what is the best fertiliser to use?

Whammyc

hey guys wondering what you lot use to fertilise? all my plots are new so haven't done any prep. was wondering would putting them in abit of compost and slow release ferts underneath that be enough to tide them over? as the roots will take a few weeks to work their way down through the compost? 

ive done my fair share of coming this forum and it seems like everyone does it differently. 

i was thinking chicken pellets at first under the compost then potash when the time to flower comes. but just read on a website growmore breaks down alot quicker than chicken pellets. so maybe that?

i see someone says they use Q4 vitamix aswell which looks abit more well rounded. 

i really like the idea of the miracle grow pellets or osmocote that say they feed for 6 months but i dont know if they will be flushed out come harvest time. especially with autos. im growing autos and photos 

as you can tell im not very knowledgable on the whole outdoor feeding. theres so much choice i just get confused.

easy way to some it up is, if a friend wanted to start guerilla growing what would you tell them to do? 

• Like 2

Start earlier next year but all depends on your soil type. You won't go wrong with fbb mixed half way down with worm castings and perlite . Mychorrhizal funghi on transplant.

Sulphate of potash topdress at onset of flower 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Whammyc said:

hey guys wondering what you lot use to fertilise? all my plots are new so haven't done any prep. was wondering would putting them in abit of compost and slow release ferts underneath that be enough to tide them over? as the roots will take a few weeks to work their way down through the compost? 

ive done my fair share of coming this forum and it seems like everyone does it differently. 

i was thinking chicken pellets at first under the compost then potash when the time to flower comes. but just read on a website growmore breaks down alot quicker than chicken pellets. so maybe that?

i see someone says they use Q4 vitamix aswell which looks abit more well rounded. 

i really like the idea of the miracle grow pellets or osmocote that say they feed for 6 months but i dont know if they will be flushed out come harvest time. especially with autos. im growing autos and photos 

as you can tell im not very knowledgable on the whole outdoor feeding. theres so much choice i just get confused.

easy way to some it up is, if a friend wanted to start guerilla growing what would you tell them to do? 

this time...begin june,....its to late for organic manure..

so you need chemical now....best is osmocote....a slow release...for all time of the grow...

in januar of feb.....its organics....till medio april.....( 3/4 WEEKS BEFORE planting )

i explaned and gave exact and ready to use recepts in this topic.

Npk 101, Nutes And Ferts. - Page 2 - Guerrilla Growing - UK420

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4

miracle grow is the same as osmocote...and no they are slow release....with no or lil chanche of burning.

the normal chem nutes flush out in a week with rain....and then you need to apply again......and there is risk of burning

• Like 3

Is it too late to mix in composted manure to the soil? Partiularly if planting out is still 2-3 weeks away?

• Like 1

I have zero experience GGing, but would say a 10% addition of charged biochar, not provide a more consistent nutrient source requiring less need of attention?

• Like 3

I don't recommend slow release ferts like Osmocote for autos. They, if grown in decent compost, have a short window in which they can be fed. As your auto gets to late flowering, which can be only 5 or 6 weeks after transplant, its need for feed decreases. Slow-release ferts tend to continue breaking down for longer than this and there's nothing you can do about it by this point.

It's too late for hot composting but not for cold composting. Try Alpaca or rabbit poo. They can be added directly to your container (or in the ground) without having to wait it out. Comfrey is another good option. 

Edited by Clubs
Grammar
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, dingo bingo said:

Is it too late to mix in composted manure to the soil? Partiularly if planting out is still 2-3 weeks away?

in that case.....better is 3 to 4 weeks.....and you have to water in very good ( not all plots have water ).....since in dry earth....there will not be rappid bacteria growth...

its the bacteria and the ground life thats makes the organic manure available to the plant......

chem nutes...this feeds direct on the roots.....they dont need bacteria/groundlife

thats the basic difference between the organic and chem nutes.

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Clubs said:

I don't recommend slow release ferts like Osmocote for autos.

there are manny variants in osmocote....

grow and or bloom....

2 months....3 months....4 months ...6 months...

so there is osmocote for all kind of plants....  with the needs of npk for a specific plant or tree...

maybe not available in the normal greensupermarkets...but for famers yes...

Edited by DutchFox

3 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

there are manny variants in osmocote....

grow and or bloom....

2 months....3 months....4 months ...6 months...

so there is osmocote for all kind of plants....  with the needs of npk for a specific plant or tree...

maybe not available in the normal greensupermarkets...but for famers yes...

2 months is possibly still too long for an auto, probably fine with regs and I can see the benefits in that case. The issue is, it's all guess work; overdo it and your plants suffer, underdo it and what then? Add more and have the ferts releasing for even longer? At an absolute max, I'd perhaps consider a dash of Vitax Q4 granules (4 week feed) npk 336, but these slow release formulas are too much of a guessing game for me.

Autoflowers grow and flower so quickly that you need a tailored feed program that can be adjusted. Or stick with organics and let the soil life do the work for you.

But honestly,  whatever works for you. Just because I've had bad experiences with the stuff, doesn't mean someone else will. I'm only basing this on what I've seen for myself. 7

• Like 1