Replacing carbon in a filter?

snotbottom

Anything is poss if ur willing to make the effort, replacing carbon seems a lot of work to do ....(drill out rivets, clean out, re-rivet) so I say yes you can do it but no point really since they're cheap enough and last a while ...:yep:

There's a thread or 2 kicking around about refilling CFs if you have a look/search. They're so cheap now it's hardly worth the effort money wise, still more ecologically sound though. 

• Like 1

you need to compact it right - ive heard some use a washing machine on spin cycle, as a makeshift vibration plate/table

mystic

its a gigantic, messy,  ballache. with variable results from- yes it works fine , to, no it stinks as bad as the old one.....

i wouldnt bother

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Apologies for necroposting--

Back when carbon filters were gouging expensive for a can made of metal screen some end pieces a ring of fiber wool and some nylon straps, I'd buy loose carbon grains from a grow shop and change the contents in my bathroom cos it's indeed quite messy. The can was deliberately put together with like self-tapping screws that'd come off and on again rather easily (with an electric screwdriver mind, no way could I have done with hand tools) so it was just a matter of tipping the old stuff into a bin bag and putting new stuff in.

But you'd have to be careful to pour a bit in, shake it around to settle it down so it gets properly compact, then pour some more in. At the end you'd need a change of clothes and a shower and a nose colonic and the bathroom could use one too. Otherwise it'd not filter as well as the dirty but well-packed filter you had before :scared:

Now that filter cans are disposable and consistent, bless them, the grow shops don't stock carbon anymore. So that's that.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 11:04 AM, mysticriver said:

you need to compact it right - ive heard some use a washing machine on spin cycle, as a makeshift vibration plate/table

mystic

You just need to put a drill into hammer mode and place a board on top. I've got all the gear to be able to do it but like folks have said, they're cheap to get not anyway, I've been using one of the cheap Fox ones off the river site for nearly a year now & it's still going strong.

• Like 1