The Chems and The UK

Cajafiesta

On 24/06/2023 at 1:33 PM, Cajafiesta said:

Hey folks,

Figured I'd post up here.  As luck and happenstance have transpired--looks like I have cuts of The Dog aka Chemdog aka Chem 91 AND Chem D coming my way.  All signs point to them being legit, so that's pretty neat.  

I've never smoked or grown either of these, but their reputation, at least in the US, precedes them by a good bit. I've seen video of Chem D flowers being broken up, and they're so resinous that little strands of resin string out, looking like spider webs, as the flower is pulled apart.  I've talked to some dudes that have had and grown it for a long time, and they all sort of end up making the same statement.  It's one of, maybe the most, impactful/potent weed they've ever had. The term "G.O.A.T." gets thrown around about them a lot.  Maybe valid, maybe just IG hype. 

Curious if The Chems ( 91 and D.  I don't much care about Chem Sister or Chem 4) made it to the UK and what regard they are held in.  

I'm excited to take a look at them and see what the folklore is all about.  If they seem real, I'll S1 both of them for preservation and send some in as subs. 

I would love to get the Chem 91 cut again but I will warn you this one is prone to hermi for the least little thing. It's like a strong diesel Afghan type plant & not the best yeilding. 

Chem D was far more common because it yields better not as smelly but still similar & very loud on the smells still. Easier to grow & less risk of hermis from silly little stress. 

If you ever try breeding them don't self them. Crossing the 2 cuts will reduce the amount of hermis produced but remember all selfed chem's produce a lot of hermi offspring. For this reason a lot of breeder's offering selfed chems aften use a revered chem hybrid and actually Bx to the chem clone. They still call it after the cut. Cali connections used a Skunk VA & released a regular version many moons ago called Chem 91. This is what I believe they use but still get a hell of a lot of hermi still. Its not uncommon to grow a 10 pack & get 10 hermi plants. 

• Like 1

@brock1 everyone that I’ve talked with that has The D says it herms, too, but apparently, as far as I’m told, the d sterile herms. I don’t really care if it throws nanners, if they’re sterile. 

bur the herm thing makes sense across the board. I assume the Chem 91 and The D are Afghan at the core of them. Every Landrace/locally inbred/unworked/whatever term you wanna use Afghan I’ve touched Hermed to shit and back. I planted 6 seeds once, every one went nuts with intersex traits. Probably 50 nanners on each plant. 

my want for the Chems is just personal. No desire to breed it, really. I just wanna smoke it, so I’m not bothered too bad by herms, especially if they’re sterile 

Your comments regarding selfing them are noted, thanks for that but of info. I didn’t consider that too closely. Perhaps cross them to each other or, as you’ve said, backcross them and then work that line to eliminate herms. 

or just s1 the fuckers and send them in with a warning lol   Sub at your own risk hahaha 

Edited by Cajafiesta

@brock1

you got me thinking now though. Interesting to conceptualize even if I don’t really have any intent of doing it.

I wonder if it would be worth the effort to BX3 the 91 cut and then work it to bx3 f4,5,6 etc in an effort to eliminate the hermaphrodite tendencies.  I assume it would be probable that you could get a Herm free representation of the original that way, but that is starting to get out of my scope of experience.

Thoughts on that?

Although now that I think about it more… I’m not so confident in that. By the time you hit the third back cross the genetics are majority of the mother plant. With that being the case may be working a BX3  to later filial generations would do absolutely nothing. At that point it would kind of be the same thing as an s1.  You’re just breeding one set of genetics against its self. 

that’s a bit of a brain bender for me...

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

@brock1 everyone that I’ve talked with that has The D says it herms, too, but apparently, as far as I’m told, the d sterile herms. I don’t really care if it throws nanners, if they’re sterile. 

bur the herm thing makes sense across the board. I assume the Chem 91 and The D are Afghan at the core of them. Every Landrace/locally inbred/unworked/whatever term you wanna use Afghan I’ve touched Hermed to shit and back. I planted 6 seeds once, every one went nuts with intersex traits. Probably 50 nanners on each plant. 

my want for the Chems is just personal. No desire to breed it, really. I just wanna smoke it, so I’m not bothered too bad by herms, especially if they’re sterile 

Your comments regarding selfing them are noted, thanks for that but of info. I didn’t consider that too closely. Perhaps cross them to each other or, as you’ve said, backcross them and then work that line to eliminate herms. 

or just s1 the fuckers and send them in with a warning lol   Sub at your own risk hahaha 

All of the Chem cuts are bag seed from Dog shit weed. The Chem part was added later when the 91 was commercial grown in new York as chemical weed. The 2 name were combined to make the iconic name Chem for chemical weed and dawg as in Dog shit weed chemdawg. The 91 was the original cut from a dog shit bag seed. Later more seeds were germinated to get the other chem cuts chem d, chemisis and chem#4. The 91 was the hardest cut to get because it hermied easily. The trouble is they was also a few fakes that breeders even used that claimed to be the 91 cut. All the chems hermi apart from the chem 4 (Boston hogs breath cut) as its sometimes called. Never managed to get the chemsis cut so can't comment on her. But the 91 was definitely the most easy to go full hermi early in flower. The D made a few late nanas but not a lot. Both cuts were self sterile but will pollinate other plants still if grow in the same room. Remember to spray down after harvesting your room. Chems are 1 of my all time favorite strains so I am looking forward to you growing them :thumsup:

As for using inbreeding to eliminate hermaphrodite traits. Thats not possible as it requires more ethylene to be produced by a damaged gene trying to save its genetics. It would need outcrossing to repair. Ploidy breeding might help but with no certainty. :hippy:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 1

@brock1  yeah, I’ve read the account of events many times and verified it with some folks that seem to have “known a guy that knows a guy that knew this guy that...” 

as far as growing for smoke, that’s easy enough to manage, If it is self-sterile. But if that’s the case, how are there s1 floating around?  I know that’s an issue, as people often seem to end up with an s1 as the actual cut. So what gives there?  How can it be self sterile, but you can still self it? That seems contradictory in theory?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

@brock1  yeah, I’ve read the account of events many times and verified it with some folks that seem to have “known a guy that knows a guy that knew this guy that...” 

as far as growing for smoke, that’s easy enough to manage, If it is self-sterile. But if that’s the case, how are there s1 floating around?  I know that’s an issue, as people often seem to end up with an s1 as the actual cut. So what gives there?  How can it be self sterile, but you can still self it? That seems contradictory in theory?

Many many moons ago the Chemdawgs were released in regular form using a skunk like sour diesel in most cases these are reversed & Bx to the original Chem mother. These are not technically S1 but as the originals hybrids were sold as chemdawg it seems to be acceptable. 

Their was also a fake chemdawg 91 cut. From what I remember this was from a Bag seed chem grow using the original Chem 91. The trouble with this claim is it wasn't self sterile that didn't add up & it produced males from these few bag seeds. The bigger problem was it got released as a chem 91 cut & seeds sold from when it clearly wasn't. 

Edited by brock1

Bagseed from a grateful dead concert is what's written on the pack of DNAs og kush.

I have 4 of there og18 n they look banging