Adding Mag

Shotgun185

So I have my water report and I’m guessing I need to add mono mag to get the right ratio but unsure of how much. After reading a few topics it seems @Oldbear seems to know the answers.sorry to bother you with it! My water is classed as very hard water.

large.IMG_7615.jpeg

large.IMG_7614.jpeg

these are the reports from the water company  not done to long ago.would any of you kind folk be able to work how much mono I need to add.

cheers

shotgun

Hey u got the same water as me, maybe we are neighbours?

I add 0.4 to 0.5grams of Epsom salts per liter of water at every watering. This gives a 3 to 1 ratio of Ca to Mg.

0.5g of Epsom is equivalent to 0.05g of Mg.

If you are a tight wad like me make you own mono Mg... This makes it much easier than weighing out everytime.

Put 500 grams of Epsom salts (horticultural kind, not bath salts) into a 2l jug. Make the volume upto 1l with tap water, if it won't dissolve give it a few blips in the microwave. The final volume must be 1l.

This makes your own mono Mg 500g/l which is 0.5gper ml. Add between 0.8ml to 1ml of this epsom solution to every liter of water u use for your plants. My last 2 runs I did this and didn't get deficiencies.

Hope this makes sense. I used to work in 2 of the top plant research institutes in the UK, probably the world.

If you want me to explain the math I can do.

Edited by Ajimango
  • Like 3

Hey neighbour! :ninja:

thanks for your reply.I do have some Epsom salt but also have a bottle of the canna mono mag also. I’m a tight ass also! But needs must for the girls! Just thought that the mono would be easier to dose.so when that’s run out I think I will make your recipe up instead! I’ll hold u to the math another day! 
Any ideas on the canna dosages? 
wouldn’t happen to be the John inner centre? 

shotgun

I looked it up Canna mono Mg is 7% MgO. So that's 7g MgO per 100ml. We gotta take the O (oxygen out to make the calculation)

Working this out as I go along. So molecular wt of MgO is 40.3  (Mg is 24.3  O is 16)=40.3

So 24.3/40.3=0.6  .....Mg is 0.6 times of the weight of MgO

0.6 x 7=4.2

So canna mono Mg contains 4.2 grams of Mg in 100ml   ----------- 0.042g per ml

So for a 3:1 Ca:Mg ratio

So your water is 0.141g/l Ca (141mg/l) Ca, so you wud need to add 0.141/3= 0.047g Mg to every l of your feed

Or 0.047/0.042=1.1ml of canna mono Mg

OK so I havent bothered that you already have 6 mg/l in your water. Too small to bother about.

So if you add 1.1 ml of mono Mg to every litre of your feed you will end up with a 3:1 ratio of Ca to Mg

Phew i got this right.

This is the same as canna recommends (10-20ml per 10 litre of feed water)

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Shotgun185 said:

wouldn’t happen to be the John inner centre?

Not saying:)

• Like 1

Wow that’s my head blown for the day! 

there was me thinking it was a simple equation! :wallbash:
just trying to knock it in now! 

thank u very much sir! 

shotgun

• Like 1

It's easy now that @Ajimangohas done the math for you. Beat me to answer you. Once you know 1ml mono Mg is around 42mg magnesium, there's not much to do.

• Like 2

When you put it like that it makes it so so simple! Top marks to @Ajimango for the workings out thou! Have already given the first feed with it aswell! 

:smokin:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Shotgun185 sorry for the hijack bud.

I hoping @Ajimango can helcame out with my figures aswell. I've had a go at running the calcs on the information youve given above but would rather be sure sure.

I'm in a soft water area and will be looking to use canna mono also, here's my readings..

Cheers dude :george:

large.64b2ec92e4037_Screenshot_20230524-230819_SamsungInternet.jpg

large.Screenshot_20230715-080019_OneDrive.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 8:13 PM, Calypsos said:

@Shotgun185 sorry for the hijack bud.

I hoping @Ajimango can helcame out with my figures aswell. I've had a go at running the calcs on the information youve given above but would rather be sure sure.

I'm in a soft water area and will be looking to use canna mono also, here's my readings..

Cheers dude :george:

large.64b2ec92e4037_Screenshot_20230524-230819_SamsungInternet.jpg

large.Screenshot_20230715-080019_OneDrive.jpg

Hello mate 

i have just been looking over the figures and if I’m right you would need 0.6ml of mono a litre. Maybe @Ajimango could browse over it, to double check for me. 

@Shotgun185 

Thanks for the reply man, really appreciate it.

That's exactly what I had it was either 0.5 or 0.6ml just didn't want to sound like a rookie!!

I sort of crossed referenced it with your figures aswell and it's a nearly 50/50 Split so that sort of works out if yours is 1.1ml per litre.

Hoping to get started very soon!!! :hippy:

Don’t worry mate 

i only learnt it a couple of weeks ago from the good people on here!

Amazing this place is! Full of years of experience and knowledge! 
I’m only on my first proper grow so still learning the ropes myself! 
good luck :yep: