Sticky hands?

iShouldCoCo

Hey, I was cropping the other night and didn't have any gloves so ended up barehanded and covered in the sticky stuff. I usually use 99% isopropyl which is effective if you rinse it off before it evaporates... however, it's really not kind to skin AT ALL.

This time I paused and tried something different... I poured a bit of olive oil on my hands (a teaspoon or so) and rubbed it in, then I added a squirt of liquid Castile soap (but I imagine any soap will do it?), rubbed that in and foamed up under the tap and rinsed.The result as clean, non-sticky, non-smelly hands and moisturised too! Had to share because I'd not heard of it and maybe it's not common knowledge. Kind of obvious really though, the good stuff being soluble in oil as well as solvents.

If you try it, let me know how you get on!

Edited by iShouldCoCo
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, iShouldCoCo said:

Hey, I was cropping the other night and didn't have any gloves so ended up barehanded and covered in the sticky stuff. I usually use 99% isopropyl which is effective if you rinse it off before it evaporates... however, it's really not kind to skin AT ALL.

This time I paused and tried something different... I poured a bit of olive oil on my hands (a teaspoon or so) and rubbed it in, then I added a squirt of liquid Castile soap (but I imagine any soap will do it?), rubbed that in and foamed up under the tap and rinsed.The result as clean, non-sticky, non-smelly hands and moisturised too! Had to share because I'd not heard of it and maybe it's not common knowledge. Kind of obvious really though, the good stuff being soluble in oil as well as solvents.

If you try it, let me know how you get on!

MAKE SQUIDGEY!!!!!

• Like 1

olive oil ,:george:works well getting silicon sealer of yer mitts too .

Edited by Doby Mick
  • Like 3

Olive oil, sugar and fairy :yep:

Start of with oil and sugar, work that in for a minute and then rinse with warm/hot water and dish soap ... If that doesn't shift I'd be very surprised.

:yinyang:

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Doby Mick said:

olive oil ,:george:works well getting silicon sealer of yer mitts too .

Baby wipes are the daddy if it’s still wet !

I won’t use the stuff with out wipes.

Edited by LA LUNA
  • Like 1

I stuck my hands through a gap the fence and got the neighbour's dog to lick them clean. Didn't do too bad a job either.

• Like 5

Just now, Clubs said:

I stuck my hands through a gap the fence and got the neighbour's dog to lick them clean. Didn't do too bad a job either.

sure your talking about your hands? lol

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

I didn't really expect to lol on this thread but there you go! lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sweettooth said:

I didn't realise the neighbours dog was called Squidgey :mellow:

• Like 1

There was a thread on this last week I think, a few people mentioned the olive oil trick.

I just use swarfega myself, seems to do the job very well and although a tub isn't cheap it lasts me ages. 

No way would I wash my hands in iso. If I get a bit on my hands when I'm cleaning the vapes it stings enough never mind covering my hands and rubbing it in :ouch:

• Like 3

We used to have swarfega (oldskool green, none of this fancy orange jollop) when I started on the bins 20 odd years ago, not sure if they've changed it but it used to be pretty aggressive if you used it regularly, gave people a rash like contact dermatitis.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

I use the green one, it's smooth though, not with all the bits in like it used to be years ago. I only use it every week or 2 nowadays and I don't get as mucky now I got the trim bag. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iShouldCoCo said:

If you try it,

yes bro im interested - I asked about this myself a few days ago

gonna try olive oil so glad you confirm it

mystic

• Like 1

'kin ell, mention of swarfega takes me back to my childhood and my old man messing around in the garage, didn't know they still made it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KC said:

There was a thread on this last week I think, a few people mentioned the olive oil trick.

I just use swarfega myself, seems to do the job very well and although a tub isn't cheap it lasts me ages. 

No way would I wash my hands in iso. If I get a bit on my hands when I'm cleaning the vapes it stings enough never mind covering my hands and rubbing it in :ouch:

Oh yeah! I missed that one. WIth hindsight I should have used the site search for 'olive oil' first!

• Like 2