Can I germinate seeds directly in the ground?

childofmelee

Can I germinate seeds directly in the ground?, anyone had experience doing this and what kind of germination rate did you get?

It might work but it's hit and miss. They're vulnerable to various wildlife and environmental factors. You'd have a better success rate if you start them off in small containers in a place where you can keep them safe and warm, greenhouse, grow box, window sill or under a grow light. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, childofmelee said:

Can I germinate seeds directly in the ground?, anyone had experience doing this and what kind of germination rate did you get?

yes you can...temperature of soil is high enough now this date.

growing up first few weeks in sheltered surrounding give the plant a 1000 times better survival rate.

so do not do it with expensive bought seeds.

i done it with own grownseeds....so try to make your own seeds for next year.

for this year....buy a kilo of birds seeds with hemp seeds.....and do your experimenting with that.... :) direct in soil.

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2

You will have a low success rate for reasons stated above but if you have loads at your disposal then give it a shot..sow 10x what you need to have half a chance..using a net like in the pic will be a good move, the birds will prob have them otherwise..

Good luck and let's us all no how you got on :yep:

• Like 1

@DutchFox

Thanks for the link, this is what I'll do instead of germinating in the ground because I'll be using premium seeds, not bag seed so I don't really want to waste seeds.

Edited by Owderb
Quote removed
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Arbre Medicinal said:

Yes you can, I've done exactly that this year. Link to my diary in sig.

Okay thanks, I'll follow along.