pots or mounds on stony ground?

Whammyc

hi ive got a plot thats got stoney ground and its taking me about 25 minutes to do a single hole. and ive got a fair few to go out, as its getting late in the season im thinking about just bringing in some soil and pots or just making mounds out of the soil and planting them in that? 

which do you think would hold water the best?

im gonna fork the ground abit before I make a mound so if the roots hits the bottom they can go into the ground. 

also how close do you plant your plants? i always thought dont plant too close for air circulation and stuff. but looking at @panik on youtube alot of his are very close? so cant be a bad thing. it will allow me to get more on less sites aswell 

• Like 1

At this stage in the game and facing a quarry of stone ,   i would be potting straight on top ,   could even attempt bottomless but if the grounds that stony may we ll just stay in pots. 

Downside is the pots can dry out fast in the heat !!    So water donkey duties more often !    Dry pots blow over very easily !!

Pots would afford you to move them around space them out  / maximise air flow  -  Panik was possibly selecting phenos and not too worried about the air flow through the plot ,  as long as some form of breeze get across the plot is all good mate.      

Pots get my vote at this stage in the game dude.           If going pots get a good wetter wetter in the medium to try hold a tad more wet stuff.   

All the best with it sir 

why not pots 90% bottomless in the soil ?

are you sure your plot is not a chemical dumpside ?

Edited by DutchFox

20 hours ago, DutchFox said:

why not pots 90% bottomless in the soil ?

are you sure your plot is not a chemical dumpside ?

didnt think of the bottomless pots tbh and yeah im sure its not a dumpsite

On 27/06/2023 at 0:55 PM, OldFord said:

At this stage in the game and facing a quarry of stone ,   i would be potting straight on top ,   could even attempt bottomless but if the grounds that stony may we ll just stay in pots. 

Downside is the pots can dry out fast in the heat !!    So water donkey duties more often !    Dry pots blow over very easily !!

Pots would afford you to move them around space them out  / maximise air flow  -  Panik was possibly selecting phenos and not too worried about the air flow through the plot ,  as long as some form of breeze get across the plot is all good mate.      

Pots get my vote at this stage in the game dude.           If going pots get a good wetter wetter in the medium to try hold a tad more wet stuff.   

All the best with it sir 

thanks mate think ill give pots a go then 

• Like 1