How come?

MoT

You stroke it faster!...NO NO NO, THIS IS A FAMILY SHOW, GET OUT!

But in all seriousness i was just sitting here perusing my thoughts, And as always a forwarning of a possibly idiot question that i may answer myself.... Why doesn't moonlight throw off photoperiod plants, when even the slightest glimmer of light during the flowering phase indoors can completely ruin a crop? I mean especially a full moon can be incredibly bright, so is it down to the colour spectrum of the reflection and plants are just used to ignoring it so to speak, is it that even with a full moon, the intensity is still not enough to have a negative affect, is it sorme sort of sorrcery? ;)

I've not really seen anything explaiinng this anywhere, not even sure if i've seen or heard the question asked.

Go on, tell me i'm dumb.... :Dlol

Edited by MoT
missed a letter
  • Like 2

I've often wondered this (same with streetlights). Part of me (probably the daft part - which, to be brutally honest is most of me lol ) kinda thinks that maybe the effect of light leaks is overstated in the cannabis world or summat :unsure:

• Like 6

because it's too faint, i grow plants under street lights, and it has no effect (my greenhouse is directly under a street light), i also use a tent with a fucked zip with zero issues

my first grow was in a cupboard with a loose fitting door, i had parties all the time back then and lights on all hours and had no effect whatsoever. i personally think people can get too hung up on light leaks when genetics is usually the culprit.

Edited by ratdog
sp
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

This dude explains it :D 

That was incredibly interesting.... but you know, what every time i ask a question, you do what my teachers did at school..... they don't outright call me an idiot for asking a question, but basically tell me i had already figured out the answer for myself, so why are you asking this question?....

HAHA, I'm not knocking you at all for it though....maybe i should just appreciate my ability to learn and understand :/ ,  I don't trust myself and need confirmation of things a lot..... Thanks @Shumroom lol

Edited by MoT
1975 the question was resolved.... *sigh*
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ratdog said:

because it's too faint, i grow plants under street lights, and it has no effect (my greenhouse is directly under a street light), i also use a tent with a fucked zip with zero issues

my first grow was in a cupboard with a loose fitting door, i had parties all the time back then and lights on all hours and had no effect whatsoever. i personally think people can get too hung up on light leaks when genetics is usually the culprit.

Thanks for the reply, as @Boojum said, it seems that, while the plant is sensitive to light....pretty much natural adaption to being a living organism on this planet means that to a certain extent, naturally occuring factors...are, amazingly enough, countered for by the very organisms that thrive on this planet and the sway in environment that comes with it.... "sigh"

Edited by MoT
misspelling again
  • Like 1

Just now, MoT said:

are, amazingly enough, countered for

the moon was there before life got started, so plants never had to overcome those issues, they evolved alongside it

• Like 3

Just now, ratdog said:

the moon was there before life got started, so plants never had to overcome those issues, they evolved alongside it

Indeed, although variations in the planet would necessitatate, evolutionary change... i do seem to keep asking obvious shit as per my responses :(

I guess i'll just like this statement , and carry on as i am, and apologise before hand :)

"The man who asks a stupid question is a fool for a minute The man who does not ask a stupid question is a fool for life"

...and continue to be irritating at times :D

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MoT said:

"The man who asks a stupid question is a fool for a minute The man who does not ask a stupid question is a fool for life"

...and continue to be irritating at times :D

...and ignorance of aspects of a subject doesn't make one a fool ....or irritating either...:yep:

• Like 5

I'd definitely not consider you a fool for this question, I've learned and forgot the reasons why several times lol

• Like 6

I think the biggest threat to plants regarding light pollution is us. A good mate is a commercial tomato/ cucumber grower with a fair sized operation. They have automated black out blinds inside their greenhouses. They mimic where possible the natural environment of a given species of plant, including the light cycle. Having spoken at length to him about the possibility of me setting up an indoor grow area, he thinks it's madness regarding some of the practices employed by cannabis growers and especially those "experts" with a large social media following. For example:
Stressing about the slightest pin prick of light pollution in a grow tent but then subjecting strains of photoperiod (namely Afghan/ Northern Kush strains) to 18 hour or even 20 hour of full spectrum light cycles when the maximum daylight light these strains experience in their natural habitat is 13 hrs 40 mins at summer solstice and 10 hrs 30 mins at winter solstice. Even strains developed for the California climate only ever get a maximum of approx 15 hrs of daylight at summer solstice and 9 hrs 30 mins at winter solstice. 

If I do set up an indoor grow area, I'll definitely be following a more natural light cycle for the particular strain I'm growing. Will be really interesting to see the results. 

Edited by disco survivor
  • Like 2

I had a nightmare with lighting & night time !in our last place !  

Pulled my hair out for a few seasons until we worked out it was Mrs OF had placed some little decorative solar led's too close to my girls and this in turn caused some strange budding & growth traits.  

Once i removed the suspect little lights everything settled lol      Only took 2 seasons to figure out lol       

Crazy that the street lighting , the garden security lights , the patio mood lighting never influenced a thing yet these tiny little leds messed things up !     i even swapped genetics as thought it was that and had the same issues.   Go figure lol  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MoT said:

i do seem to keep asking obvious shit as per my responses :(

not obvious mate, i wouldn't have known this 15 years ago before i had space to grow all sorts of stuff outdoors, under the moon and a bloody bright led street lamp lol

• Like 3

5 hours ago, disco survivor said:

I think the biggest threat to plants regarding light pollution is us. A good mate is a commercial tomato/ cucumber grower with a fair sized operation. They have automated black out blinds inside their greenhouses. They mimic where possible the natural environment of a given species of plant, including the light cycle. Having spoken at length to him about the possibility of me setting up an indoor grow area, he thinks it's madness regarding some of the practices employed by cannabis growers and especially those "experts" with a large social media following. For example:
Stressing about the slightest pin prick of light pollution in a grow tent but then subjecting strains of photoperiod (namely Afghan/ Northern Kush strains) to 18 hour or even 20 hour of full spectrum light cycles when the maximum daylight light these strains experience in their natural habitat is 13 hrs 40 mins at summer solstice and 10 hrs 30 mins at winter solstice. Even strains developed for the California climate only ever get a maximum of approx 15 hrs of daylight at summer solstice and 9 hrs 30 mins at winter solstice. 

If I do set up an indoor grow area, I'll definitely be following a more natural light cycle for the particular strain I'm growing. Will be really interesting to see the results. 

That shall be interesting, and what your friend says makes sense from a genetic perspective, i suppose "optimal" conditions really would be strain specific, rather than a one size fits all approach.....hmmm

• Like 1