Doff slug pellets.

The mole 42000

Hey GG’ers. I don’t suppose anybody knows the effects slug pellets can have on wildlife or the soil it’s being applied to? From what google tells me it causes next to no harm but a few people on insta have been concerned by the amount of them I’ve put down and them leaching chemicals into the floor. I’ve never noticed anything myself but if it does cause problems to wildlife I’d rather dig them back up and not use them. All the bugs and worms in my soil seem to be happy and wriggly so I don’t actually know if they do cause harm but would like to know. I dumped 2 bottles around 20 plants and probably won’t add any more unless we have a foul bit of weather come June or July. I do the same every year and haven’t seen any negative effects other than for slugs and snails. I have to physically peel up a jelly like slab of them after a few weeks lol  

The old ones (metaldehyde) where pretty bad, anything that ate the slug that had eaten the pellet would also be poisoned, but the new ferric phosphate ones are far less harmful. Either way unless you've got like a thick layer all over a big area I can't see it harming your plants. 

• Like 1

Ones from wilkos are basically iron so it's pretty much a concentrate mineral the plant need some a that any ways .

On 27-5-2023 at 11:26 AM, The mole 42000 said:

Hey GG’ers. I don’t suppose anybody knows the effects slug pellets can have on wildlife or the soil it’s being applied to? From what google tells me it causes next to no harm but a few people on insta have been concerned by the amount of them I’ve put down and them leaching chemicals into the floor. I’ve never noticed anything myself but if it does cause problems to wildlife I’d rather dig them back up and not use them. All the bugs and worms in my soil seem to be happy and wriggly so I don’t actually know if they do cause harm but would like to know. I dumped 2 bottles around 20 plants and probably won’t add any more unless we have a foul bit of weather come June or July. I do the same every year and haven’t seen any negative effects other than for slugs and snails. I have to physically peel up a jelly like slab of them after a few weeks lol  

1 slug can make 500 egg...and them multiple times in a year....

so the best is to wipe out the population medio april......and plant begin may....

thats the stategie farmers also follow...

im a true nature lover...but sorry for the pellets...good or no good for nature.....its the harvest....or its the food for slugs....

and im happy to still have the metaldehyde pellets( not sold anymore ) ....from belgium....they dont wash away in rain....and are very effective...

to keep pellets dry....

this works...

its a drinking water thing for pigions.

slugs smell the pellets...and will go in...

Plastic Duivendrinkbak Grijs 2 Ltr - Tuinmeubel webwinkel

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 3

I don't like using them at all not at my plot anyway there I just leave them a few leaves I cut off scattered around to munch on instead of the plants.

But I been having trouble with slugs eating my beans so googled nematodes and there's a new one out bit more expensive but less hassle to use just sprinkle the pellets over area and water.

They are called nemaknights and just noticed they do one for fungas gnats and thrips

Edited by murphyblue
Last line
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, DutchFox said:

1 slug can make 500 egg...and them multiple times in a year....

so the best is to wipe out the population medio april......and plant begin may....

thats the stategie farmers also follow...

im a true nature lover...but sorry for the pellets...good or no good for nature.....its the harvest....or its the food for slugs....

and im happy to still have the metaldehyde pellets( not sold anymore ) ....from belgium....they dont wash away in rain....and are very effective...

glad someone agrees with me man :)  I didn’t know that was a farming technique btw I must just be a natural born farmer due to being Welsh as I’ve always done the same, get rid of them come April plant out in may and rarely get slug attacks, then I hear horror stories and see them from others for not wanting to just use the good old slug pellets lolive also got some old as hell slug pellets from like the 90’s I opened them the other day and it smelled like it’d kill me as well as a slug, chemically as hell. I went with modern stuff though just incase it poisons me lol 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, murphyblue said:

I don't like using them at all not at my plot anyway there I just leave them a few leaves I cut off scattered around to munch on instead of the plants.

But I been having trouble with slugs eating my beans so googled nematodes and there's a new one out bit more expensive but less hassle to use just sprinkle the pellets over area and water.

They are called nemaknights and just noticed they do one for fungas gnats and thrips

I shall look into these, I’ve got something there causing little holes now, probably thrips. Black brown shiny spots as well from something. 

21 hours ago, DutchFox said:

to keep pellets dry....

this works...

its a drinking water thing for pigions.

slugs smell the pellets...and will go in...

Plastic Duivendrinkbak Grijs 2 Ltr - Tuinmeubel webwinkel

That’s a decent idea much like the beer trick, get stuck in there you fuckers lol 

Ferric phosphate are fine mate much less harmful than the old ones that are now banned in the UK.. im very much a wildlife lover too be nothing else works dispite what some people think.. blue bullets will take these fukers out and im all for it :yep:

Don't listen to this insta rubbish bruvva the doff pellets are fine :yep: