de-humidifier?

oldleafybeard1

Hi

So I have more plants in my tent than usual (7) although 2 are fairly small due to pot size, I have noticed after watering humidity is staying at around 70 for a couple of days dropping off to 60 between waters. I am looking at de-huhmidifier options as they will hit flower in the next couple of weeks, tent is 120 x 60 x 160 does anyone have any recomendations for something suitible because I am looking for as "budget" as possible but want something that will work and last.

Thanks in advance :) OLB

• Like 1

I've got an EcoAir DD128 Desiccant Dehumidifier with Ioniser and Silver Filter, 8 L and just in case there's ever a problem,

I have an Inventor Dehumidifier Rise 8L (desiccant) sitting waiting for it's chance to do it's stuff.

Neither were particularly cheap iirc,

my priority was more about stealth and quality,

so there are defiantly cheaper options if noise levels aren't such an issue for you :) 

Remember a dehumidifier will produce more heat too.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

Remember a dehumidifier will produce more heat too.

So true, lots of heat.

• Like 2

You may be suprised by how much little water your plants need esp in flower.

Try watering less and see if you can reduce RH that way b4 spending £££.

Tho a dehumi is always useful around the house esp. in winter.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ajimango said:

So true, lots of heat.

Great if you're trying to dry clothes lol

• Like 2

If your on a budget go for 2nd hand, got mine for about 30 quid. You'll want it in the room you draw the air for tent from (lung room) and big enough to easily cope with a room that size. Don't be tempted by the small/mini ones, they won't do anything at all. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

I use a dehumidifier for drying bud, not recommended but does the job fast, that is if I end up with any bud, I don't always.

They're great. Will warm a space too in winter

Just now, KC said:

@kittythemonkey Do you want it to dry fast? Most people want it to dry slowly, it's much more flavoursome.

Yeah. I sure do.

It's not that fast, about a week///

it's a tad harsh but does the job..

I cut all the tiny buds off and lay  them gently on beds of brown paper in cardboard boxes with holes everywhere and place them where at least some of the warm wind will reach them and I turn them lovingly every day and whisper sweet nothings to them.

They will have had hard lives prior to decapitation and large quantities of hydrogen peroxide squirted in their eyes so it's all an act of mercy, really.

I completely lack grace and finesse and discipline, same way with cooking..

but, does the job.

I think I'd make more of an effort if i had an indoor set up and lived in a free country.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ajimango said:

You may be suprised by how much little water your plants need esp in flower.

Try watering less and see if you can reduce RH that way b4 spending £££.

Tho a dehumi is always useful around the house esp. in winter.

Maybe I will try this for this run considering what others said because to be honest im at the upper edge on heat as well so it might all be for nothing if I splash out. I might end up having to cull a couple of the plants early if its getting to be an issue though I think, I kinda struggled a bit with the watering in my first couple of grows because im still feeling out balance of need for water vs humidity and I did get some beginning stages of mould in the last couple of weeks and chopped a little earlier than I was aiming for so I feel really paranoid about it now. I might then instead invest in a better fan as that might have a bigger benefit. Cheers guys.

Edited by oldleafybeard1
  • Like 2

As @MindSoup says 2nd hand is your friend if on a budget, I picked up an electriQ 160w for £40. Running costs could end up more than it costs to run lights tho. 

Avoiding overwatering and removing lower fan leaves may help reduce humidity. I've not had to run dehumidifier last few runs this way and would only think of running it tail end of flowering once buds start filling out 

• Like 2

Get your fans going and plenty of breeze blowing thru your grow. I did this and the plants didnt seem to mind. I set the fans blowing up thru the canopy.

And like eldo said cut some leaves off. First sign of rot and i removed most of the fan leaves with long petioles.

• Like 1

Are they even needed?

Just harvested one of my biggest grows.

Due to the terrible humidity here (SW France) my groom sat at 70% at 29c. The outside air just never got lower.

I just ensured plenty of air movement and my big fans changing the air at a high rate.

I was a tad concerned as I had some very large and dense buds but I got zero rot.

Whereas my flowering autos outside did get rot, I suspect from the dew in the morning.

So have plenty of air movement and minimise massive temp swings you should be fine.

• Like 2