Going back to organic nutes

ratdog

i found out last night, and probably later than most, that salt based nutrients can kill worms and microorganisms, so i am going back to organic nutes as soon as mine are used up, luckily i have only added them to my garden a couple of times this year so far.

now i know my issues are mainly magnesium driven there's no need for me to be using salt based stuff, i only started using it because i was having problems :russian:

just wanted to let the gg growers know as well, if you are using salt based nutes it's not good if you want our friends in the soil helping you.

• Like 3

Can you get a hold of shrimp and crab meal? 

I mix that into my soil and topdress with it and it seems to do the trick for all mag and cal needs. 

• Like 5

I have just found out that Bio Bizz soil is shit :) (reading a few threads) because the bag I have just bought seems a lot diferent to the ones I was buying last year, this one is full of twigs and it looks like long strands of coco fibre wtf!!! So am going on the strength of a well known grower on here to go with the canna terra pro. Anyone else use this ? and what are their organic nutes like ?

Sorry for hijacking @ratdog but your thread seemed very apt at the time of reading :)

Vill

ps I got baby pd14's and chelatos :)

Edited by The Villan
  • Like 3

Talking about shitty soil, that sounds exactly like some stuff a friend is importing from the Netherlands under the name BVB peat moss medical grade. 

Full of twigs, lumps of wood, weird fiber that looks identical to coco coir but they claim in a type of Peat, some weird fungus of mold growing in the bags that later starts to sprout what looks like oyster mushroom and some yellow mushroom and a shit load of fungus gnats it seems. 

Can the little fuckers live inside a bag of soil for months at a time before opening to use? 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ratdog said:

now i know my issues are mainly magnesium driven

Glad to see the penny has finally dropped lol

• Like 2

Just now, Thai Stick said:

yellow mushroom

Oh fuck that sounds like the birnies! :unsure:

They'll steal yer dog and burn yer house down them! ...

...in all seriousness leucocoprinus birnbaumii aka the yellow plant pot dapperling isn't exactly edible but it won't hurt yer plants at all :yep:

• Like 2

Has anyone tried using appropriately dosed dolomite solution, maybe with a dash of traces to prepare the RO water?

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Glad to see the penny has finally dropped lol

funny how you never mentioned that to me lol

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Villan said:

Sorry for hijacking

no worries, get some violet farm organic compost and mix with 50% coco, it's bloody lovely!

30 minutes ago, ratdog said:

funny how you never mentioned that to me lol

Maybe not directly (although I'm sure i have) but I've made loads of posts about calcium and magnesium ratios in general and I know other members (like oldbear) have tried to help you with the same thing directly and also made posts about this very issue before countless times, for ages. 

But anyway it doesn't matter now and like I said, glad the penny has finally dropped :yep:lol 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Villan said:

Anyone else use this ?

I was using it until recently, I think it's great and very consistent but I found a good peat based compost at a garden centre now so I'm using that instead. Mainly because it's a lot cheaper and I dispose of my compost at the recycling centre so it's more subtle without perlite I feel. Never tried their organic nutes though so I can't comment on those.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

I mix that into my soil and topdress with it and it seems to do the trick for all mag and cal needs. 

Second this, bone meal is a good shout too for that, or both if you got em!

I grew really tired of the bagged stuff, Canna Bio Terra Plus was the best but even then still had random shit and gnats in it. Your miles may vary depending on where you are.

For my current run I built my soil from the bottom up and its the best my plants have ever looked. Got all the meals in there :skull:

Oh and why is this in the hydro section :headpain:

6 hours ago, GSZZ said:

Maybe not directly

no, the last time you were saying my watering was wrong lol

any way, i sorted it out myself in the end, nothing to do with ratios, i just needed more than was in the growers ark nutes :yep:

besides, this thread isn't about my problems with water, it's about killing worms and microorganisms, something i think we all need to be aware of as it never seems to get a mention from what i can see.

as for oldbear, he was telling me that growers ark know what they are doing and i must be doing something wrong, so forgive me if i didn't jump on his little fan train

Edited by ratdog
  • Like 1

With all the runoff my garden gets, I can’t say that I’ve noticed a decline in the worm population, how do you check?