Do Nutrients go off?

mystic_roots

I see some bottles have Best before Dates, do nutrients actually go out of date and loose their strength? I've got a bottle of magnuesium I use as our water lacks it and it's kinda gone yellow and best before date was last year. Plants are showing what I think are early stages of magnesium deficiency as they're getting darker veins on them while the leaf remains a lighter shade.

Short answer is yes they do, kinda, go off. Storage has alot to do with it, not too cold not too hot not too many swings in temps no exposure to lots of light and they'll last a long while (with regular shaking), oh and cleanliness - dipping a syringe thats been in something like Root Tonic into a bottle thats purely mineral is bound to make stuff go funny.

• Like 6

A liquid based organic feed would over time degrade. I have kept nutrients for 18-24mth & I've never noticed any issues.

Just stopped by to say exactly what Mr Syrup just said, can't really add anything to that.

Also can't tag :thumbdown:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Using Maxicrop Brown as a reference: once air gets in there, aerobic decomposition is taking place. A 1L bottle is just starting releasing sulphides when it's nearly empty for me. Whether a bottle that smells is still useful depends which compounds have degraded and how desirable they were.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd bin it. Magnesium is so cheap it's just not worth saving imo. Canna mono mag is just diluted Epsom salts, get it in salt form and it's way cheaper and will last forever if you keep it dry. Its so cheap I bought what I thought was small tub and 15kg bucket turned up lol

I think a few bath soaks are on the cards so I can get through itlol

• Like 2

Interesting. So not much point in a "smaller grower" stocking up on multiple 5Ls of grow and bloom that happen to be on sale. Better to buy as and when needed