It's bloody massive!

MoT

LOL, so yet again i'm a dumb dumb.......

Managed to bag an absolute bargain brand new(unbranded) 6"Fan with speed controller+10m ducting+Carbon filter for 25 knicker, i was expecting the fan to be plastic tat more than likely but its all metal and seems for the moment at least to be really nicely balanced, HOWEVER, I hadn't really visualised how fecking big it was going to be, it's bloody enormous and eats 100w!!!! and being the size it is the airflow is pretty noisy, what a plonker :D:D:Dlol

Does anybody have any idea if it's possible to run the power to it through something like a dimmer switch to slow the beast down even more than the speed controller allows, or is that a hare-brained scheme that will just result in it either A) Not working at all B)damaging the fan/speed controller or C)making it somehow a fire hazard (either the fan itself/the controller/the dimmer/the main power outlet....

I mean seriously, it looks like a bloody ramjet out of Kerbal Space Program......

Thanks all

• Like 1

AC fans have to run above a certain speed to keep the motor cool. Also, I think you get an annoying noise if try to bring it down, which ultimately defeats the original objective. To be safe, and quiet, you want an EC fan.... Electronically Commutated. You'll save energy costs as well because they are MUCH more efficient. You can run them 1 hour on/2off continuously for instance and they won't murmer.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

If you don't mind the humming 5pound one will do,I got the one for diming light. It's really annoying sound when I put it under 80% of power.

If you want it efficient and no hum take what cat said up.

• Like 1

okay well i've ordered one just to see how it works out and thanks for the advice guys, its not actually AS bad, as it sounded once it's all together, it's still loud, but not like a jet taking off, i'm now not AS annoyed at myself...it's still fucking huge though, seriously overkill :/ , ho hum..... :)

Just a small update in case it helps anyone else, the secondary plug in controller (a lamp dimmer) I got from the big river, actually helped a lot, i'ts a little fiddly to get it to just low enough without the fan saying nope and switching off, BUT, it certainly has allowed me to get the speed down to a level where it isn't roaring, and happily no nasty hum :) , i'm glad i bothered to experiment i'd have only been out of pocket 8 bucks had it not worked, so happy days :)