Acceptable temperature range

5Lip

I’ve read loads today about keeping temps both low and high and fully aware there are many factors which can affect temp but what I’m wondering is “what is an acceptable range?” before it becomes problematic. For example it’s 32 degree C in my grow room today and I know that’s high but is it too high? Vice versa for the lows

FWIW I’m growing 2 plants in an insulated room in a shed at around 25 degrees controlled/ can’t imagine the temps in some of the loft grows

You're safe between 24-31 degrees. Lower and you risk a cold rootzone and slow growth, and too high you risk wrecking the trichomes and slow growth.

Edited by Lubdub
  • Like 3

I suppose if the InkBird’s saying 32 and the sensor is attached to the rim of the pot, the rootball would be a couple degrees lower?

I've been vegging at 13c-18c and things have been fine as long as the media doesn't stay soaked for too long and the roots can access air. What I'm finding is, the colder it is, the more granular media you need. At ideal temps 25+ a highly granular media will dry out too fast unless you are prepared to water more often. What an acceptable temperature range is, depends somewhat on the air availabilty in the roots and not sat in an oxygen-depriving water barrier for too long. In cooler temperatures the plant will take the water more slowly and the cooler air evaporate less, so the potential for drowning is greater.

• Like 3

@5Lip heatmat sensor is good pushed into the growing medium so it's an inch or so from the bottom of the pot, avoids overcooked roots, and as for ambient temperatures I've had locations in summers indoors that would consistently hit 40°c+ and whilst that's far from ideal, very far, the plants still grow, yeah they don't like it but they'll still give you something, IME anyway, but I'm an eyes closed hands off don't stress about it kinda gardener, or in other words I'm not very good or professional when it comes to growing but I am ok ish enough to provide my own alternative meds, no dealers or doctors here thank you very much. Inkbirds/heatmat should be for warming the root zone not the tent! 

Edited by Should Know Betterer
Blah blah
  • Like 1