welshsteven

Hi, sorry if this has been done before but I couldn't find it. I am trying to work out what is needed for a hypothetical sealed Grow Room. I know getting it air/smell tight will be a challenge.

but as for temperature and humidity, I was thinking a split a/c unit would control the temps and the part of the humidity. And then a dehumidifier for fine control during the critical stages. I was thinking of a co2 monitor with contacts linking to a solenoid and co2 tank to keep the co2 levels topped up. And probably led lights to reduce the heat build up the a/c would have to deal with. Sounds simple to me but maybe I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated. I've had experience with extraction cultivation using hydro.

Take a look at opticlimate,, you dont need a outside unit but they drink water like a fish,, not so good if your on a water meter 

AC will work but it depends on how many lights your using 

• Like 1

Wow. That's a game changer for sure. I can't believe I haven't seen them before. I'm not on a meter, but could hook it up to the jacuzzi or dhw tank for efficiency. Shame about the price tag. Defo keep an eye on them though. Thanks.

@welshsteven  the opti's take cold water to cool the hot air and it comes back out hot around 38c,, jacuzzi hot

On 02/07/2023 at 2:34 PM, ravsta said:

Take a look at opticlimate,, you dont need a outside unit but they drink water like a fish,, not so good if your on a water meter 

AC will work but it depends on how many lights your using 

We ran a opticlimate in a place shouldn’t of been years ago ended up having to shut down as the water board where looking for big leaks fook me they consumed lol 

• Like 3

@welshsteven

During the colder winter in my loft, I zip the tent up and run co2, mainly to save on heating but one drawback is the amount of condensation as the inside of the tent is about 33 degrees and the outside is less than 8. I'm in the process of building a 50mm kingspan box about 3m x 2.5m to help with that issue. I find with LED and a very efficient dehumidifier that I don't need AC, obviously summer would be totally different and as such I drop the sealed malarkey and return to a normal operation. smell wise, the room the room is in will still smell so best to have some sort of carbon scrubbing in the room to eliminate and possible smells escaping. I've looked at those opticlimate and RO water is advised as the limescale would fur it up and would need maintenance.

is this a room in a house, outbuilding, storage unit, what kind of environmental factors would effect the day to day temperature and humidity of the area your sealed room would sit in?

dehumidifier wise, anything sealed and you need a quest, household dehumidifiers don't cut the mustard and produce far more heat.  pound for pound  quests are THE best at water removal per kw/h and designed for the horticultural market, I'm nearing closer to getting one, it's a bit of a throw at about 1400 for one with the ducting kit but the benefits it would bring over my current igenix 50L unit is a no brainer.

I'd love a room with a mini split but rented accommodation and the AC would stick out like a sore thumb arising questions from the landlord.

a previous house mate made a DIY closed loop system that had a series of small radiators that were fed with cold water which resulted in amazing results, the air would get recycled and cooled amazingly but his op was fairly small and his room still reeked.... and his weed was shit lol

I'm a leakage inspector, we would notice a massive spike in consumption and think it was a leak and go looking if your were thinking of using a opticlimate, not so bad if your in a big city but anywhere else we would find it and think its a leak 

• Like 2

Seems its a pretty common occurance... I know atleast one lad who's had the water board out looking for leaks because of his opticlimate.

1 hour ago, sweettooth said:

. I've looked at those opticlimate and RO water is advised as the limescale would fur it up and would need maintenance.

Or, in the least, I wouldn't use one in a "hard water" area. I've replaced the fans on them before that have succumb to the limescale. I don't think there is an RO system out there that could produce between 1 - 5 litres a minute lol not available to us, anyway!

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

1 - 5 litres a minute lol not available to us, anyway!

Holy fuck. Anyway of using a water chiller and recycling the water ?

±+++++++++++++++++++

Edit... I've seen the coolers opticlimate offer so the water is an enclosed looped system, looks awesome but a fuck load of dollar

Edited by sweettooth
water cooler
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Holy fuck. Anyway of using a water chiller and recycling the water ?

More outlay and running costs...I'd be looking at the gains of running a sealed system against what the majority of us indoors do now.

My shed is sectioned off with a 50mm kingspan all round insulated grow area, just one 18" passive intake and one 6" outtake,

works well summer and winter, It could easily be sealed completely but I can't see it being viable.

• Like 2

On 02/07/2023 at 2:34 PM, ravsta said:

9 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

We ran a opticlimate in a place shouldn’t of been years ago ended up having to shut down as the water board where looking for big leaks fook me they consumed lol 

ah shiz. I've already had the water board up looking for leaks as there 9L a min going somewhere up our lane. lol. I could hook it up to our pool. It's 10,000L. Just a paddling pool but it required anl 35kw boiler going flat out to keep it warm!

7 hours ago, sweettooth said:

@welshsteven

is this a room in a house, outbuilding, storage unit, what kind of environmental factors would effect the day to day temperature and humidity of the area your sealed room would sit in?

dehumidifier wise, anything sealed and you need a quest, household dehumidifiers don't cut the mustard and produce far more heat. 

Building a room inside my new shed for this purpose. Kinda rural so not too bad. I've got two £2500 industrial dehumidifiers I found in a skip. They worked perfect. When I get them out I'll post the make and model. What a find though! 

• Like 1

Unless the room is 100% sealed, every little hole from cables or pipes, the smell will escape out. 

11 hours ago, stu914 said:

More outlay and running costs...I'd be looking at the gains of running a sealed system against what the majority of us indoors do now.

My shed is sectioned off with a 50mm kingspan all round insulated grow area, just one 18" passive intake and one 6" outtake,

works well summer and winter, It could easily be sealed completely but I can't see it being viable.

I couldn't agree more, the outlay and running costs, especially for a micro grow would out weigh the costs by far, even on a 1.5x3m area,

glad to know 50mm works well, I've been deciding what thickness to use on my next build, I think 25mm is too thin

• Like 1

an AC, will give you really dry air, as a result of the way they condition the air, so I dont think you'll need a dehumidifier

I reckon you WILL need a humidifier tho'

- as a guide, my portable AC's air soon had my room hygro at 35%, 30 even

you could prolly balance it with a humidifier to put back some moisture

mystic

Edited by mysticriver