First time with a mum, help please

You can be quite severe when pruning a mother plant. It depends when you next require cuttings. I keep mine in 1litre pots it helps stop them becoming Trifids. I tried to bonsai mine but they keep growing. These were trimmed when I potted up my main grow four weeks ago. Here they are in a 2ft square small tent under a 125W CFL looking like a disused allotment

large.20230711_231002.jpg

• Like 2

@Lux_Interior disused allotment lollol I think that's what I need to aim for; every time I do something to make them look a little healthier, they shoot up a foot 

@BilgePump @mysticriver I don't really know what my future plans are regarding how many cuttings I might need. I just need to keep them alive at this point, I think. I trimmed down to number 5, so we'll see what happens next.

Thanks for the input, folks :) 

• Like 4

id have also gone to number 5.

keeping mums is a bit of a pain , unless you are growing out lots of plants (ahem).

unless its totally dynamite, i wouldnt botjher to be honest.

i have kept them in the past under 18 watts of cfl, and they take a while to grow, but still get too big to be honest if youre not taking cuts every 6-8 weeks

• Like 3
5 hours ago, badbillybob said:

id have also gone to number 5.

keeping mums is a bit of a pain , unless you are growing out lots of plants (ahem).

unless its totally dynamite, i wouldnt botjher to be honest.

i have kept them in the past under 18 watts of cfl, and they take a while to grow, but still get too big to be honest if youre not taking cuts every 6-8 weeks

^^This. 

Nursery, yes. Bonsai cabinet, no. (unless you're rich, into mass production or like to be a plant slave every day)

I kept bonsai mums non stop for years when leccy was 1/4 the current price, but it was for keeping genetics going, not for mass production. A fun hobby if you can afford it, loads to learn and you can't neglect them like a green Tamagotchi but currently too costly for many of us as a viable option. Homemade seeds and SCROG' flowering the best 1 for me. 

It's a tyranny keeping these things alive 24/7. You can have some automation but it's still a fulltime job.. :ouch: 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, badbillybob said:

Yeah! I understand, but, there are other reasons for keeping mothers. I pass cuts to local growers I trust. So genetics carry on. It's not quite chucking seeds out a car window. But...

• Like 2

@Gaijin If you are worried about a Mums health then do the obvious and take cuts / just pot up one of your clones of her in fresh soil and pretend the abuse never happened! It might be a no-no to some (clones of a mum) but its better than losing a mum plant. I didn't "backup" my DiscoBiscuit and lost her when the whole tent died off, harsh lesson learned.

• Like 2

I'll end up re-cloning mine every time I take cuts, as with 3 on rotation its every 6 months, by that time there getting root bound, constantly under a high-PAR enviro with the vegging plants

large.IMG_1266.jpeg

I reckon they could be even smaller than above. trained 'em yesterday to give a better shape for growing cuts

mystic

• Like 3

@mysticriver @DeltaMelter I've already taken cuts from these mums, which reminds me, it's two weeks today since I took those. I'd better go take a look and see if we have roots :D 

I like the idea of training them from the start to be a better shape for producing cuttings :yep: 

Looks like I have roots :D On the Blue Chapo cuttings at least. I can't tell if the Cheese Pie's have rooted. They were at day 50-odd of 12/12 when I took them. I'll pot those up after breakfast :D Hopefully all 4 

Edited by Gaijin
  • Like 2