Using an aerator

MoT

Okay, this is a bit of a random one, so any thoughts are welcome as i'm sure someone has already tried and has the answer.

Would it have ANY benefit at all, to use an aquarium bubbler/aerator UNDERNEATH fabric pots in the runnoff that collects in the plant saucer, after a good watering, at least until it gets pulled back into the pot? or is that the stupidest thing anyone has ever heard, and i should be flogged publicly for even asking such a question...? :D

Just now, MoT said:

at least until it gets pulled back into the pot?

This isn't what you do, its a bit like eating your own shit and ya wouldnt do that lol

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

This isn't what you do, its a bit like eating your own shit and ya wouldnt do that lol

Wait, what? you aren't supposed to water until runoff (i'm not talking litres of the stuff) and allow the water back into the pots? surely it's just nutrient rich water going to waste? :/ , and yes as humans, we don't eat our own faeces , but plenty of animals DO and it is to make use of nutrients that werent absorbed first time around?

No, you're not supposed to let them suck the waste water back up. Half of what you're doing when you water a plant from the top, to run off, is to drain the excess salts off to keep the EC in the root zone at an acceptable level. Theres a reason its called drain to waste.

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

No, you're not supposed to let them suck the nutrients back up. Half of what you're doing when you water a plant from the top, to run off, is to drain the excess salts off to keep the EC in the root zone at an acceptable level. Theres a reason its called drain to waste.

As per my grow post it's been 23 years since i last grew and things have seemingly changed dramatically, so are you saying that ideally, I should be physically removing the runnoff entirely from the saucer and not allowing any reuptake at all? i presume in that instance i SHOULD be watering to runnoff to aid in the removal of salts, and then dump that liquid?

Just now, MoT said:

i presume in that instance i SHOULD be watering to runnoff to aid in the removal of salts, and then dump that liquid?

You've got it dude :yep: I like to use a big tray, with upturned plant pot saucers so the waste water runs freely into the trays and keeps them from sitting in it - letting it drain free like this also helps with drawing oxygen into the pot, so much so that it actually removes all need for air stones or anything like that.

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

You've got it dude :yep: I like to use a big tray, with upturned plant pot saucers so the waste water runs freely into the trays and keeps them from sitting in it - letting it drain free like this also helps with drawing oxygen into the pot, so much so that it actually removes all need for air stones or anything like that.

Okay, thank you, it was always a case growing up and learning with my grandparents that you let any and all plants in pots reuptake the water for the reasons i mentioned, guess i'll have to get some big assed syringes or something then :)

Just now, MoT said:

guess i'll have to get some big assed syringes or something then :)

big car wash sponge and a bucket!

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

Another little aside related to this then, i always let my water stand 24 hours because of the apparent chlorine, would it be  pointless aerating the water before it goes into the pot from above, or would that actually be vaguely sensible and beneficial, or just pissing about pointlessly for the hell of it? Cheers matey

I never let water stand for 24hrs, if you're concerned chlorine or w/e a pinch of ascorbic acid in the tank (i'd implore you to look into proper dilution) sorts that issue out and saves you faffing about. You should have a small water pump in the tank to keep nutrients mixed anyway, typically this causes the surface tension on the top of the water to break and lets oxygen in - thats more about stopping the water going stagnant though.

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

I never let water stand for 24hrs, if you're concerned chlorine or w/e a pinch of ascorbic acid in the tank (i'd implore you to look into proper dilution) sorts that issue out and saves you faffing about. You should have a small water pump in the tank to keep nutrients mixed anyway, typically this causes the surface tension on the top of the water to break and lets oxygen in - thats more about stopping the water going stagnant though.

Ah okay, thank you again :) that's very helpful, it's not so much a concern myself with chlorine, i guess i'm just being a sheep to what i've read and trying to get myself back up to scratch, the last time i grew, autoflowering strains didn't even EXIST (well they did, ruderalis but you know, at the time it was a pointless variant that had pretty much no use, look at it now :) )  Thank you very much for the advice @GSZZ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MoT said:

big assed syringes or something

I use an oil removal syringe, that mechanics use to suck up oil from the sump etc

there 500ml, next-day delivery from the 'zon

mystic

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 10:44 AM, mysticriver said:

I use an oil removal syringe, that mechanics use to suck up oil from the sump etc

there 500ml, next-day delivery from the 'zon

mystic

Thanks @mysticriver this was the route i went, not the best quality, but far easier than a sponge (thank you for the suggestion though @GSZZ) THE COLOUR OF THAT WATER :/

12 hours ago, MoT said:

this was the route

ive got a, say 200mm, length of clear tube on the end of the syringe, it helps when your leaning in to get to the back trays

mystic