potting up

geogeo

hi guys , potting up my 3 girls tomorro if the weather is dry , (wet nearly every day )  maybe left it a little late 8 weeks old in the garden experiment , reg's  goin into there final pots 

i have always been tempted to ease out the roots ?? , would this be bad practice :ohmygod::thumbdown: , also im goin to make cover's out off black poly to cover the compost as i think they are getting

to much rain water during the night , or day  scottish summers , lower fan leaves getting a bit yellow , any thoughts ?? kind regards G .   PS  the sun or the rain has washed the labels off

so they could be the free subbie seeds , open pollination ones haze, chem . DHAC . lol

• Like 1

As a gardener I often give the roots a bit of a tease before planting, especially with trees or shrubs, but most people dont seem to recommend it for cannabis. So unless for whatever reason you let something get really pot bound, I would say don't bother. 

• Like 2

@MindSoup ahhhh so if for some reason you had to hold off on potting up, and had more roots that compost, a wall of white fibres ....... you'd maybe tease those out a bit and try and spread them out into the fresh compost? I hadn't seen that mentioned on here before. I've had a couple her and there that were basically white roots, couldn't see much compost at all lol Would those girls maybe have done better with a bit of a root tease?

@geogeo ahhhh most of my first harvest was mystery weed after I carefully removed all the labels, then chopped it all and hung it up without a second thought lollol 

• Like 1

@Gaijin Potentially yes, once the roots have made a full lap of the pot they will sometimes just keep going round and round in circles and not spread out as well as they could. It's much more of a problem with woody roots like you get on trees and shrubs, but in an extreme case it can happen with any plant. I would probably opt for just a nice clean score with the tip of a razor blade with canna, it will have the same effect but cause less stress and won't run the risk of killing any root mass. Like I say though, prob only for extreme circumstances, much better to just pot them on at the right time and avoid pot binding all together. 

• Like 5

Herbaceous stuff can take a root rijig better than most people think, I reckon weed roots out new pots faster after a lil tease of the rootball personally.

I was doing some bonsai on a mother plant last week , she came out of a 3L round pot, I bread knifed her down to a 9-10cm square pot sized rootball and stuck her into a 2L square pot in fresh dirt.

No root tonic only corporation pop and we've already got roots coming out of the drainage holes..

Don't be shy :yep:

@MindSoup do you find things in square pots seem to have a little longer shelf life before needing attention? I'm half convinced stuff gets rootbound faster in round pots

:yinyang:

Edited by BilgePump
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, BilgePump said:

do you find things in square pots seem to have a little longer shelf life before needing attention? I'm half convinced stuff gets rootbound faster in round pots

You know, I nearly mentioned that as well, but I've never properly tested the theory. 

• Like 2

THANKS GUYS  got 3 girls , may be will tease out one , an knife one , and leave one with  out . this time goin to the big B shed an get some plastic white sticks

an a good marker pen   ,  i suppose it aint mater now , the stain. as they are goin into the rso mix . got the wind now from the west , just another problem for the 

outside farmers . an more rain tonight makin compost covers out of plant magic bags , thanks again,, mindsoup, gaijin,  bilgepump  for your replys .G

• 2 months later...

I've found that they seem to go a tad mardy if you mess with their roots during potting up, I fluff the soil up in the bottom of the planting hole to fill any gaps in the new pot and tap the sides as I'm filling.

On 30-6-2023 at 5:31 PM, geogeo said:

to much rain water during the night , or day  scottish summers , lower fan leaves getting a bit yellow , any thoughts ?? kind regards G .  

@geogeo  thisway you control the water the plant gets in a pot...  :) 

call it potparka :) 

gallery_5211_1953_47943.jpg

gallery_5211_1953_138153.jpg

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4

@geogeo I have used white reflective sheeting using NFT (no mud hydro) to protect roots from the light and reflect light back into the leaves. I personally wouldn't cover compost outside in a similar manner. Nature doesn't cover stuff in plastic.

• Like 2