What Nutrients do you use ?

The Jolly Gardener

I am new to growing so asking for advice please, I am 5 weeks in, and my plants are really healthy, so I know I'm doing something right, I am growing in compost with 1 part perlite to 2 parts vermiculite, with Elixir growmore 777 general purpose fertiliser (slow release) mixed in the soil, I also use a liquid seaweed feed once a week to spray on leaves and in the soil. I am considering getting some xpert nutrients Master Bloom, for the flowering stage. Is this enough, as when I look at the Feed charts, they suggest about 8 or 9 different feeds, or is this just a marketing ploy? 

what do you guys use? 

I'm using BioBizz try pack ... 3 small bottles of grow, top, bloom ... and using BioBizz all mix compost. However, I'm pretty new to today's grow stuff (2 decades since last grow)

Others here have much more knowledge on Nutes

:)

• Like 2

Intense are popular around here, they used to be a sponsor of the site. I grow mainly no till but I use biobizz root juice, fish mix and bloom when in small containers. From what I gather it's not the best brand out there but it's not the worst either. TBH IMO (and I might be wrong) there isn't a whole lot in it, most companies will use similar ingredients in similar ratios some will just be more concentrated than others. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it was the same stuff in a different bottle. 

Welcome to the site :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Jolly Gardener said:

just a marketing ploy

100% this.

Cannabis is just a plant and no other plant feed is spread across 9 bottles!

I don't know about Xpert Nutrients but Intense Organix Bloom is all you really need in the flowering stage. The BioBizz Bloom needs to be used in conjunction with either their Fish Mix or Grow (not both.)

• Like 4

Yeah that's a big part of why I grow no till, to me it seems most nutrient companies are trying to sell you loads of shit you don't need and encourage you to use more of it than you should, plus there's heaps of water in liquid nutrients which makes for a lot of unnecessary packaging. Once your realise you can grow a whole plant with a few tablespoons of powder and a few handfuls of chopped leaves it all seems a bit crazy. 

Problem now is even with no till there's companies jumping on the band wagon, creating all kinds of wonder potions and additives to over complicate things. The tinfoil hat wearer in me thinks It's all an effort to make plant nutrition seem complicated and unapproachable, so people will be less likely to learn for themselves, and more likely to just buy what they're told to and blindly follow the feeding charts. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 6

Im currently using Growers Ark A and B HW with the root tonic. 10% vingar for pH down. The GA tonic seems to be anaerobically fermented as it smells of sulphides. I have a 2 gallon bucket aerobically fermenting with TNC Bactorr S13 with an air pump and heat to 30c. Smells like the sea and no bad smells so far.

RE: root tonics

There seems to be lots of companies extracting this-and-that from seaweed and saying some component of it is doing the biz, when it's the whole thing doing the work.

Edited by catweazle1

4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

The tinfoil hat wearer in me thinks It's all an effort to make plant nutrition seem complicated and unapproachable, so people will be less likely to learn for themselves, and more likely to just buy what they're told to and blindly follow the feeding charts. 

I once quizzed a once popular nutrient manufacturer about the amount of P in one of their products, as cannabis doesn't need that much, and he told me "Its easier to give people what they want than to try and educate them" which kinda tells you everything innit.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Fatboy77 said:

What's yer pH without adjusting after adding food?  

Just measured with 2.5ml/L and 3ml/L RTonic pH is 6.8. 0.7ec base water. Most feeds will knock off about about 1 full unit of pH I find.

OOps. Reduce by 10x! Corrected to 2.5ml

Edited by catweazle1

29 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

"Its easier to give people what they want than to try and educate them"

It's so backwards isn't it, imagine paying a premium for cannabis specific nutrients and it's purposely been formulated wrong :wallbash:. I guess if that's what other companies have convinced people they want and you need to compete with said companies it almost kind of makes sense :headpain:

• Like 1

I been using Canna nutrients for a good few years now, really easy to use and the weed is banging (imo)

@Fatboy77 Yes, I haven't gone to the max. I'm still playing around with it. I've also dumped the silica as I'm not seeing any obvious benefit and given it a good whirl. I shall rely on what exists in the seaweed mix and water. I've got sats, sat-doms and indicas mixed up, so I'm kind of trying to find a happy compromise for them all while I'm messing around and filtering what plants I want to work with. My oldest are about two months vegged. I'm just keeping them low until I decide where I'm going. 

So this is after 5 weeks and topping off about 1.5 inches, does everything look ok guys ? 

large_w2.jpglarge_w1.jpglarge_w3.jpg

9 hours ago, The Jolly Gardener said:

I am new to growing so asking for advice please, I am 5 weeks in, and my plants are really healthy, so I know I'm doing something right, I am growing in compost with 1 part perlite to 2 parts vermiculite, with Elixir growmore 777 general purpose fertiliser (slow release) mixed in the soil, I also use a liquid seaweed feed once a week to spray on leaves and in the soil. I am considering getting some xpert nutrients Master Bloom, for the flowering stage. Is this enough, as when I look at the Feed charts, they suggest about 8 or 9 different feeds, or is this just a marketing ploy? 

what do you guys use? 

• Like 1