Laptops

MindSoup

Hello Chums 

Should be starting a new job in a few days (thanks @Lubdub) , I'll be needing a new laptop and a headset. 

I'm skint AF, but I don't want to cheap out on an absolute POS. Thinking 200-250, is that going to get me something worth having or should I dig a little deeper? I don't want to buy 2nd hand, I'd consider a refurb but it does seem like "refurbished" is a pretty loose term.

Would be nice to run some games as well, mostly into old god/RTS games like aoe and dungeon keeper/keeper fx, but I really like the look of Timberborn, however I'm aware something powerful enough to run that might be out of reach. 

Pretty clueless about computers, there's some many different numbers and letters :headpain:, i3, i5? 8th gen, 10th gen etc. 

Someone tell what to buy lol

Oh yeah I need quick delivery as well 

TIA

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

i would go for sumat you can upgrade in future theres sum decent laptops on currys acer aspire i5

Due to the nature of laptops seeming overpriced because you have to pay for the screen and battery on top of the hardware makes them hard to get something decent for cheap, is finance within your options?

I'm not the biggest laptop fan but fully understand their place and are the only choice in some situations. If it was me I would try and get a new Ryzen with built in Vega graphics chip on finance, this would be your best bang for buck atm and you would be able to play a lot more variety of games.

• Like 3

Yeah I know what you mean, I'd much rather be buying a new tower, but I'll need to be able to take it with me wherever I go.

Not a huge fan of finance, but It'll be going on a 0% credit card so I guess its not really any different. 

Aspire I5 appears to be 800 quid? That's quite a lot more than I'm comfortable paying, but I do like the idea of being able to upgrade it in the future. TBH I don't really understand what 

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

a new Ryzen with built in Vega graphics chip

Means lol

I guess maybe a refurb is on the cards, is there anywhere reputable to buy one? 

I went down the refurb route for my lenovo think pad, 6months and I was given a (refurbed battery) now I cant use it wothout it being plugged in, but I did like the lenovo newer model so got the missus to get me one, but it was 500 notes.

• Like 1

500 is a bit less scary, what model is it? 

If I can't play the latest games I won't be too bothered, after 8hrs of work I'll probably be ready to turn the thing off for the most part. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

Aspire I5 appears to be 800 quid? That's quite a lot more than I'm comfortable paying, but I do like the idea of being able to upgrade it in the future

I would avoid Acer products, they are notorious for bad build quality.  99% of laptops you can only upgrade the ram and storage, the CPU and GPU are Soldid to the motherboard.

Means lol

They are a CPU with a built in GPU chip that share the ram used to be called APU,s like you find in consoles, they are a lot cheaper than buying dedicated cpu and gpu. :yep:

• Like 1

Okay I kind of follow you, how do I go about looking for a laptop that has one? 

Oh and I forgot to mention, DJ software. That's more important than games TBF. 

500 is a bit less scary, what model is it? 

If I can't play the latest games I won't be too bothered, after 8hrs of work I'll probably be ready to turn the thing off for the most part. 

V15 G2-ALC Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 82KD

Vill

22 minutes ago, The Villan said:

V15 G2-ALC Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 82KD

Vill

Looks like I can get one for 360 off laptops direct. 

11 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Asus VivoBook  8Gb ram, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx approx £350  

I can't quite figure out the exact one

you mean, looks about the same price as Vills suggestion, how does it stack up spec wise? 

• Like 1

@MindSoup, I cant find it either :-)  I got mine for working at home a couple of years ago, so it's probably obselete now, but works for me.

I'm not 'techy' at all so probably best to listen to someone more knowlegeable.

• Like 1

Goodluck with the new job, have a look on hotukdeals. There is usually a few on there with people discussing them 

• Like 1

@Pushka you and me both, all these numbers and different generations and shit, so hard to keep up. 

@someladnice one. Now I haven't looked on there. I'll check it out. 

• Like 1