Officer who wrote Met’s drug strategy had flat like ‘Amsterdam coffee shop’, tribunal hears

dan6

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/31/metropolitan-police-officer-drugs-strategy-cannabis-tribunal

Officer who wrote Met’s drug strategy had flat like ‘Amsterdam coffee shop’, tribunal hears

Haroon Siddique
3–4 minutes

A senior Metropolitan police commander who wrote the force’s drug strategy regularly smoked cannabis before going to work, a tribunal has heard.

A nurse who lived with Commander Julian Bennett towards the end of 2019 described the flat as “like an Amsterdam coffee shop”.

Sheila Gomes told the tribunal in Southwark, south London: “It [the cannabis use] would start early in the morning, before breakfast, and before he would leave and go to work.

“Sometimes, when he was arriving at home, it was there. I never saw him eat before going to work.”

The hearing was told that there were “hearsay” allegations that Bennett took magic mushrooms on holiday in France and LSD at a party, which Gomes was told by a housemate of hers and the officer’s.

The tribunal heard that, while staying with Bennett, Gomes sent a message to a friend in which she referred to the officer smoking cannabis at the flat and, on 7 December 2019, she used her phone to take photos of a bag of cannabis, cigarette paper, tobacco and lighters lying on a glass table in the living room.

The disciplinary panel was told that Gomes stayed at the flat from mid-October to just before Christmas 2019.

“I didn’t like it at all,” she said. “Why did I have to live in a place where it was just cannabis in the air? I was just trying to breathe oxygen.

“He [Bennett] was the one who was using the cannabis, I will say a few times during the day he would bring it in. If he would go to work, [he would do it] at least before going to work and arriving at home.”

She called the Met on 17 July 2020 to report that Bennett had been smoking cannabis before work, the panel heard. She said she never saw him in uniform and did not realise that he was a police officer until after she stopped living with him. Gomes described his behaviour as “erratic” and called him “controlling” – for continuously asking her about her work rota – and “very anxious”.

She said: “He is still denying something that I saw in front of me when I was living with him.”

Mark Ley-Morgan KC, representing the Met, said a drugs test was authorised on 20 July 2020. When Bennett was asked to provide a sample a day later, he refused and said he would resign.

after newsletter promotion

He told officers that he had been taking CBD (cannabidiol) to treat facial palsy and was worried the sample would come up positive for an innocent reason, the tribunal heard.

Ley-Morgan claimed that the explanation was “nonsensical” as it would have come up with a much lower reading than if it was being used recreationally.

Bennett, who joined the Met in 1976, wrote the force’s drugs strategy for 2017-21 as a commander for territorial policing. He presided over 74 police misconduct hearings – 69 as chair – between June 2010 and February 2012, which led to the dismissal of 56 officers, earning him the nickname “Sacker”.

He is accused of gross misconduct for using controlled drugs, refusing to provide a sample for a drugs test and lying about the reason for not providing a sample.

He denies the allegations and has been suspended on full pay since July 2021.

The tribunal is expected to last all week.

• Like 5

Tbf though he was in a situation where he had to write what they want to hear. We can all lie to cover our asses. Some people I tell the smell of weed gives me headache. It's always when they've retired they speek up about how stupid the laws are but they've nothing to lose then.

Edited by Frosty Nugz
  • Like 1

arresting kids with his drug and cannabis strategies while he smoked cannabis with impunity (he is the law) at home..what a guy/cunt!

bet he’s been on full pay on the road to court too!

• Like 6

I don't believe that the girlfriend didn't know he was a copper.

Surely she'd have seen him getting dressed, or do coppers get changed at work? 

I have heard before of angry exes getting people into trouble- Not good.

Laws are much less draconian than they were- The saddest case was a young father who had 1/4 of hash.

He was stopped on street , tried to swallow the evidence, but it was wrapped in clingfilm and he died - despite urgent first aid. {late 1980's?}

That case still upsets me.

• Like 2

Just now, Justanotherdude said:

:huh:

Bloody hell...what a doss. 
{Edit...the 'Commander'' suspended on full pay since 2021}

Edited by Oakapple
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Saddam said:

JAFO

I hope that means ~Jeerrrr... Arghhh... Fuck... Off!!!

I'm guessing the "senior Metropolitan police commander"'s only problem wasn't smoking cannabis. Call me cynical.

14 minutes ago, Lux_Interior said:

I'm guessing the "senior Metropolitan police commander"'s only problem wasn't smoking cannabis. Call me cynical.

Looking at his pic, he reminded me of that bloke who was caught recently with a young person under 18 ..Huw Edwards . Allegedly.

• Like 1

Just now, Oakapple said:

Looking at his pic, he reminded me of that bloke who was caught recently with a young person under 18 ..Huw Edwards . Allegedly.

I don't know Huw you mean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lux_Interior said:

Watch Blue Thunder so my joke can land. lol 

Just Another Fucking Officer. :

• Like 2

She just comes across as a vindictive cunt, she took photos of paraphernalia in December then waited until the following July to grass on him, so like I said; a vindictive cunt.

• Like 5