cuttings from mother flowering with 18 Hr light

I have a mother that is in veg cycle and whenever I try to take cuttings from her they want to flower . They are on 18 Hr light. I've even tried 24 hour but they always just start flowering. The mother is not an Auto strain. It's in veg and not showed any signs of flowering. I've never seen this happen before with a regular strain.Has anyone had a similar thing happen? It's a shame as the mother is a real keeper aswell. My temps are ambient 18 degrees so I've ruled out that. The only thing I can think of is that the mother was reveged and the stress has affected any cuttings I take.

Could there be some auto in it's lineage? I think a lot of the fast version of strains have some auto in. The one strain I grow does the same as you describe usually, turns out it had some auto somewhere down the line. 

What strain is it? 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, neothe1 said:

The only thing I can think of is that the mother was reveged and the stress has affected any cuttings I take.

I reckon this is the cause, just a case of keep on going and eventually it should settle down...:yep:

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, KC said:

Could there be some auto in it's lineage? I think a lot of the fast version of strains have some auto in. The one strain I grow does the same as you describe usually, turns out it had some auto somewhere down the line. 

What strain is it? 

-You could be right mate. I don't know the strain as it was from a bud I scored that had 1 seed in it. I grew it out and was very impressed with the yield  , flavor and uplifting happy head stone  . It's not often I keep seeds I find but this one was definitely special. I suspect it is a sat dom pheno type as it has a lemon/pineapple terpine profile with small thin leaf structure. I'm in New Zealand where seeds are still illegal so finding good genetics is a difficult task. I thought I got lucky with this seed as a lot of times in my experience the seeds have a high cbd and low thc profile  or are autos. They grow a lot of autos out here as most do outdoor grows. I've tried ordering from overseas a few times over the yrs but customs are very on to it with plant matter coming into the country. I took it for granted when I lived in the UK with the ease to obtain good genetics. Thanks for your imput

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I reckon this is the cause, just a case of keep on going and eventually it should settle down...:yep:

Yes hopefully you're right mate. shes been re vegged for a good 3 months tho. I waited until the strange leaf/growth structure you get when re vegging had grew out  before I took the cuttings. I'll give it another month or two then try again. If the same happens I'll just grow out the mother and have a last swan song with her. such a shame as she was beautiful.  Cheers .

• Like 1
2 hours ago, neothe1 said:

My temps are ambient 18 degrees so I've ruled out that. 

I'd recommend increasing this to above 20°C. 

What growing method are you using? 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Only time my mums started to flower on 18/6 is when I had them under 250w hps and bulb started flickering, seems thats enough. If just cuts are case it's gotta be to low source of light or to far from light?

I had cuts in cold environment ,they just won't root or root out slow,but they don't start to flower

Edited by Herbal Kint

I have Exo MOB Spurt II plants grown from regular seeds (fem/male) the females flower quite happily outside (Lat 52). I haven't tried taking cuts yet but I have a feeling it may be problematic.

Sometimes it be like that. At the end of the day, most of us are just guessing and applying past observations to what we’re doing.

ive had plants initiate flower under veg light before. It’s more males than females, in my experience. Could be that the mother wasn’t actually fully revegged when cuts were taken?  Was the mother still growing odd leaves etc? 

Theoretically, the cuts should behave exactly like the mother assuming all environmental stressors are the same for both plants. 

If you really like the plant that much, let the mother hang out for another couple months, and it should be fully back into veg, if it isn’t already. Then try some cuttings again and see how they act.  

e2a: if you really like the plant, you could always take large cuttings, root them and then immediately put them under flower light. It’s a workaround, kinda, not really, but sort of...

Edited by Cajafiesta
On 24/07/2023 at 10:34 AM, neothe1 said:

-You could be right mate. I don't know the strain as it was from a bud I scored that had 1 seed in it. I grew it out and was very impressed with the yield  , flavor and uplifting happy head stone  . It's not often I keep seeds I find but this one was definitely special. I suspect it is a sat dom pheno type as it has a lemon/pineapple terpine profile with small thin leaf structure. I'm in New Zealand where seeds are still illegal so finding good genetics is a difficult task. I thought I got lucky with this seed as a lot of times in my experience the seeds have a high cbd and low thc profile  or are autos. They grow a lot of autos out here as most do outdoor grows. I've tried ordering from overseas a few times over the yrs but customs are very on to it with plant matter coming into the country. I took it for granted when I lived in the UK with the ease to obtain good genetics. Thanks for your imput

What country were you ordering your seeds from?

On 23/07/2023 at 10:27 PM, neothe1 said:

I have a mother that is in veg cycle and whenever I try to take cuttings from her they want to flower

Some plants male and female will start to flower if the get root bound, if you take cuts and put them in a larger pot early on it can stop the onset of flowering, you may have to keep taking cuts and bringing them on rather than keeping a long term mum if that makes sense.:yep:

• Like 4

I'd up the hours of light to 20 or more too. I have kept a cut from a cut ,from several outdoor strains. If they go too far you can't revegetate them. Some that are standard photoperiod's, I've just kept ticking over on a windowsill at winter, the light in the room might help but they'd need re-vegging. 

If I were you I would probably ask someone overseas to drop a dozen loose seed into a kilo bag of whole coffee beans, but very sneakily, with little and even no intrusion is possible. You could fish out the tiny beans from the coffee beans. 

On 7/24/2023 at 0:24 PM, Shumroom said:

I'd recommend increasing this to above 20°C. 

What growing method are you using? 

Atb 

:yinyang:

I'm using organic soil under 200 w LED mate . I'll try and up the temp a little also. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dr feelgood said:

Some plants male and female will start to flower if the get root bound, if you take cuts and put them in a larger pot early on it can stop the onset of flowering, you may have to keep taking cuts and bringing them on rather than keeping a long term mum if that makes sense.:yep:

Yes I've had the very same issues in the past when trying to keep a long term mum. I had an orig cut from 2004  of  C-99 that kept getting root bound as I had her for around  5-6 yrs .I used to rip off half the rootball then replant in fresh soil which worked well for me. Unfortunately I had to let her go in the end when I moved out to New Zealand.

5 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

I'd up the hours of light to 20 or more too. I have kept a cut from a cut ,from several outdoor strains. If they go too far you can't revegetate them. Some that are standard photoperiod's, I've just kept ticking over on a windowsill at winter, the light in the room might help but they'd need re-vegging. 

If I were you I would probably ask someone overseas to drop a dozen loose seed into a kilo bag of whole coffee beans, but very sneakily, with little and even no intrusion is possible. You could fish out the tiny beans from the coffee beans. 

That's a great Idea mate. I'll have you check what the customs laws are with regards bringing coffee beans into the country.

i suspect they wont  allow them into New Zealand tho . They are very strict out here when it comes to bringing in any plant matter at all, in-case  I introduce a plant pathogen that plays havoc with the NZ plant ecosystems. I'd say they have some of the most stringent import laws in the world out here.  Appreciate your input mate.

• Like 1