to run an open-flow top fed system.

The res is underneath and all pipework etc is contained within the table top, no chance of anything leaking out.

Same can easily be done with NFT tables as well...

My system is also medium free, nothing in the pots except roots, plants are top fed 15mins every hour 24/7

As there's no resistance around the roots this system has less veg and flower times than most.

More details are in my profile...:yep:

large.SSCN1032.JPGlarge.SSCN1397.JPGlarge.SSCN2356.JPG

Edited by stu914
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, sweettooth said:

under my 200L tank I have a 10cm deep 1.5x1.5m tray which will hold 230 litres.

I thought you grew in the loft?