Laptops

MindSoup

13 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Okay I kind of follow you, how do I go about looking for a laptop that has one? 

lol let me try explain a bit further for you bro

We have GPUs (graphic chips) and CPUs (processing chips), typically they come separately and attached to a motherboard.

We also have APUs (aka Integrated Graphics), these are GPUs and CPUs on the same chip - and thy have become increasingly popular recently especially within laptop builds. AMD is the company really pushing this tech front.

Here is where it gets a little more confusing. 

The 'APU' terminology is only used by AMD, Intel doesn't distinguish between their chips as almost all Intel chips are 'APUs' they just don't call them that. 

Laptops with APUs sometimes also come with GPUs - this would be a more expensive option. So you're looking for laptops with APUs (Integrated Graphics) but without GPU (aka Discreet Graphic Cards) - AMD is your most likely option here. 

AMD APUs for laptops are chips that end in C, H, HX, HS, U (for example: AMD Ryzen 7 6800H
So you're looking for a laptop that has a chip that ends in any of those letters above. 

Drop whatever models you're looking at and have questions on in here, will gladly help. 

• Like 2

That's some really helpful info thanks dude, I think something with good integrated graphics is a happy medium for me. 

One thing @Military Grade grade mentioned over PM was the difference between Radeon and Vega APUs, Vega being the better option, is there a specific letter for a vega APU? 

Honestly either would be good for you. AFAIK Radeon are newer and Vega are desktop and not laptop? I might be wrong on that though.

Radeon on its own was older tech, but in recent years e.g ‎Ryzen 5 3500U comes with a ‎AMD Radeon Vega 8 and other versions in laptops, the G versions of the CPU's are the ones more commonly found for desktops e.g AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600G.

• Like 1

Just Incase anyone is interested, the difference between a laptop and desktop versions of Vega graphics in performance.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 1

Oh right I see, well I'm my price range the only ones I can find with vega have the 5 3500u which seems a bit dated now. 

I've decided to go for an HP Probook 445 G9 14 inch. It's got the Ryzen 5 5625U, 8gb ram and a 256gb NVME SSD all for 350 delivered. 

• Like 2

Just now, Military Grade said:

Just Incase anyone is interested, the difference between a laptop and desktop versions of Vega graphics in performance.

Definitely a noticeable difference, but to my eye it's hard to say that one is better than the other, TBF though I'm used to stuff like keeper FX and Corsix TH lol

• Like 1

Looks like the Ryzen 5625U does have vega after all, 7 though not 8. I've no idea what those number mean but it looks like it's at least half capable. 

• Like 1

Laptop has arrived, obviously it's fresh out of the box but it seems nice and snappy and the keyboard is nice to type on. Currently downloading a few games to see what it can run. 

Thanks for all the advice and guidance gang :hippy:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thought i'd ask in here to save creating a new topic..

I'm after a new (happy for it to be refuburbished) laptop. for about £250, maybe £300 max. We've currently got an old Dell lattitude and an old HP probook that have both been properly trashed by the kids. I was actually happy with both, but i prefer the Dell and it has withstood being dropped, thrown, trod on etc. much better than the HP.

Its for my missus to use for work. No major requirements. General internet use, emails etc. She does a fair bit of design stuff on canva, inkjet and inkscape and she has started designing websites. She does all the advertising design stuff and media for my landscaping business, so i'm thinking not a tiny screen. She's also good at filling up computers with photo's and music so half decent memory would be helpfull, but i do try and back them all up as often as possible.

Happy for it to be refurbished as it wont be travelling about much and a new/good battery life isn't that important. Don't want a tower and screen as we're tight for space being in a static.

Any advice on what to buy and where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.

Nice one.

There's Morgan Computers and laptopsdirect that will have refurb stock of HP, Dell and Asus in that price range.
Saw a new unit on scan's website earlier too but spec is as you would expect for that kind of money. Item is LN131668.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2023 at 9:15 PM, the lone deranger said:

Thought i'd ask in here to save creating a new topic..

I'm after a new (happy for it to be refuburbished) laptop. for about £250, maybe £300 max. We've currently got an old Dell lattitude and an old HP probook that have both been properly trashed by the kids. I was actually happy with both, but i prefer the Dell and it has withstood being dropped, thrown, trod on etc. much better than the HP.

Its for my missus to use for work. No major requirements. General internet use, emails etc. She does a fair bit of design stuff on canva, inkjet and inkscape and she has started designing websites. She does all the advertising design stuff and media for my landscaping business, so i'm thinking not a tiny screen. She's also good at filling up computers with photo's and music so half decent memory would be helpfull, but i do try and back them all up as often as possible.

Happy for it to be refurbished as it wont be travelling about much and a new/good battery life isn't that important. Don't want a tower and screen as we're tight for space being in a static.

Any advice on what to buy and where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.

Nice one.

I just bought a reconditioned laptop with a 3 year dell warranty from europc.co.uk. quick delivery and their prices seem good 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Absurdist said:

I just bought a reconditioned laptop with a 3 year dell warranty from europc.co.uk. quick delivery and their prices seem good 

how much, and what specs? thanks