First Grow - Critical Mass X Northern Lights Auto

So I've decided to take the plunge and grow my own. I grow a handful of veg in the garden anyway and only recently discovered that cannabis can be grown outdoors. I always assumed we had the wrong conditions.

I purchased 3 x auto Northern Lights seeds, but my supplier didn't have any stock, so instead, they sent 25 Critical Mass X Northern Lights Auto seeds! Not sure what I will do with the spares!

large.20230531_132116.jpg

I plan on germinating three of them this weekend via the wet paper towel method and planting them into their final pots (16L fabric pots). I will be using BioBizz All Mix soil, not sure if I should be adding anything to this?

Two of the plants will be going outside in a poly greenhouse (for privacy reasons), and once they are more established, I will keep the door open and possibly add a vent to the top to combat humidity issues. The third plant will be a bit of an experiment and will be kept in my garage on a south-facing windowsill.

From my research, I believe I will need some nutrients from weeks 2-3 if anyone has any they would advise?

I'll aim to post regular updates here if anyone wants to follow along. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaydmjackson said:

I will be using BioBizz All Mix soil, not sure if I should be adding anything to this

I'm using biobizz all mix along with a biobizz 3 try pack nutes (from the big A). I've added some clay balls and some perlite, but you don't need to add anything to the biobizz ... now I'm an indoor grower, so needs may be different.

No need to feed for a couple of weeks with biobizz ... it's got enough mixed in.

Welcome to the forum :bong:

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to UK420 :) 

Good luck with your grow.

There are a lot of people who think you can't pot up autos,

so long as you do it way before the roots become too well developed they'll be fine.

Also All-mix can be a bit too strong(hot) for canna seedlings,

I'd recommend that you get a couple of small(4cm) pots and a wee bag of light mix or a basic seed compost from the garden centre.

It's much easier to control the moisture level in a smaller pot than in a 16l pot :yep:

Then you can pop into final pot after a week or so.

Atb

Ps I hope your username isn't too close to your real identity ;) 

:yinyang:

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

so long as you do it way before the roots become too well developed they'll be fine.

I'd recommend that you get a couple of small(4cm) pots and a wee bag of light mix or a basic seed compost from the garden centre.

It's much easier to control the moisture level in a smaller pot than in a 16l pot :yep:

Atb

I did (pot up autos) , mainly out of ignorance but I also wanted to continue the heat therapy from germination and into the first few days of breaking the soil and seedling development. I have a heated propagator (not a seed mat) so placed the seeds into damp cotton wool balls and into a re-seal sandwich bag. That was then placed onto a folded microfibre cloth and into the heated propagator. After germination (24 hrs) I placed the seeds into small pots and back into the heated propagator. I placed a small bowl of water in the propagator as well for humidity. After 2 days the seedlings broke through and after another 7 days they were in their pots in the greenhouse. The seedlings look very healthy so hopefully I haven't harmed them in any way

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

Atb

Good point regarding the username! It's not too close but probably closer than it ought to be! Not sure how to change it/delete this account....... 

@disco survivor yeah being able to keep them warm,

either on a heat mat or in a heated propagator while young is a great reason to use small pots to begin with :yep:

Atb

• Like 3

large.6478630112c94_cbdph3.jpglarge.647ad3a04fdde_cbdday14.jpg

Just a quick update from one complete novice cannabis grower to another. I'm on day 14 (from placing the seeds into a sandwich bag for germination).

In the greenhouse the plants are growing at a rapid rate. The images show the plant on Thursday this week and then 48 hrs later. From experience of growing plenty of other fruit and veg, I think the plant you are looking to put on the windowsill will be staved of light (even on a south facing windowsill) and the stem will grow too long, thin and weak. Just from my short time with this grow I can see that these plants are very susceptible to reduced light environments.

I have an auto opening window and one manual opening window in this greenhouse so ventilation is excellent. My advice on set up in a poly greenhouse would be to place a 40l bag of compost on the floor and cut a rectangle out of the top. Then cut the entire bottom out of a builders bucket and place on top of the compost bag. Fill the builders bucket with your chosen growing medium. The roots from the plant will penetrate deep into the compost bag and you'll have a very healthy plant to train. These plants grow to over 2m tall in the wild which tells me instantly that they are a deep rooting species. Cut a hole in the poly greenhouse (3 sides leaving the top attached) and use duct tape to make a flap for your window.  I used ground meters for melons and cucumbers when I first started growing them that I purchased from Wilko (£6 each). I'm using them now for this grow. They measure pH, light and water saturation of the growing medium. They are surprisingly accurate and a good general guide (especially for water saturation). 

• Like 3