Growing outdoors

KC420

Hi I’m new to the growing community, I was looking for advice I’m from Scotland and currently have 11 seed which are ready to start growing and I was wondering how to go about it. They are currently sitting in a plastic bag in kitchen roll that’s slightly damp which they’ve started to sprout,

any advice will be great

thanks 

• Like 3

Welcome aboard sir :yep:         Quite a few Scottish growers on here , me included , im down south but grow outdoors down here and just outside Glasgow :yep:

First question .... what are the seeds you have ?     Brand and name plz ,  also auto  / fem ??       

Ideally once you have a decent white tap root emitting from the seed you want to get it into a medium - soil / jiffy pellets etc ,   water the medium first then pop the seed in the medium with the tap root downwards , a light covering of more medium and you got 2 choices  ... either leave them covered by a bag / clingfilm in the dark until they emerge  OR  place them under a small lamp .Everyone has their own methodologies ,  i use a small seedling tube to start them off.     

Watering -  ideally room temp & been sat out for 24hrs to let the nasties settle then use it ,  i use a little dripper / pipette dropper so i dont over water ... too much will rot the seedling.  

Keep them as warm as poss under the lights until the roots show at the base of the seedling pot or jiffy cube ,  then pot onto a larger pot.  

Female seeds need to be potted up in stages as going to big in one jump can stunt the plant , better to root a pot out them move up.

Auto seeds need to go from the little ssedling pot / jiffy cube straight into their final within 3 wks.   

This should get you started sir ,  any further questions just shout , some really talented growers on here all happy to help :george:    No question too dumb !!

All the best with it & hope to see a diary up soon as its the best way to get the most out of this site.  

• Like 7

I think it’s UK star dawg I literally collected seeds for ages they’ve all sprouted a wee white stem, will need to think about growing them quickly. I’m from just outside Glasgow myself. 

• Like 2

If you are putting them in the garden use big pots with proper soil , you can get flower specific soil from hydroponics shops that has all the relevant nutrients. I used to be all about numbers and thought if i get more plants, that's more flower, but actually, its care and attention to each plant that gets good yields, with UK star dawg outdoor uk this late in the season you can still get decent yields. 

Good luck! 

• Like 2

I would attach a photo of what I’ve gotten the now but won’t let me, they need to be planted in bigger pots soon as they are sprouting 

Just use Jacks Magic ,  New Horizon ... any reasonable soil ,  both mentioned are cheap and hell you can grab it at the supermarket !  

Get the seeds ...with the white tap root pointing down and get them in soil ,  gently with the watering !!        just a small seedling pot will be fine,  yoghurt tub will do if needs be.   

The seeds will do the rest for you :yep:      Keep them in the shade until they establish ,  once you see roots coming out the base of the pot ... pot them up and into the sun.   

• Like 2

On 07/06/2023 at 6:46 PM, KC420 said:

Hi I’m new to the growing community, I was looking for advice I’m from Scotland and currently have 11 seed which are ready to start growing and I was wondering how to go about it. They are currently sitting in a plastic bag in kitchen roll that’s slightly damp which they’ve started to sprout,

any advice will be great

thanks 

When you put them out in their final pots make sure you don't over water them. Best to start off with just sprinkling water around the stems of the plants for the first couple of weeks. Bog standard multipurpose is just fine with tomato feed a couple of times a week after the first month or so. Weed grows just fine here in the UK in the garden and does't need any special attention up to the point where it starts to put on bud weight and that's where the problems start.

The main problem is mold. For a mold free experience you need to keep those buds dry. Buds get wet from rain and early morning dew. You can easily create a cover to protect against rain but early morning dew is the real problem. My experience is the only defence against that is to hump them inside somewhere where the air doesn't reach it's dew point such as a garage. Again my experience that means a 3 gallon pot max unless you want a hernia.

Anyway best of luck.

On 12/06/2023 at 6:24 PM, KC420 said:

I would attach a photo of what I’ve gotten the now but won’t let me, they need to be planted in bigger pots soon as they are sprouting 

large.IMG_0130.jpeg.50dc9843502297509214

large.IMG_0128.jpeg.170d7b236fba0b295412

There you go :) 

Once you upload your images(as you did),

then use the ‘Insert other media’ button under the reply box :yep:

then choose ’Insert existing attachment’ and a box will appear with the contents of your gallery of uploaded images.

The site is having some overdue upgrades coming,

most problems seem to be with Chromium based browsers such as Chrome etc.

A lot of people reporting that Firefox or DuckDuck works better for them.

Also Safari on Macs is fairly reliable.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

I can see that the one in the pink pot looks pretty dead,

but some of the others look like they still might make it :) 

What brand/type of compost are they in?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

It looks to heavy and wet I would say that's what killed the one in the pink cup damping off @KC420 is there holes in the bottom of those pots for drainage 

• Like 1

Yes and no, upon moving I believe it was slightly damaged. Pots have holes at bottom and it was raining before the photo, had to move them to a closed space 

• Like 1