My First RDWC System

Welsh Ian

My First Recirculating Deep Water Culture Hydroponic Build.

Hi all, my name is Ian from North Wales. Firstly, thank you for letting me join your group, I have been lurking in the wings for a few months reading everything I could. By profession I am a plastic welder fabricator building mostly bespoke Koi Pond filtration equipment. I recently got asked by a gentleman could I build a recirculating deep water culture hydroponic system. I said if he could do me a fag packet sketch with dimensions, I would have a go. The guy never got back to me but it was to late I had already started reading up on the subject and I was hooked. Countless hours of research later and after watching untold YouTube videos I decided I was going to build one for myself and to test the bespoke Hydroponic market. I settled on a small 4 pot system where the dimensions between each cube and the sump could easily be altered to suit individual customers needs.

I would be very gratefull for constructive feedback or comments.

The Cubes

300 mm L x 300 mm W x 300 mm H

Internal water level 200 mm deep

300 x 300 x 200 = 18 litres PER CUBE

The Reservoir

400 mm L x 400 mm W x 500 mm H

Internal water level 240 mm deep (cube plus plinth)

38 litres

Pipework

Add 20 litres for volume of water contained within the pipe work

4 cubes @ 18 litres each = 72 litres

1 reservoir @ 38 litres

Pipework 20 litres

Total = 130 litres

Edited by Welsh Ian
  • Like 1

Hey and welcome ... :toot:

your build sounds cool .... please post pics of the build, love to see it ... :)

@Welsh Ian

I have moved this to the hydro section as the new member section is for introductions only no growing questions in there please. 

Feel free to make a new post in the new members section to introduce yourself. 

:yinyang:

Hi, thank you very much. I have tried adding photographs to the post but am unable to do it. I uploaded the pictures to an album. Could you possibly insert then into my post.

Ian

at the bottom of the text box you should see a "insert other media" box.

click on it and your album comes up. click on the photos you want to upload and then  submit reply.

it looks like a great system too

looks pretty sweet, thise units are costly new, mind if I ask how much that cost you to build?

I just did lol

On 27/06/2023 at 6:01 AM, Welsh Ian said:

Hi all, my name is Ian from North Wales. Firstly, thank you for letting me join your group, I have been lurking in the wings for a few months reading everything I could. By profession I am a plastic welder fabricator building mostly bespoke Koi Pond filtration equipment. I recently got asked by a gentleman could I build a recirculating deep water culture hydroponic system. I said if he could do me a fag packet sketch with dimensions, I would have a go. The guy never got back to me but it was to late I had already started reading up on the subject and I was hooked. Countless hours of research later and after watching untold YouTube videos I decided I was going to build one for myself and to test the bespoke Hydroponic market. I settled on a small 4 pot system where the dimensions between each cube and the sump could easily be altered to suit individual customers needs.

The Cubes

The Reservoir

38 litres

Pipework

1 reservoir @ 38 litres

Pipework 20 litres

Total = 130 litres

The Cubes

The Reservoir

38 litres

Pipework

1 reservoir @ 38 litres

Pipework 20 litres

Total = 130 litres

11 hours ago, sweettooth said:

looks pretty sweet, thise units are costly new, mind if I ask how much that cost you to build?

I just did lol

I would say around £500

@Welsh Ian

Hi Ian welcome to the madhouse...

That looks to be a top quality build and should work a treat look forward to seeing it in action...:yep:

I used to grow dwc but found drawbacks and have now moved on to an experimental hybrid of several systems

cobbled together, worked really well over the last couple of grows and am still tweaking the finer points,

have a look in my profile if you have five mins.

Cheers

atb

stu:oldtoker: