Fridging Rooted Cuts

MindSoup

Look at me, 2 threads in one day:realcool:.

I'm off on holiday next week for 10 days. I've got a mate coming to chuck some water about but I'll have some cuts that may still be part way through hardening off and may need potting up, feel like that's a bit much to ask especially as he only has a couple of grows under his belt. 

So I was thinking instead I could just chuck them in the fridge and worry about them when I get back? I know it's a thing people do, but I'm not sure about the ins and outs of the process. Anyone got any tips or links to good guides on the method? Is it just the same idea as non rooted cuts from the thread linked below?  

The container I use as a prop is pretty much air tight, so was thinking I could just seal it up and whack it in the fridge the day I leave? 

Probably worth mentioning one of them will be a reveg clone as well...

TIA

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I keep plenty of unrooted cuttings in the fridge for a couple months at a time but never tried with rooted cuttings......

I would think once a plant is rooted it needs light and warmth?

I have had a clone in a 1 inch peatmoss cube survive 2 weeks in the corner of a room that had like 90% humidity....

Purposely stopped watering to see if they would survive, and they did.

Doesnt help exactly but thought i would share anyway. lol

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys, I also share your concerns, but... 

I've got a pretty vague memory, but I'm sure at the nursery nice once worked at we used to put plants in a big cold store on the run up to the Chelsea flower show. I think the idea was to keep them in statis so they where in full bloom at the perfect time, like I say though it's a vague memory from a long time ago. 

On top of that, a certain someone sent me some clones a while back and they mentioned putting them in a fridge for a bit before the put them in the post, it was a passing comment and I didn't ask for any further details, but it's niggling at me. So in me head I feel like it's a thing that peo do/have done, it's just a case of understanding how to go about it and how long it can be done for. 

• Like 1

Ahaa that must have been what they where referring to then. That could also have been what we where doing at the nursery, maybe just putting them in there for a bit before loading them up for the trip. Iguess I'll just have to hope they root nice and quick so I won't have to worry.

I can't really remember, but I think I took 2 of the Oldman's Haze and I only need one for a new mum, so providing they both root well I'll leave one in the fridge as an experiment, never know until you try I guess. 

• Like 2

A mate of mine used to put plants in the fridge for a while when the mites got too much. The plants go into stasis and the mites die.

• Like 3

a friend of me had a semi-photo mother.

he kept them rooted clones in a shed under 24/7 t-neon light at 10 degrees for about 5 weeks..in march -april.....they didnot grow much....but did not flouwer or die....

• Like 2

If it was me I'd pot them up just before you go, give them a good watering then just leave them in a cool(ish) room with the ceiling light on. In low light they shouldn't drink much so with a say a 1L pot you might be okay. 10 days is quite a long time though!

Nothing quite like the worry of how your plants are getting on when you're trying to enjoy your holiday lol

Yeah that's what I'm hoping to be able to do, maybe leave them in the bathroom on the north side of the house, at least that way my helper won't have to faf around with them too much.  

Like you say it's always a bit of a worry, but I'm used to it now, I go away quite regularly, although not usually for 10 whole days.