Advice on removing some of the chimney

GreenVision

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

what do you mean by 520mm 'each side'? I got the hieght @ 1.8m, or do you mean two columns that merge into one

or the depth

need a picture

mystic

large.1.jpg.9a67e2070b00cad4e32761a6e68d

Each face of the chimney is 520mm across :yep:

not been on here in ages mate but did u not have a good garage conversion ?

reason i ask is im moving from loft to garage 

if u are moving from garage to loft any reason for it ?

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 2:50 PM, GreenVision said:

drill a 12 inch hole a

like the other guy asked, cant you core a 150mm hole into the chimney?

you do know that you have to go through the chimney liner, which could be of clay or precast concrete? or if its a gas fire, poss a thin metal flu liner

have you thought about what fittings you'll need, to connect to the cored-out hole

theres also a layer of fire-retardant filling between the brickwork & the liner, inside the structure

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, greenvigilante said:

not been on here in ages mate but did u not have a good garage conversion ?

reason i ask is im moving from loft to garage 

if u are moving from garage to loft any reason for it ?

Yes mate, best grow area I've had, but sadly moved house since then. Landlord was in serious debt, his bankruptcy court recievers applied to have us (His tenants) removed as he didn't meet his payments and the was a charging order on the house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

like the other guy asked, cant you core a 150mm hole into the chimney?

you do know that you have to go through the chimney liner, which could be of clay or precast concrete? or if its a gas fire, poss a thin metal flu liner

have you thought about what fittings you'll need, to connect to the cored-out hole

theres also a layer of fire-retardant filling between the brickwork & the liner, inside the structure

mystic

I've watched a few videos on youtube and seen a few pics, so I was aware it wasn't just a layer bf bricks.

I was in conctruction for many years myself so I have half a clue about doing it, just never touched a chimney before.

But tbh mate its looking more and more like the eaves are the way to go. Even if I tackle the rest of the issues I'll likely come up against drilling the hole, I really do think its a risk of shaking the shit out of it and it coming down. The chances of me getting the job done without causing any damage to the chimney or sourrounding roof tiles etc is slim to none. I got a better look today and its just to sketchy.

I can get to the eaves easy enough, two 8" holes either end and Y split the ducting. Will work just the same with no risks. :yep:

• Like 3

that's a pain in the arse innit, right in the middle :wallbash:

I'm in a semi detached so the chimney is at one end, that's a right cunt

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GreenVision said:

Yes mate, best grow area I've had, but sadly moved house since then. Landlord was in serious debt, his bankruptcy court recievers applied to have us (His tenants) removed as he didn't meet his payments and the was a charging order on the house.

aach ffs mate

well on the extracting out your loft

i have a 10 inch extractor that goes into 2 x 8" then down into 4x6" splitters and they go down into the eaves

they just look like a bathroom vent at the back of my house and ye barely hear them at all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenvigilante said:

aach ffs mate

well on the extracting out your loft

i have a 10 inch extractor that goes into 2 x 8" then down into 4x6" splitters and they go down into the eaves

they just look like a bathroom vent at the back of my house and ye barely hear them at all

Thats now pretty much the plan mate. :yep:

I can reach through the windows downstairs to fit the louvre on the eaves so should blend in pretty well.

• Like 1

Just now, greenvigilante said:

@GreenVision btw did u ever have a thread about converting your garage?

Kinda....

Not very much in the way of info mate but this was the garage.

I ended up with a 3m x 3.6m grow space. I think you can see in some of the pics I split the room in length. Basically When you came through the door from the garden there was a small area 3m x 1m, this was to have shelves etc fro nutriets, my 200 litre water butt and the intake was from this little room. It also was a double light stopper, so when I came into the garage no light leaks etc.

Worked really well mate, so much control.

The first grow I did in there was KillerSkunk Scrog.

medium.DSC_0076.JPG.122a8d60c77c5993bdd0

Some SweetSeeds Stuff:

medium.4.JPG.584ee9796be778fce5f8b831c3c

medium_SS1.JPG.448e1b6336eb52c5b56843a30

As I said, genuinelly the best grow area / tent Ive had.

• Like 2