Trimming fan leaves after branches have been removed from the plants

childofmelee

I know a lot of people prefer trimming fan leaves while the branches are still attached to the plant but I was wanting to cut all the branches off, bag it all up, and trim the fan leaves when I get home before putting em all through the trim machine.

What is the disadvantages of cutting the branches off and trimming the fan leaves when I get home as opposed to trimming the fan leaves out in the bush while the branches are still attached to the plant?

• Like 1

I strictly chop the plant down  and as intact as poss on site /  bag and bring home  :yep:       

Branches & bud heads with fans still on  offers more abarasion resistence as your filling holdalls / bags .. whatever and walking ,  causing rub up !!!   

Rub up with bud on bud will be more abrasive than bud on leaf ,   leaf material offers protection !       extra leaf material will slow the drying process and make for better slow drying nuggets.

Not preaching gospel ,  my own preference and method ,  many ways to do it,  suit yourself and chop away :george:

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 4

Disadvantages of cutting fan leaves off at home instead of plot is you have to find somewhere to bin them I spose 

I keep leaves on usually if the drying area is good,seems to keep the smell locked in more for me personally..but keeping leaves on and drying area isn't too good you run the risk of mould 

• Like 3

I try and chop everything off I don’t want on site 

all fan leafs and excessive lengths of branch’s  thrown in the bushes (as well as any rot). Buds cut to lengths of stalks (approx 5inch to 10inch lengths max) leaving ‘hook nodes’ for hanging straight on lines when home 

usually I sit and trim off most of the silver leaf with a bin bag under to keep it for dry sifting later, it gets decanted into paper bags when home and stuck near dehumidifier 

for me as well as trying to reduce the bulk/ size of what I’m carrying when I appear out in public again…and as well as the hassle of bringing extra waste stalks and leaf home which will require more effort to go out again and discarded later on … it’s the extra stink that bringing excessive waste materials home contribute to generate, which I don’t want 

For smaller amounts I’d say Old Ford’s method is the connoisseur approach  

when I get home I usually just want to hang things up and run a bath with not too much extra flaffing … I’m usually shagged by that point 

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, stayup4ever said:

Disadvantages of cutting fan leaves off at home instead of plot is you have to find somewhere to bin them I spose 

I keep leaves on usually if the drying area is good,seems to keep the smell locked in more for me personally..but keeping leaves on and drying area isn't too good you run the risk of mould 

Bring the lot home,  i have one of the fellow Old gits that brews a tea from the fan leaves ... believe it or not even though its in water it most certainly packs a wonderful effect !! 

Any remaining leaves get butter treatment and again im yet to be diassapointed :yep:     Very little than cant be utilised in providing some form of meds.   

I get its not for everyone, but waste not want not here sir :thumsup:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Erbman T said:

I try and chop everything off I don’t want on site 

all fan leafs and excessive lengths of branch’s  thrown in the bushes (as well as any rot). Buds cut to lengths of stalks (approx 5inch to 10inch lengths max) leaving ‘hook nodes’ for hanging straight on lines when home 

usually I sit and trim off most of the silver leaf with a bin bag under to keep it for dry sifting later, it gets decanted into paper bags when home and stuck near dehumidifier 

for me as well as trying to reduce the bulk/ size of what I’m carrying when I appear out in public again…and as well as the hassle of bringing extra waste stalks and leaf home which will require more effort to go out again and discarded later on … it’s the extra stink that bringing excessive waste materials home contribute to generate, which I don’t want 

For smaller amounts I’d say Old Ford’s method is the connoisseur approach  

when I get home I usually just want to hang things up and run a bath with not too much extra flaffing … I’m usually shagged by that point 

Surtely lots of freshly chopped with lots of cut fresh edges emits more odour than something intact ?   Not challening just curious :yep:

That ... so called waste has lots of potential to be utilised and converted  ,  well in my case anyway ,  teas / butters all pretty decent form what one wishes to discard  , although you doo seem to be on the larger scale than i sir  ,  def waste not want not in my case :yep:

• Like 4

I prefer to trim on site. I find it much easier to trim wet bud than dry bud.

Worse buds I’ve trimmed is when I had to take all the plants home after ripping them out the ground, bagging them and running like Mr Bolt all the way home after id already been there earlier and been chased off the plot. (Farmer didn’t destroy or call the police)

The plants fresh and wet have the buds go all floppy making it harder to trim. 

I take click seal tubs to put the freshly trimmed buds in at the plot, such as cleaned out paint tubs, ice cream tubs, sweet tubs and then I bag them with plastic bin bag and then they go in my sack.

I then spray the sack and myself with deodorant or perfume so I smell like a clean fresh lad

Never had any problem with the above

• Like 8

I trim it all on site.

Cut branches off, trim the big leaves off, cut off the buds and whack em in the spin pro.

I find it a nightmare doing it when I get back. The leaves go all weird and it's so much harder to trim them properly in my opinion.

Plus its less to transport.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

Surtely lots of freshly chopped with lots of cut fresh edges emits more odour than something intact ?   Not challening just curious :yep:

That ... so called waste has lots of potential to be utilised and converted  ,  well in my case anyway ,  teas / butters all pretty decent form what one wishes to discard  , although you doo seem to be on the larger scale than i sir  ,  def waste not want not in my case :yep:

Absolutely dude couldn’t agree with you more 

As far as I use to make Ganja truffles and butters and other things out of fan leaf .. still gets you unbelievable wrecked in larger doses or a mellow Irie in smaller doses when consumed as edibles … so if you just got a few plants why not use every bit .. total agreement on that … I even use to keep really thick stems as trophies or make pipes out of them 

the smell thing .. erm .. I am leaving a bit more silver leaf on to be fair now as does help keep more of the Terps and aroma in etc on the dry … 

Ive defo developed a more industrious type attitude towards it since cropping more bigger crops  … I’m certainly not saying my way is the best 

Erm I find on the whole when I wrap it all in a bin bag and some other bags then in one of those big fabric reusable shopping bags then march out of there generally it don’t stink too bad fresh.. I was using those big Mylar bags to stuff the bin bags inside of a bit last year … depends how likely it is I will be in close proximity to folks on the march to the blat mobile .. for me I find the stench starts when I open all the bags up when home. But I keep the room sealed with towels under both sides of the room door  plus carbon filter and dehumidifier in that room so mostly contained … indeed a full less cut plant prob would make less stench at least whilst drying potentially 

My sites are super energy zapping to get in and out of and also narrow gaps to squeeze and drag through … so less bulk helps 

Jus how I do it… if anything inspires to be helpful then assimilate if not ‘every man do his ting little way different’ 

xx

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, crazy-sheep said:

The plants fresh and wet have the buds go all floppy making it harder to trim. 

Indeed I hate that

trim hell if a bigger crop 

oh and I take deodorant too sometimes … 

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, OldFord said:

I strictly chop the plant down  and as intact as poss on site /  bag and bring home  :yep:       

Branches & bud heads with fans still on  offers more abarasion resistence as your filling holdalls / bags .. whatever and walking ,  causing rub up !!!   

Rub up with bud on bud will be more abrasive than bud on leaf ,   leaf material offers protection !       extra leaf material will slow the drying process and make for better slow drying nuggets.

Not preaching gospel ,  my own preference and method ,  many ways to do it,  suit yourself and chop away :george:

Good point about abrasion and the leaf material offering protection.

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stayup4ever said:

I was thinking of running dehumidifiers to keep the humidity low enough so mold doesn't have a chance to grow. 

4 hours ago, OldFord said:

That is a good point, cutting the fan leaves off does emit a lot more odour because of touching/bursting the trichs.  It really does stink up the place.  Now you got me worried about rippers if I trim in the bush.

• Like 1

As I make edibles and alcohol based extracts / infused drinks I try to keep everything I can from the plants. I do remove bigger fan leaves before drying, but I collect the healthy ones and dry them separately for edibles and/or alcohol treatment. Yellow, badly damaged or dying leaves are discarded on site. Stems also added to the processing pile after drying - at which point I remove buds from branches. When I was only growing indoors I even used to wash and dry the roots: ground up they can be used as a dry poultice for bruises or abrasions on the skin, or you can make a topical skin cream with them. I don't bother gathering roots from outdoor plants though... :)  As for the buds, I keep sugar leaves on them even after drying. I vape rather than smoke and sugar leaves work just fine in a vape. Oh yeah, the AVB goes into edibles and alcohol infusions too. :yep: It's such a wonderful medicinal herb I can't stand the thought of wastage!

• Like 4

large.8AB8E391-D78C-4793-932C-AB3CD195B4DD.jpeg

oh yea then made RSO with the leaf after the dry sift .. 

Made around 2 Oz 

don’t know if can be assed this year tho as it’s a lot of work.. 

• Like 2