Very, very vegged.

screrg

Hi all,

I've been on the sesh a little too long and neglected my role as plant guardian a touch. I'm on the wagon now and have resumed my responsible role as overseer. :)

Wanted to flip 2 or 3 weeks ago but have had to change grooms so been a bit of a hastle.

large.20230719_210927.jpg

They're about 15-18" above the net and this is day one of the flip. I'm going to put a second net in for when they put weight on and hoping they don't stretch too much. They're something like 90% indica so shouldn't be too bad hopefully but it'll be tight with height. What would ppl suggest if they start going berserk? Supercrop or turn the lights down?

It's a very full canopy so I'd prefer to leave the lights as high as possible to penetrate as far as they can down. I've given them bloom food from day 1 and usually give them 2 weeks of veg before the bloom. Is the reason ppl give 2 weeks of veg to encourage the strech?

Any help appreciated. (I will shift those wires too :) )

• Like 2

I'd be in there with the cutters and defoliating big time, there's going to near no light penetrative below the net, one way you could open things is do schwazzing on day 1 of flower. It can be fairly brutal but if you've got good roots and your plant is healthy she should withstand the haircut.

It look like a par275+ you have 

Edited by Darknight420710

I reckon  carefully whipping the net out and reinstalling it is probably yer best bet given yer only at day 1.

You can always prune off any excess afterwards

:yinyang:

If it's only day 1. Get a couple of the wire mesh (50mm) panels, overlap a few squares then flatten them from above trying to splay them in different directions along it, @Notorious B.U.D has a thread showing you step by step on how to make a monster. Yours look perfect candidates :yep: you better be quick tho :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, screrg said:

Any help appreciated. (

if you wanted to reduce the size of them, you could do what ive just done with mine (similar - I have had to slow them down in veg while waiting to get into flower tent)

thanks to a method suggested by @BilgePump

basically you can 'top' each branch & cut it right down, to whatever length you want - just cut it down to whatever lower node you want, n let that lower node take over. its hard to see yours, but there should be a shorter lower node you can cut down to

explained with pics in this thread index.php

edit- ^^ or scrog it with a heavy metal mesh, suggested above

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

A third option is to take the the net off and shake them in a good swaying motion everyday for the stretch period. I have Malawi and Amnesia, just done two weeks 12/12 and only one that  is over a metre. They were double topped. The shaking fractures and toughens up the structural cells, killing the stretch. They were over three months old. This has been standard practice for me for a good while now. Reduces the need for supporting heavy buds as well.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 4

I think there can be some benefit to leaving stuff under the net to reduce stretch as the plant will put some energy in the lower parts but once stretch is over ie after few weeks of 12/12 then strip it all off.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, screrg said:

They're about 15-18" above the net and this is day one of the flip

lol

That now serves only as a giant plant support

What Fatboy said basically. Dunno how much environmental control you have, but look into negative temperature differentials. Basically you keep the lights off temp higher than lights on (no easy task I know) and below 27/26 °C. It keeps internodal spacing tighter and reduces overall stretch. It's a well established technique used in commercial horticulture and it's backed up by real science i.e. peer reviewed studies. 

Also leave any defoliation to the last minute (week 3) anything you strip off the lowers during stretch will encourage more upward growth. If you have a few branches straggling behind you can strip the lowers off them to help them catch up. If anything starts to shoot up above  the canopy then like you say, give it a super crop to stop it becoming dominant. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

A third option is to take the the net off and shake them in a good swaying motion everyday for the stretch period

Think you might have mentioned this before, sounds like a really good tip, might give it to on my next run, controlling stretch is an absolute must with a tent like mine. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darknight420710 said:

I'd be in there with the cutters and defoliating big time, there's going to near no light penetrative below the net, one way you could open things is do schwazzing on day 1 of flower. It can be fairly brutal but if you've got good roots and your plant is healthy she should withstand the haircut.

It look like a par275+ you have 

I don't mean to be rude, but that's probably the worst advice you could give to someone trying to reduce stretch. 

• Like 3

Just now, MindSoup said:

Think you might have mentioned this before, sounds like a really good tip, might give it to on my next run, controlling stretch is an absolute must with a tent like mine. 

it works. I was inspired by the wind and how it toughens up plants outside. Not knowing this is probably why a lot of people use supports.. I see no strings hanging from the sky! My dope is not that good. lol This a pic of an Amnesia of mine on this site. Can't get it to show the usual way atm.

https://www.uk420.com/boards/uploads/monthly_2023_07/medium.64b3019ab292c_Amnesia10days1212.jpg.aa3d1a5bd077ee03c923a306821d3ddc.jpg

She looks good from where I'm standing dude. 

Yeah like you say it just makes sense, if they're getting a pushed around a bit they'll naturally want to stay stocky and focus on building they're strength rather than reaching upwards. 

• Like 1

Just before or on 12/12 is enough. If you do it too early and too much, the plant will slow down, focussing on repairing the stress rather than growing. You get a feel for it like most things. It makes best sense, to me, to do it at 12/12 to mitigate stretch and handle the budload better thereafter. If a plant or seedling is a bit spindly and weak, judicious application of rythmic bending will help.

Edited by catweazle1