Is 9 in 6.5l's too much?

Strawberry Fields

Planning my first coco grow. Do you think 9 in 6.5l pots is too many? In 1.1m x 1.1m space.

Ive done 9 in there in soil before and it was a bit packed.

I have three three packs so was wanting to run them all.

Edited by Two Tents

i think the most i have done is 9 in 5ltr pots, all the same cuts and flipped as soon as the leaves filled the area

you could just be brutal with pruning, maybe three main (best) branches per plant?

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, catweazle1 said:

I've got 9 in 3L pots, double-topped in a 1.2.

i had 12 in 7.5's + in a 1.2 last run, got a good return on that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

I do 9x 6.5L in a 1.2m pretty much every run no problem, just don't veg them too long

Do you use root-pruning type pots? Also, anybody else.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

No just regular square plastic pots - with clones it's even easier as 9 pots gives a nice 3 x 3 spread across the tent and makes it very quick/easy to fill:

large.full-canopy.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I use fabric pots and "plant dense" - around 6 plants per m2 (actually 6.25, so 9 in 1.44m2, but you can't have .25 plant in 1m2 so I adjust down for spaces x 1m2). I've planted as high as 12 per 1m2 (or rounded up in spaces x 1.44m2 to 18) with good results, but I prefer the former.

e2a: currently mucking around with coir slabs, using the same numbers. Results are inconclusive as of yet, I want atleast a years worth of data before I make the call to fully switch or not but I like it.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 4

Cheers all. :yep:

Looks im doing 9. I wanted to do the 9 to maximise my chances of finding something good. Will prob do less in bigger pots in future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That's not too much by far. 1.2m x 1.2m could even fit nine 11 liters easy, with space for a small desk fan and whatever else. Wouldn't be limited by root space unlike those 6.5l pots, though the coir makes up for that a fair bit. Could be a bit of a problem though reaching the far end if you're hand-watering with a screen on there (so the plants can't be easily moved around anymore).

I've previously used an old 60cm by 60cm tent with 6.5l plastic pots for the whole cycle and it's been just fine, light power limited, though I've had to rig up a free-dangling computer case fan in there cos of no floorspace left at all which is always a fun thing to find with my fingers in the dark :)

• Like 2

I am doing 8 x 12l in a 1.2 x 1.2, I did a lot of LST and supercropped each plant , I didnt do topping. The plan it to screen it low and keep tucking through the stretch. I havent flipped yet nor fitted the screen (50x50mm squares) and the tent is already full , my end result will be lots and lots of smaller tight buds directly above the screen rather than allow them to grow through the screen towards the light.  So its basically packing it all in tight on purpose. If each 50mm hole has one or perhaps two buds popping up through it I'll be happy. If you search for LBH's famous ScROG tutorial on google you will see what I mean.

• Like 2