Waiting for sexual maturity before taking cuttings?

Morning all,

I have an old lingering thought in the back of my head that we shouldn't take cuttings from a plant that isn't sexually mature - although I can't find anything online to confirm this?

I've taken some cuttings from some Feminised seedlings that are approx. 5 weeks old from germination - could these cuttings be grown on and developed in to mothers?

Would the answer be different if the seedlings were Regular instead of Feminised?

Cheers, DB :smokin:

• Like 1

It makes no difference either way...I usually sex regular seeds before taking cuttings.

And yes the cuttings you've taken can be grown on as mother's,  some people will grow the cuttings out and keep the original as a mother as I heard its meant to make for a stronger mother.

Edited by mr rhino
  • Like 3

I dont think it matters if the plant is sexually mature when you take cuttings at all - i have taken the tops of unsexed plants and rooted them out while waiting to sex them up - then flowering any girls and later on flowering the cuts

I would guess most people wait to sex plants up is that you then know the cuts are girls or not rather than wasting time taking cuttings of boys.

• Like 4
Just now, highgrower said:

I would guess most people wait to sex plants up is that you then know the cuts are girls or not rather than wasting time taking cuttings of boys.

Taking cuts after sexual maturity is probaby a misinterpretation of this ^ or flowering plants before sexual maturity, the latter of which isn't exactly harmful but they transition slower/stretch longer.

• Like 5

The only advantage by waiting until sexual maturity would be in the number of cuttings available from each plant. Assuming you top it a couple times, you would get 4times the number of cuttings.

To answer the questions directly. No it's not a problem.

Yes you can use as mother's.

Regs would benefit from sexing before cuttings are taken to eliminate males.

Good luck mate

• Like 2