What is the average temperature when you guys germinate in the UK?

childofmelee

You guys germinate end of April, right? What is the day and night temperature when you guys germinate (assuming you germinate outdoors)?

i don't think anyone germinates outdoors in April in the UK, i don't even germinate any of my veg seeds outdoors in April except carrots and Parsnips

• Like 3

Most on here germinate indoors, bring on and then put out. 

Poss myself and Brock1 would be some of the few that germinate for the outdoor season.     Temps vary drastically.  

I normally kick off late Feb indoors then out into the greenhouse to harden mid / late March ... can still be snowing and hard frosts here.

I kick off early as i dont do indoors and want a 1st June flip in light dep to let me do long flower.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldFord said:

Most on here germinate indoors, bring on and then put out. 

Poss myself and Brock1 would be some of the few that germinate for the outdoor season.     Temps vary drastically.  

I normally kick off late Feb indoors then out into the greenhouse to harden mid / late March ... can still be snowing and hard frosts here.

I kick off early as i dont do indoors and want a 1st June flip in light dep to let me do long flower.  

That's a really early start.

I wonder how cold it can get at night before seedlings get stressed/stunted.  In one of my  new grow areas it can get down to 7°C night temperatures.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

That's a really early start.

I wonder how cold it can get at night before seedlings get stressed/stunted.  In one of my  new grow areas it can get down to 7°C night temperatures.

I have had seedling in the greenhouse on polystyrene blocks , hay medium and domes on in nights dipping down into the minus temps ,  not lost anything or had a stunted plant.

More likely luck !      Growing indoors would cease my issues but really dont want too as i love my outdoors lol   

Will be diff in the new place next year as want to breed and therefore need an indoor set up , but IS a means to an end not a grow.  

Although i have a secret yearning to try a single plant scrog  ... the legend thats @Notorious B.U.D  is to blame for that lol    

I hate him so much as hes drawing me to the dark side lollol     ps Ghetto Daugher will be out next year. 

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 1

I start my seeds early May at lat 50. Into a propagater , on a heat mat and under a small led for around 10 days , then off they go into the greenhouse...

• Like 2

C.O.M if you want to try and give them the best chance, make sure the medium is really airy and porous, so that there is less chance of suffocating water barriers drowning the seeds and young plants. The plants are growing so slowly and the water evaporates much less in the cold. Bigger air gaps can mitigate this issue. I've been growing my indoor plants at 12c earlier in the year with 50+% perlite mixed in. It is insulating as well. Working with plants in the cold is an ongoing side interest of mine.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Definitely would be hugely risky to germinate outdoors- We can get frosts as late as May, and also young delicate seedlings are like curry to a pisshead to snails , slugs and herbivores.

Germinate indoors, in a warm place {20 degs centigrade }bring on the baby indoors, and harden her off outdoors gradually. 

• Like 2

On the fruit and veg side, I always germinate in damp cotton wool and into a sealed sandwich bag. This then sits on a cloth in a heated propagator (cheap one from Wilko's). I start germinating veg seeds in Feb. I've geminated my first auto grow in exactly the same way and had 100% success. (I don't float seeds in water first unless seed dispersal in water is part of the plants natural process - tropical vines for example). 

Edited by disco survivor
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

I have had seedling in the greenhouse on polystyrene blocks , hay medium and domes on in nights dipping down into the minus temps ,  not lost anything or had a stunted plant.

More likely luck !      Growing indoors would cease my issues but really dont want too as i love my outdoors lol   

Will be diff in the new place next year as want to breed and therefore need an indoor set up , but IS a means to an end not a grow.  

Although i have a secret yearning to try a single plant scrog  ... the legend thats @Notorious B.U.D  is to blame for that lol    

I hate him so much as hes drawing me to the dark side lollol     ps Ghetto Daugher will be out next year. 

Yes, @Notorious B.U.D's results are completely mind-blowing. 

• Like 2

Just now, Oakapple said:

Yes, @Notorious B.U.D's results are completely mind-blowing. 

Im just not interested in indoor ,  i find my outdoor walks all over the indoor stuff in respect of colours / flavour / aroma /  effect ,  when compared side by side like for like !

Yes the indoor guys win on visual bag appeal , bud structure and appearance.

So im more than happy with my outdoor but the Scogs Notorious produces , the time and patience that must fo into them is crazy ,  yeah im not kidding myself the skill too !  

But you need to practice to devlop skills !    Its the only form of indoor growing that appeals to me and i mean really appeals.   

so im def down with having a go.   :yep:     no doubt mess things right up til i get my methods nailed.   I will get there lol    Still wont be an indoor convert though lol  lol 

• Like 4

@OldFord
I haven’t tried extreme main lining or defoliation-Ever- 

To my detriment 

I used to do a bit of topping and low stress training- under HPS til complacency made me lazy with checking for balls and herms taught me a painful lesson. 

I feel like a beginner all over again, the plant taught me to respect them always and never be complacent.

Outdoors is very natural- I can’t do that at present though.  

In a rural setting, it would be ideal.

No electric bills would be wonderful 

Last year probably saw some epic outdoor results with the insane heatwaves.

Im walking in drizzle now- with a coat!

A far cry from last summer!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldFord said:

Im just not interested in indoor ,  i find my outdoor walks all over the indoor stuff in respect of colours / flavour / aroma /  effect ,  when compared side by side like for like !

Yes the indoor guys win on visual bag appeal , bud structure and appearance.

So im more than happy with my outdoor but the Scogs Notorious produces , the time and patience that must fo into them is crazy ,  yeah im not kidding myself the skill too !  

But you need to practice to devlop skills !    Its the only form of indoor growing that appeals to me and i mean really appeals.   

so im def down with having a go.   :yep:     no doubt mess things right up til i get my methods nailed.   I will get there lol    Still wont be an indoor convert though lol  lol 

Might try building a hot bed in the greenhouse after this seasons plants have gone. Would be interesting to see if I can sustain a grow through the winter without having to buy paraffin for the greenhouse heater. I'll risk a couple of seed I think. Might need to build some bubblewrap double glazing panels as well. Stables not too far from me so I'll get some free manure next time I'm up that way.

• Like 2

Just now, disco survivor said:

Might try building a hot bed in the greenhouse after this seasons plants have gone. Would be interesting to see if I can sustain a grow through the winter without having to buy paraffin for the greenhouse heater. I'll risk a couple of seed I think. Might need to build some bubblewrap double glazing panels as well. Stables not too far from me so I'll get some free manure next time I'm up that way.

!2v batts & heat trace cable to suit , sand ,  fireboard  ,  put your soil on top ,  my plan for the new place :george:      

2 good PowerSafe batts and i will swap & charge as needed.           I set a friends tent up and its awesome,  NO heaters in an unheated roo in winter and LED's , worked very well :thumsup:

fireboard soaks the heat and the sand insulates it , keeps warm for agaes.     Pics of the heated sand bed a few pages back in my This Years Offerings diary.  

Pic of the Sag Cali Train Wreck & Panty Punch ,  my ex garden girls now in his tent.  

Good luck with it mate

• Like 2

8 hours ago, OldFord said:

Nights dipping into the minus temps and still no stunted plants, that's promising.  You sound like you put a lot of effort into your grows, germinating indoors really early, light dep for long flowering, etc