Excuse my language, BUT oh FUCKING HELL NO MOTHERFUCKERS (may cause distress if you are a lunatic or buddhist)

MoT

Heard a weird crumbling rumbling in the attic, and thought it was mice, moved a box.... FUCK THAT SHIT!!!!

Sorry, not sorry, they are sprayed, the nest is sprayed, NO NO NO NO FUCKING NO!!!!!!! AUF WIEDERSEHEN , NEIN NEIN, VERPISCH DICH, UND FECKEN SIE

NO!!!!!large.hellno2.png

• Like 5

lol

do you grow up there?

either way those feckers would be straight out, no professionals called (its a downside of our hobby), empty the house of kids and pets and spray the shit out of them

• Like 1

Had to remove one a few years ago. Absolutely amazing structures once you open them up. For the record, ours was a wasp nest, not a hornet nest like you have - wasp nest far easier to remove in my opinion.

• Like 1

Doesn't look too big....

The wasp nest spray in the big black can is pretty effective. I've done a few nests with them in the past. Get twice as many as you think, break the seals on all the lids, have someone pre shake the cans and hand them to you while you're on the ladder, pop open the hatch, unload all the cans, don't stop, close the hatch and wait.

Nest spray foams and covers the hive, anything flying out gets covered and anything flying in pulls the poison further in to the nest; not sure if that's what you used.

The biggest worry for me was if the nest was ruining the eaves/rafters/flooring etc.

You might have forgotten all about it by the weekend.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disco survivor said:

Had to remove one a few years ago. Absolutely amazing structures once you open them up. For the record, ours was a wasp nest, not a hornet nest like you have - wasp nest far easier to remove in my opinion.

I'd say those were wasps tbh

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hashslag said:

I'd say those were wasps tbh

I'm pretty sure it's a wasps nest too, not hornets

6 hours ago, Keye said:

Doesn't look too big....

The wasp nest spray in the big black can is pretty effective. I've done a few nests with them in the past. Get twice as many as you think, break the seals on all the lids, have someone pre shake the cans and hand them to you while you're on the ladder, pop open the hatch, unload all the cans, don't stop, close the hatch and wait.

Nest spray foams and covers the hive, anything flying out gets covered and anything flying in pulls the poison further in to the nest; not sure if that's what you used.

The biggest worry for me was if the nest was ruining the eaves/rafters/flooring etc.

You might have forgotten all about it by the weekend.

Thats pretty much what i did, although the secondary strike which may or may not have worked will likely cause controversy, update on that later once i can brave going back up there, i'm not scared of wasps, but i sure as hell don't want the whole swarm that may have survived, stinging me repeatedly.

In one sense I feel kinda bad as they are actually quite advanced in terms of social structure for an insect, on the other hand, i'm not having them inside my home...... if it was even outside hanging from the roof, i'd have left them be.... , I do get bumbles in the summer, but I leave them alone as even if you get right by them, as long as you don't do anything to scare them they leave you alone, to the extent of flying right upto you and "doing a scan" recognising that you aren't mean, and then going back to their own beesniss (hah), the wasps however just immediately go on an offensive pre-emptive strike.

• Like 1

Oh and the controversial thing i did, was using a combination of spray wasp killer, with a can of  mr.muscle foaming oven cleaner that i had, if you want to know WHY i used it i'll give a vague analysis of the active ingredients as best as my understanding, and how and why it was effective, rather than me just being a special person and grabbing anything to hand, because that would be a silly thing to do with dangerous insects...

Edited by MoT

I've never had a problem dealing with wasps; give no quarter. We don't get really mean varieties in the UK, not really. I think even the nasty ones are pretty docile once they're in this climate, if they make it over somehow. We've had burrowing bees in the lawn this year, that's been new. We've also saved more than usual out of the pool but there's been way less on the lavender this year. We're planting wildflower around the garden and it's becoming a bit more established so we're getting more bees and flying bugs. The bats came about earlier and I think we've built a sort of 'bowl' for them to swoop down in and out of for a bit to eat.

Anyway, good work. 

• Like 2