Crow River

Nice update mate, but shame to hear about the stem rot man!

Has it been a wet period the last week(s)?

I do hope you got it tackled now and that it won't spread any further.

Rot and fungus can be such a bitch outdoors, and can also be spread from neighboring plants that were taken by these.

Great to see some flower appearing though! Cheers

• Like 1

@Antonio_DutchPassion, yeah been a bit wet lately, but I think maybe the branches were damaged, either by the wind or an animal or bird. The plant next to this one also had a damaged branch, but no rot that I could see. They are both on the southernmost row, so are the least sheltered from strong gusts if the come from the southeast.

I'll pop down at the weekend and if the Shaman girl is still suffering I'll salvage what I can and dispose of the plant if need be to stop rot spreading to others.

• Like 2

Went to the bramble plot yesterday, bathed in glorious sunshine with a refreshing breeze. Could almost have been midsummer, if it wasn't for the dead, shrivelled blackberries and bright red rosehips everywhere. 

The rot has started to take hold of several girls, including the Shaman which had a couple of dead branches a week ago. I did spot rot in the top bud last visit, and should have removed it then. A week later, and the entire top bud has rotted away. It seems though that, despite some visible damage to the stem lower down, that the rot has not really spread to other buds or branches, at least not yet. I may have caught the top bud just in time, well that's the hope anyway.

Here's the girl in question. Not looking too bad considering.

large.IMG_20230925_164647.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164656.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164716.jpeg

After removing the top bud and yellowing leaves

large.IMG_20230925_174155.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_174203.jpeg

I'm a bit relieved that I didn't have to discard the whole plant. Not only because there's still a chance to harvest lower buds, but also as this girl is in a relatively exposed place on the south side of the plot, she is helping to shelter other plants behind her. If I'd removed her, they might have suffered similar damage, and maybe been less able to cope with it.

The weather is getting stormy this evening, with high winds and heavy rains forecast for the next couple of days. That may well finish a few girls off, but there's not much I can do so we'll see. I shall be visiting every week now, checking for any damage and rot until harvest.

The other two Shaman are doing just fine. Nice and healthy, building buds up, all good so far. Some pics...

large.IMG_20230925_164558.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164607.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164625.jpeg

large.IMG_20230925_164806.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164814.jpeglarge.IMG_20230925_164831.jpeg

All the girls got a handful of bonemeal and a root drench with Flower Power. Also gave the damaged plant some liquid seaweed.

I'll be back down at the weekend, so will update with any further developments then. 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

@blerie420, that's the way it goes, eh? I'm just keeping everything crossed that there won't be too much carnage over the next couple of weeks... Still, I can't complain. I've been relatively lucky this season so far, didn't lose much from the summer auto crop. If there's more damage, I'll do what I can, and harvest some girls early if need be.

• Like 2

@blerie420, very kind of you to say so mate. Probably helps that I started with good genetics. You can try to coax them along, get the plot sorted, feed them adequately, but in the end if the strain is suited to where you're growing that's half the battle I reckon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in the week went to the bramble plot to harvest a couple of girls that had been affected by rot the week before. I probably should have taken them sooner, but I had no bags to do so last visit. I did take extra bags too just in case other girls were affected. Dry, with some sun, and pretty windy that day. Good for drying plants out after the previous night's showers. 

When I arrived I could see immediately that the rot situation had got worse. Went round checking all the girls, and decided to chop a few more as not only were they ready, but I needed to stop the rot as the expression goes. 

Plot on arrival

large.IMG_20231003_145250.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_145312.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_145343.jpeg

You can see even from a distance that a couple of girls have lost tops to rot. Yeah, I really should have chopped those two earlier. Lesson learned, as Croptober draws near, take bags just in case... Other girls that had rot included the damaged Shaman, and three other plants. Thankfully, that was it.

Shaman

large.IMG_20231003_145555.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_145613.jpeg

So all these girls were chopped. I threw away any tops or lowers that were rotten, they're in what might be my compost pile if I come back here next season. I also put aside some buds that only had a small amount of rot, or needed further inspection. They went in "bud surgery" bags to be worked on back at base. 

The positive side was that I didn't really lose that much thankfully. If I'd waited until after this week's forecast rain, it might have been a very different story. Another plus was noticing that another two girls were pretty much finished, and no rot. So I chopped them too. Just about had enough paper carrier bags with me for all the girls that I harvested. 

Harvest bags

large.IMG_20231003_162813.jpeg

Bud surgery bags

large.IMG_20231003_162822.jpeg

On the evidence from this plot at any rate, it seems that fast versions really do finish a bit earlier. Very welcome for a staggered harvest. 

After taking several girls, the plot has opened up quite a bit. Good for airflow to the remaining girls, but possibly also more risk of wind damage. Mind you, they all seemed to be coping with the gusty breeze. They are all in flower and all looking fantastic. I removed yellow or dying leaves from all the girls and gave them a root drench of Flower Power and also liquid seaweed. For some this was their last feed. 

Apart from the remaining fast versions, I estimate all the others have some way to go before finishing. I'll continue to visit more regularly, and if I need to take some early to avoid big losses to rot, I will.

Shaman x 2

large.IMG_20231003_163137.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_163141.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_163251.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_163259.jpeg

Plot after first harvest

large.IMG_20231003_163814.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_163829.jpeglarge.IMG_20231003_163854.jpeg

I've been keeping a close eye on the weather forecast this week, knowing that I have a few fast and early version girls nearly ready to harvest. Saw that a 24 hour downpour was predicted for the weekend, I decided I would chop them all on Friday. Not just the two at the bramble plot, but also one at the railway, and four at the embankment.

This led to a frantic scramble around all three sites this afternoon after work. Went to the railway first, took a girl back to base, loaded up with paper bags and bin liners, then off to the bramble plot. Two plants were ready. I trimmed fan leaves, then took buds into paper bags. It started to rain while I was doing the second girl. Double bagged them in bin liners, then off to the embankment plot.

I only had less than an hour before sunset, and the girls were all wet from the rain. So no point and no time to trim fan leaves on site. No point using paper bags either. So quick and dirty harvest time. Chopped three girls, and put straight into bin liners. Took about 30 minutes. 

With those tall girls gone from the front row, the plants in the row behind, and a couple of smaller girls will get more sunlight, which should be beneficial.

I'm pretty pleased that I managed to catch a couple of girls just in time. I don't think they would have fared very well in the current heavy rain. Only one early version still out, plus the lower part of ta semi-auto. The rest are all full season strains. All are now in flower except one wee plant.

Bramble plot before second harvest

large.IMG_20231006_164601.jpeglarge.IMG_20231006_164616.jpeglarge.IMG_20231006_164839.jpeg

Bramble plot after second harvest

large.IMG_20231006_180021.jpeglarge.IMG_20231006_180037.jpeglarge.IMG_20231006_180101.jpeg

Embankment plot before harvest

large.IMG_20231006_182024.jpeg

Embankment plot after harvest

large.IMG_20231006_184217.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

You've been busy mate! :thumsup:

Hope you got everything home safe and that you can enjoy some buds within a few days/weeks! :skin_up:

• Like 1

Went to the bramble plot for the first time in over a week. I took paper bags ready to chop any girls that might be ready. Also carried bottles of Flower Power to give them all a root drench.

Unfortunately, the rot has been steadily attacking the girls at this plot. Also quite a few broken branches on several plants, I'm assuming wind damage. All lowers, some were still attached and alive, others had fallen away and lay dead on the ground. I went round salvaging snapped branches from a couple of girls, but it was too late for the ones from the tall Shaman. Both Shaman were affected by rot, the smaller had her main cola all rotted, plus some lower tops; the taller girl had just a couple of patches on lower tops. A pity because they look maybe a week away from finishing otherwise. Three other plants quite badly affected too. Reckon the huge downpour last weekend has not been good for these girls. If we hadn't had some nice sunshine the past few days, might have been even worse. Cut out buds from the affected girls, some went straight on the compost, others had some basic surgery on site and will be triple checked back at base.  

I am probably going to return in a couple of days, and will most likely either chop all the girls that have had rot, or do a progressive harvest, taking tops and leaving lowers a bit longer. I'll assess the situation then, but will be prepared if need be. Given that the girls that had some rot are unlikely to fare very well during days of constant rain, I might just take them all early. So potentially could be harvesting five plants, plus uppers from another two.

Bramble plot on arrival

large.IMG_20231015_160244.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_160323.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_160358.jpeg

Shaman x 2

large.IMG_20231015_160457.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_160503.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_160526.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_160537.jpeg

Bramble plot after third harvest

large.IMG_20231015_165631.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_165646.jpeglarge.IMG_20231015_165715.jpeg

• Like 5

The big Shaman seems to be best one, also the least affected by budrot or not?

Would be nice to have a clone of a pheno like that I guess, shame you didn't have any purple/pink pheno though.

Good luck with the last harvest anytime soon mate, better salvage what you have now then loose it all.

How is the weather forecast this week for ya?

• Like 1

@Antonio_DutchPassion, yeah I should have taken some cuts for sure. The big girl is now the tallest on the plot, and seems fairly tough. Maybe I'll get the pink pheno another time. It has been a really tough season for these plants. Amazing they survived all the rain to this point.

I'll be heading to the plot tomorrow to harvest, as the forecast is for rain from Wednesday for days, with no real respite until Sunday night. I can't imagine these girls surviving that, as presumably rot spores are all over them...

• Like 3

Got all the bud from the first and second harvests trimmed and jarred now. Unfortunately I lost all of the first Shaman to mould and rot after harvesting. 

A storm is due to arrive tomorrow night, so I will head out tomorrow to chop the two Shaman girls that are still standing. 

• Like 2