What could be eating my plant?

latitude54

Odd one.. I've got around 14 plants in the poly tunnel and they're all looking fine and bug free except the Zkittlez Glue. Which looks like its been shot at with a very small shotgun. lol 

I do keep finding leaves kinda glued together with spider web so I'm guessing there's a spider trying to make a home in the plant but not sure that's related? 

large_sg1.jpg

Capsid bugs. 

They don't generally cause to much harm to a healthy plant, but Ir they do get out of control a wee bit of garlic & chilli spray will normally encourage them to move on. Treat all the girls at the same time so they don't just jump ship to another one. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Cool cheers. I'm not overly worried about the damage as it's fairly minimal but it doesn't look very pretty. 

Is there a chilli and garlic spray on the market or do I need to raid Mrs Latitude's pantry? lol And if so, what's the best recipe?

It's a home made sort of thing. Can't remember the recipe exactly, but it's only a google away, basically just simmer a head of garlic and a couple.of chillis for a few hrs, think you dilute it before use iirc. 

You could use all manor of other things as well, but I generally don't find pesticides necessary outdoors, all you need to do is make your plants less palatable than something else nearby. Soap, peppermint etc etc can all work as well, have a look on google for ideas. 

• Like 1

Google seems to suggest:

Crush a head of garlic, 4-5 chillies and simmer in 3L water for 20 mins. 

Cool and strain the bits out. 

Add a bit of liquid soap, another couple L of water and bob's your aunt fanny. 

So.. that's this afternoon's job. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

should help move them on to something less precious

I wonder if they eat children? If so, I have a 5 year old that I wouldn't mind surrendering to them lol 

• Like 3

I agree looks like capsid damage to me.. be careful with the garlic spray, hit mine with some about 3 seasons back and it nearly killed them..neem and dish soap works a treat and is a little kinda to the plant @latitude54:yep:

• Like 1